• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

New Member - Probably Same ol' Questions

AlexDyle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I LOVE writing, and I've only been doing it for myself for about two years now. It's hard work, but addictive.
I am writing a creative non-fiction concerning twelve years of my life. It's about growing up and eventually being in war.
I am a little verbose and I'm afraid not everything will be of interest for my (expected very small) audience.
I've cut and cut, but I am still at 132,000 words. Is it too much. I've read lots of books longer, but even while searching now for editors I see that everyone suggests aiming for a shorter book.
Well, any advise gratefully accepted.
btw, is it ok to look for an editor on FIVERR and to publish on BookBaby?

Regards.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alex, and from one newbie to another, welcome!

Regarding book length, you're correct that shorter is going to be much easier to sell. Sure, there are 150,000-word books out there, but how many of them are memoirs written by a debut author and published within the last five years? That's not to say it's absolutely impossible, but it will be a massive uphill battle. If you can trim it down while keeping the heart of the story, that will improve your chances.

Also, if editors who've seen the manuscript are telling you it will be more marketable (and/or a better book) if cut, they're probably right.

You mentioned looking for an editor. Have you had the book beta read yet? If not, I'd suggest starting with that. A good beta reader or two can really help you in figuring out what's essential and where you can cut. I'd also suggest checking out the SYW board; first, look at what other people are posting in your genre, and the critiques. See what seems to work and what doesn't. And, once you've got a good feel for that and the opening of your book is as polished as you can make it (and once you have 50 posts under your belt), post it and see what people say. If you're worried you're too verbose, you can mention that, and some readers will likely be able to give you tips on how to cut down.

The reason I'm recommending beta readers and critiques before editing is that they're free. Good, professional editing is expensive. As in, a few thousand dollars for a manuscript of your length, minimum. So I always recommend doing everything you can on it for free before you look at paid options. If you end up cutting the book by 40k words, well, that's 40k words you don't need to pay an editor to look at.

As to Fiverr . . . my experience with the site is a couple years old, so it's possible things have changed since then, but I would generally say no. Back when I did look them over, I was seeing very low prices and skill to match. As said, it's possible things have changed. But with editing, you do generally get what you pay for. There are some excellent freelance editors out there; you'll also encounter mediocre and even terrible ones. So with any editor, do your research and ask lots of questions before plunging in. Look at the books they've worked with and what their past clients are saying. A good editor is worth the money . . . but you do want to be sure you're getting a good one before you sign on the dotted line.

I don't have any experience with Bookbaby, but there's a thread here that might be helpful to you.

Last edited:

AlexDyle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for lots of good information. I will try and reduce the wordage myself. I will aim for, say, 100,000 and then try to find an editor. Many thanks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, Alex. I agree that length is an issue and that it's important to get that word count way down.

As someone who used to write fat but managed to tame the beast to some degree, I can recommend that posting the first thousand or 1500 words to Share Your Work, once you have the required 50 substantive posts, may be an eye opener, especially if you let us know your greatest concern is reducing the word count. Your entire book probably has the same flaws as the first little bit, so if people help you see what makes that opening wordy, then you can make the same fixes on the whole thing.

Yeah, it's a big job, but we'll talk you through it.

Maryn, who could have made this post shorter, probably

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn's advice is spot-on for reducing the length. If this is your first manuscript, probably best to get some critique before hiring an editor as it'll make that editor's work go a lot further.

Just re: editing and publication, there are a lot of things to learn, if publication is what you seek. (Note: publication = "to make public"; you want readers, basically.)

Generally, there are two broad paths to publishing a book you've written.

Trade publishing is the best way to reach the wider community, as trade publishing houses have distribution and sales forces that ensure your book is available in bookstores, libraries, and so on. Reaching these houses often requires querying literary agents, and generally the whole process doesn't start until you have a finished, polished manuscript--something which critiquers and beta-readers can help with. Hiring an editor yourself, though, is generally unnecessary for this route; as long as you're writing is of a professional standard, the publisher then supplies the editing.

Self-publishing involves becoming your own publisher, and can be a quicker way to get a book to hand out at events or to family and friends. While self-published books can sell beyond that range, it requires a lot more work for the author. You will need to pay a real, proper editor--legitimate ones do not work on Fiverr--as well as a cover designer and possibly a couple other roles, depending.

Note that a large number of companies, including BookBaby, exist to sell services to self-publishers, often charging exorbitant fees for things the author could do themselves with the aid of a simple web tutorial, and often delivering these services badly. At the apex of this heap of companies are vanity publishers, whose business is parting wannabe authors (never in short supply) from their money (often in short supply) with the promise of a shiny book with their name on the cover that no-one will read.

Your best bet, as others have said, is to stick around, read some of the many, many stickied threads around this forum, and hone your craft. Then you'll be in a better and much more informed position to make a decision as to how to move forward.

AlexDyle

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you are all very helpful. It's easy to become overawed by the process. I think I began the book as a hobby, or past-time. I've read others of the same vague genre and I just know I can do better than that. I have run many chapters through friends, but I suspect they concentrate on learning more about someone they know, rather than the artistic reflection of the book itself. I didn't know Beta readers existed, but now I do, and it was straightforward to find some. Like anything else, which ones are acceptable and which ones will I be wasting my money? I will probably just choose one to run my first chapter (which in some ways is the most boring) by. They are not too expensive.
I don't think I'll be able to write 50 posts on here - it will just take too long, but I appreciate your advise on that.
I will self-publish, almost certainly. I have found a couple of publishers in this field and I will probably run it by them, but I don't mind self-publishing. You're correct, the number one reason to do this is to hold that book in my hand and sense the achievement; for it is indeed a considerable amount of work. Second, yes, I want others to read it, but their chance will probably be thru Amazon, sorry to say. I enjoy the work of tweaking the book to make it better and better, but eventually it HAS to be published. Then I can write another one - I already have a caper story based in 1962 in my mind (a novel)
Again, thank you for all your suggestions.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't spend money on beta readers. Beta readers don't cost anything. Different types of editors-yes, but beta readers -no. There's a whole sub-Forum here devoted to beta readers.

I understand the enthusiasm but if you want folk to read the second book you write don't rush to self-publish anything that is less than the best it can possibly be.

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing in publishing--of any kind--happens quickly.

In fact, getting 50 posts here takes no time at all, really. One of the fastest ways is to critique others' work, which helps you see your own from a greater distance and helps people around the community get to know you. I'll frequently beta-read for people I've seen around the critique forums, but only if I know them and their work/outlook/process--a good beta-reader needs to be a fit. There's no use in having someone who only likes cozy mysteries reading your gory grimdark.

If building a writing career is what you want: PATIENCE. You're in the right place. Navigate through the sub-forums. Read all the sticky threads, which represent nearly 20 years of gathered resources on everything from idea creation and plotting to querying to book promotion.

Throwing a book up on Amazon will not make a writing career, no matter how much money you pay readers, editors, reviewers, and so on. To reach a wider audience really takes trade publishing, or the expertise to self-publish really well. Both of those take time.

AlexDyle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much again. I think the second book is far off, but it's already good to think about it. I've been writing the first book for a long time, with a great deal of research. I love doing all that, but I sometimes get the feeling it will never end. Right now I'm scratching thru chapter one again, deleting and reconstructing where I can. I am verbose, for sure, but I've gone from 10,000 words down to about 5,000 and now I feel deleting too much more will invalidate its original meaning. I never really liked chapter one, I must admit. My intention right now is to pare down ch's 1, 2 & 3 and then get some feedback from a Beta reader. Thank you for letting me know there's a forum here - I really should have looked, but like I said, I didn't even know they existed until a few days ago :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who had to struggle for years to learn to cut, please believe me when I tell you that this is something you can't learn on your own. And the best place to learn is by critiquing someone else's work. like in the Share Your Work subforums. You don't have to wait for fifty posts to start critiquing.

With our own stuff, we all tend to make excuses. They're our words and we're somewhat in love with a lot of them. We don't want to cut.

Until you read something similar in someone else's piece and then you go, "Well, shoot...I guess that won't work in my story, either."

I watch people try to short-circuit this process over and over in goodreads reading rounds. They don't get an editor, and they don't want to be picked apart on a writer's forum, so they just put it up on Amazon.

And then the reviews come in, and it's not pretty.

Please consider doing the painful bit up front, where it's just us, and nothing lasts forever (unlike reviews). We have moderators here, and we might be blunt sometimes, but not cruel. It really is the kindest way to learn to be a better writer.

I'm so grateful for all the time that more experienced people spent with me. I got on here and I was so sure I just needed a little help before I jumped in. Wrong. I needed a lot more than I thought.

I had books that had to be cut from 180k down to below 120. It can be done, and your book will likely be much stronger when you're finished.

Just in case it's not ready--take a deep breath and learn to polish your piece. If you've got some sort of internal family deadline looming, you can always go to Staples or somewhere similar to get a hard copy printed for now. You've spent years on this thing. Consider taking the time to polish it up properly. :)

ETA: Concerning Fiverr--I have seen some decent covers come out of there. Not top notch, but definitely better than homemade jobs. But editing is different. Finding an editor you trust is a process. Anyone can look at a cover and do a quick assessment. But evaluating an editor when you don't already have the skills is a recipe for disaster.

ETA2: If your first chapter bores even you, then it needs work until it's riveting. Seriously. Without a good first chapter, no one will read the second. People don't wade through 5-10k hoping it'll get better. They just move on to the next book.

Last edited: