Greetings from Canada

Silver Lining

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After a very long hiatus (23 years), I have recently ventured back into writing. It feels good to dust off the pencils and paper again... well, I suppose it's dusting off the keyboard now lol. After finishing school I dabbled in writing & drawing to serve as my creative outlet but I allowed myself to get pulled away from it with the likes of finding my wife, having kids, career, etc.

A few months back my wife and I were chatting about the need to 'feed our souls' so after several hours we came to a conclusion; I decided to start writing again and she chose to take up painting! I am loving it.

I ended up scouring the internet in search of anything on writing and I was to able to find endless websites that catered to my literary cravings. In the process I stumbled upon this website. I have been lurking around for a bit now gathering my bearings and reading through pages of material. Some great stuff in here!

I have started a short story and have the framework in place for a novel, both in the fantasy realm. I have always been attracted to the fantasy side of things with the books I read, movies or the games I play so I thought that would be the best place to dive in.

Anyways, I figured it was time to poke my head in here and introduce myself so, hello!

See you on the page.

Derek

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Derek, squint more or less directly south. See that person waving from the other side of Lake Ontario? That's me! (Man, your eyes are good.)

Welcome to you. You're in good company among our many fantasy writers.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck to you and your wife on your renewed endeavors, Derek!

Welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derek, and welcome!

It's fabulous to hear that you've gotten back into writing after the hiatus. Hope you find plenty of support, resources, and opportunities for feedback here! I'm a fan of fantasy myself, so I'll look forward to seeing some of your work in the SYW forum . . . when the time comes that you're ready for outside eyes, of course.

Silver Lining

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derek,

Welcome back to the creative world!

Noel

Thank you for the warm welcome Noel!

Hey, Derek, squint more or less directly south. See that person waving from the other side of Lake Ontario? That's me! (Man, your eyes are good.)

Welcome to you. You're in good company among our many fantasy writers.

Hi Maryn,

I was born in Toronto and if I was still there I might see your wave from a southward gaze but I am more west of there now so I will have to wave back at you over two lakes - Lake Erie and lake Ontario.

*waves*

Thanks for the welcome!

Best of luck to you and your wife on your renewed endeavors, Derek!

Welcome to AW!

Thank you for dropping in!

:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Thank you for all of this info, it is appreciated!

One can only step away from the people pen for so long before the beckoning becomes too much to ignore!

Welcome to the crew!

I agree and I am so thankful that I listened to my inner voice and jumped into the fold!

Hi Derek, and welcome!

It's fabulous to hear that you've gotten back into writing after the hiatus. Hope you find plenty of support, resources, and opportunities for feedback here! I'm a fan of fantasy myself, so I'll look forward to seeing some of your work in the SYW forum . . . when the time comes that you're ready for outside eyes, of course.

There is a lot of information in here and everyone seems so helpful. As far as utilizing the SYW section, I am looking forward to that when the time comes. My current WIP is a short story and I'm just over 1100 words at the moment. I am enjoying the journey right now and in no rush but when the time is right, I will take the plunge and throw myself out there for external viewing lol.

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations and welcome to AW, welcome back to the writing game, best of luck

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derek,

Good to see you're back into writing. Hope all the best to you and I look forward to seeing some of your work on here.