Can't figure out/decide who the killer is

mamakat97

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Yes this is my first post. I've been lurking for a little over a year.

I write cozy mysteries, not yet published. In my current WIP I have the amateur sleuth, her family, and her best friend/sidekick. I have the victim. There are four suspects who all had motive. I even know where his body was found because that's an important part of why my MC gets involved. What I can't figure out is which one of the four did it and how they killed him.

If you'd had this kind of block before how did you get past it? I thought about just trying to let it come to me as I write but 1. I'm a planner and that would make me crazy. :) and 2. I need to know so I can plant clues and red herrings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome!

I started out as a pantser but switched to outlining for mysteries for the same reason: to plant clues. Since you're stuck, what about taking a few days and starting 4 separate sub-outlines or bullet point sheets for each suspect? When I brainstorm like that the characters almost always reveal the important points I need.

If that method doesn't speak to you, this is how I got past total plot panic for my last book: I grabbed every 3x3 post-it notepad in the house and a stack of printer paper. Then I write a few words or a sentence on each post-it, numbered them as I wrote, and pasted them
in columns on the printer paper. It's a completely different method than my usual outlining, and switching it up did the trick. (This method is the only useful technique I learned from Scrivener.)

Good luck!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
What I can't figure out is which one of the four did it...

The third one. Because the first one is a gimme, the second is a maybe, and the fourth is used as a cover up for the third.

... and how they killed him.

Using whatever method the fourth one would use. Ex: If number four is a car mechanic then it's with the torque wrench.

-cb

mamakat97

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both of you, for the replies. Sometimes it takes someone else to show me the obvious.

It's a completely different method than my usual outlining, and switching it up did the trick. (This method is the only useful technique I learned from Scrivener.)

Good luck!

I bought Scrivener last year but I still don't get it or use it regularly. Every time I think I'll give it another try, I end up going back to OneNote.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have that problem years ago but I outline now. I plot my entire book from beginning to end including twists, red herrings, suspects and the killer. Plotting is a lifesaver. It's crucial to know where you are going in a mystery beforehand. If you haven't, try plotting.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

One possibility would be to try writing four murder scenes, one with each of the four suspects, just for fun (obviously none of them will show up in the finished book). See what grabs you. You might discover a motive or method you find really compelling.

I often find that when I get stuck, the best way out for me is to get a running start at things by writing material that happens "off screen." That way, there's no pressure for it to be good or even canon; I can just play around and scrap anything I don't like. Nine times out of ten, I'll discover something interesting that can help me when I get back to the actual book.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Who among your suspects would you least likely suspect? That's your killer. Now give that character a well-hidden motive; that's what your sleuth must uncover. Pepper the plot with relevant clues that can always be misunderstood or misinterpreted (and often are, leading to red herrings). In short, have fun with it.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
You know the four have motive and where the body is found. Did all four have the opportunity or the means to carry out the deed?

Titus

Registered
Reaction score
The corpse tells a lot about the killer. If all else fails, visualize the corpse in your mind's eye. Are their wounds? Puncture holes? Go all CSI on that. A killer who poisons victims is different than a gun toting assassin.

You could also imagine how each one would kill and use that to drive the plot.

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I always start a book by knowing who was killed, who did it, and why.

Always, except my newest. I was two-thirds into it before I knew who the killer was, or why. It was a little stressful, but it was also fun, because it made me scrutinize my characters more, and forced me to give each one a good reason to kill the victim.

(I did a talk with Ian Rankin last year, and he said he once finished a novel and still didn't know who the killer was! Not sure how that works, exactly, but it did encourage me to keep going when I didn't know who'd done it.)

For what it's worth, those who've read the book say it's the best in the series....

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Mamakat97, your murderer should not be one of the four suspects. Your sleuth and sidekick (and the readers) have been pursuing red herrings. It's actually the butler.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking for options, one of the things I do before starting to write my mystery MIP is that I write the actual murder from the POV of the victim. I get a little into their personality, their situation, and a lot of the little details that should come up (or not) during the victimology phase of the investigation. It also solidifies in my mind who the murderer is. Then i keep it handy so when I'm writing the crime scene investigation, autopsy, or whatever, I have the fast reference. It's helped a lot as I've needed details as I write.

I've played with putting it in as a prologue, but haven't made a firm decision on that. (No, the victim can't ID their killer, so there's no spoilers there.)

Just another possibility that might shake something looks for you.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Notorious Pantser here:

I agree about maybe writing four endings, but seriously, if you are writing in the third (or fourth) act and have no killer yet, step away from the book. Write shorts about each of the suspects. Go to the location if it's real or a substitute if you can. If not, draw maps and diagrams of the crime.

In my experience, the characters usually tell you who did it.

All my best,
Lucie

Nitaa

Registered
Reaction score
My suggestion is that you get to know your characters. Do detailed character sketches, ask your characters all sorts of questions even irrelevant ones. Once all your characters are distinct in your mind, with different mannerisms, talking and walking styles & different motivations and backgrounds, then it is easier to know who the killer is.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Yes this is my first post. I've been lurking for a little over a year.

I write cozy mysteries, not yet published. In my current WIP I have the amateur sleuth, her family, and her best friend/sidekick. I have the victim. There are four suspects who all had motive. I even know where his body was found because that's an important part of why my MC gets involved. What I can't figure out is which one of the four did it and how they killed him.

If you'd had this kind of block before how did you get past it? I thought about just trying to let it come to me as I write but 1. I'm a planner and that would make me crazy. :) and 2. I need to know so I can plant clues and red herrings.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Start with the ending and work backwards. Maybe that will help on narrowing things down.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Start with the ending and work backwards. Maybe that will help on narrowing things down.

I was about to suggest this. With a mystery, I like to do backward planning (if the murder happened at 0800 on Tuesday, then the victim had to be lured here by 0745, which means the killer had to send the message that lured them by 7pm the night before, which means the murder weapon had to be procured by X and the murderer had to have time to clean up the scene (so he/she was there from at least 0800-0807, which is an opportunity for the person blackmailing the murderer to see them before their untimely death three chapters from the end of the book just before they were to talk to the detective), and so forth. Having a rough timeline helps you keep things reasonable (no, you can't get from Flushing to Downtown Manhattan in five minutes . . . I don't care who's driving). Also, backward planning helps ensure you leave the clues and the red herrings by ensuring the murderer did X and Y but not Z (that was the butler accidentally spilling red wine on the rug . . . not blood), etc. etc. etc.