Tax Q - equipment purchased for a home based business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masel

Registered
Reaction score
A year and a half ago my husband started a job as an independent contractor. He worked from home and purchased a laptop, screens, and a nice printer and set up an office in our spare bedroom. In February this year he decided that wasn't the job for him and now works in an office. I would like to use this poor abandoned equipment but since he purchased it though his business account and claimed it all as a business expense he thinks that it would mess up our taxes if I did. I'll bring my laptop in here and use the comfy chair for my writing but it would be nice to use some of the other stuff. He has no plans to go back to the independent contractor job but it is good back up if he ever gets laid off again.

Could I write an invoice and rent this equipment from his business account?
It won't matter after January 1, 2019 right?

We live in the US, in Missouri.
I fully realize that with free tax advice on the internet I get what I pay for.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? Don't hesitate--seek qualified advice from a licensed CPA who prepares tax returns for a living, and/or a tax attorney who is a member of the Missouri bar.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I honestly dont think it will mean much. Just have records that show when the business started and ended on hand.

For the record. Im a self employed business owner. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Closed thread stays closed. As ironmikezero said, you need a qualified tax professional's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.