• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Half-Finished Shorts (and novels)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

So I guess this is an odd form of writer's block. I'm getting geared up for NANO. This year I'm rebelling and doing short stories (with the idea of submitting them) and I'm looking at my short stories folder. And I have a *lot* of stories that I start but never finish. I mean a very lot (not to mention the unfinished novels).

So I'm trying to figure out what the deal is. I think it's a plotting thing. My writing is too "soft" - doesn't have strong enough "wants" to carry me all the way through (I think). But maybe it's something else. Sometimes I'll even have an idea of how it should end, but I seem to bore myself in the middle or something.

Anyone have any advice on how to learn to finish or how to figure out what stops me part-way through things? Things to read to help with this kind of thing?

I have googled looking for advice, but the generic advice (stay away from the internet, figure out the end, etc.) doesn't seem to apply here.

Thanks so much!
~Laura

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Have you tried even shorter works? Flash fiction or the like. You're forced to tell a whole story in under 1000 words and possibly one sitting. It's pretty good practice and you can get a better feel for your own pace and figure out where you get hung up faster.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
In that case you need a plan, and finish them, no matter how badly or ridiculously plotted it seems. It sounds like you are trying to write "by the seat of your pants" which some people can do well, but some folks cannot get past: what happens next.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I'm experiencing something similar, but just with novels. I don't know if it's the critical voice being an ass or if the idea just isn't exciting me enough. Sorry, I don't have any wise advice – just wanted to say you're not alone!

:Hug2:

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and compassion :) Yeah, maybe I do need to plot out more, somehow. I need to find some short plot outlines that work. Otherwise I get bogged down in plotting and note-taking and never get to writing.

And yes, working on finishing even if I hate the story.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Plotting out in advance helps, but sometimes it's a matter of association--for me, I had to force myself to finish short stories/my novel because I have a habit of dropping things (it's part of the reason children don't like me). Looking back, I'm glad I pushed through. Knowing that you've finished something is a big reward in itself. After awhile, it becomes a habit.

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I really think you're right. I finished one story for the start of Nano and just finished it taught me a lot. I think I just need to make myself finish everything I start.

sempersomnium

Nanofied Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sempersomnium.blogspot.com
Oh, flash fiction is a great idea! Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I always say I'm going to do this or that, and my writing binder is overflowing, but I don't have the works to show for it. Guess just keep practicing.

I really hope that you overcome this block and are able to finish several works for NANOWRIMO. Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.