Short Stories That Get Published

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading more short stories to better understand the medium but also to see what is getting published since that seems to be uniformly agreed upon as a very productive exercise. I've been finding that I have no interest in the things generally getting published. To my eyes many of them are very clever and unreadable. The authors innovate in some way, present a problem that I don't care about and solve it (at least when I finish the story).

I'm inclined to believe that these stories are objectively better than my stories of which there are few and I am so far unpublished (but working on it). I think maybe I'm more interested in more traditional story arcs, I'm not sure. I have read some recently published stories that I thought were great but they are definitely less than half.

I feel that I should write the best story I have in me to write, write in a way that is an honest expression, and not tailor it ahead of time to what I think will sell. I also wonder if that will lead me to writing stories that will never be published at a pro or even semi-pro level.

Does anyone else run in to this?

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I at one point thought almost the exact same thing as you, with some caveats.

I've been reading more short stories to better understand the medium but also to see what is getting published since that seems to be uniformly agreed upon as a very productive exercise.

I once did the same thing, in my 20s. There is an implicit truth to this statement, however, that you may or may not agree upon. If you began reading short stories to better understand the medium, the implication is that you did not read short stories before, you’re only doing so now for non-pleasure reasons, and so there’s no reason to believe that you actually enjoy reading the short story medium.

I, personally, didn’t, and I’m not alone in that. Short stories aren’t usually big sellers. It’s not how writers expect to make a lot of money. Even the top markets pay a couple hundred to several hundred dollars. And even writers who publish in the top markets may get only several sales a year, which boils down to one to two thousand dollars perhaps. If that.

Most people are not writing short stories, and those that do don’t tend to regularly read them.

I've been finding that I have no interest in the things generally getting published.

I’m willing to bet that the number of short stories you enjoy a year is on par with the number of novels you enjoy a year. Not enjoying most short stories you read is like not enjoying the beginnings of novels you start and don’t continue.

Publishers have often expressed bewilderment as to why it is that short stories aren’t more popular. They’re nice quick reads, and they’d think people would enjoy that more than novels. But of course, it’s just the opposite. People like developed worlds, they like to stick to the same characters. One of the reasons popular television shows last so long is because audiences become attached to the characters. They want to see what they’ll do next.

Short stories don’t allow this. It’s more of a brief meeting of a couple of characters, briefly learning their problems, and briefly seeing the conclusion. In general, people find the short story medium in this day and age unsatisfying.

The authors innovate in some way, present a problem that I don't care about and solve it (at least when I finish the story).

I discovered something kind of interesting in the last year, though I had kind of been aware of this in the past without really articulating it the way I do now.

Short stories are most fun when they are discussed with others. Something is added to the enjoyment of a short story when its different narrative pieces are talked about in a group. In undergraduate and graduate school, we talked about short stories often, and it was usually a fun experience. Sharing the story in conversation builds upon the brevity of the form. The short story medium really comes alive during times of discourse.

In my last job I taught short stories, and it was great fun. I met a student last week and we read some stories that were only one and two sentences long, and it was the discussion of these stories that made the stories. Otherwise, I’d just quickly read them and move on without really thinking about what I’d read.

When I think about the times that short fiction was most widely enjoyed, it was also the time that people talked about fiction the way they would an episode on television. You know, before television.

Short stories, I think, are meant to be discussed in a group.

I also wonder if that will lead me to writing stories that will never be published at a pro or even semi-pro level.

This is repeated often enough that I understand it simply is the mindset of people. It is what it is.

However, I think it’s better to start small and work your way. Publish in token and pay markets and make the most of it. Build your name, develop an audience, make connections in the publishing world. Continue to grow in talent and skill and eventually you’ll get your pro-sale.

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
The short stories I read before were almost all collections by known authors--Vonnegut, William Gibson, Joe Abercrombie. It's a much different experience in reading a new author, style, characters, purpose, etc. in each story. I find that it's a little exhausting to go through more than a few in a day. It reminds me of something I heard about food purchases: a consumer is many more times likely to try a new flavor a familiar product than try an altogether new product. This explains why there are so many new flavors of Doritos instead of new brands of equally detestable chips being sold.

I definitely quit reading more short stories than novels, but the selection process for reading is completely different. For novels I check what (sub)genre it is, ratings/reviews, and a synopsis. For short stories I skim through story names and pick one.

That's interesting about the discussion component, I have not heard that idea before.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
The short stories I read before were almost all collections by known authors--Vonnegut, William Gibson, Joe Abercrombie.

Funny, Sharp Ends is actually my favorite Abercrombie book. But maybe that's because I already knew the world, and the even though I'd never read about the characters before, I felt like I should know them. Which I guess is weird.

My sad experience has been that writing short stories helps me learn how to write well, but it doesn't teach me how to craft good stories. I can become more technically proficient, but don't really have the innate spark that gives me great story ideas, which you need with so little space to work in. When I try to ape stories in places I want to get published it usually just ends up a flop.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would not even think about writing short stories to make money. The good thing about shorts, from a writers point of view, is you can write them fast. One every day, from beginning to end. That's hundreds every year. Your writing will improve and it is likely the at least one will be publishable.

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
Making money is definitely not my aim with short stories, but the magazines that I would be the most proud of getting published in pay. Writing short stories is to further my goals of achieving a tangible goal, to get the writing reps in like you described, and to be taken seriously if I decide to pull my sleeves up and put my effort into completing a novel and getting it published.

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
Out of the people I know who read a lot, only a small portion of them read short stories regularly. I happen to love them. I enjoy novels too, but it's a different sort of enjoyment. The short form really brings out the structure and the language.

I agree with the observation that short stories really come alive when discussed. Because of the brevity it is a lot easier to examine all of the aspects of the writing and sometimes in discussion or in writing about them you discover things that would be easy to miss when reading them like a novel.

You should definitely write as you want/need to though. I don't believe that tailoring what you write to a market is the best way to write. However, taking those stories apart and finding out how they're structured is still a worthwhile effort and would probably help your writing in the long run.

stevebargdill

Registered
Reaction score
I've been finding that I have no interest in the things generally getting published.

Maybe you're not reading the "right" short stories? What stories have you already read? And, what kind of stories do you think you would be interested in?

Addendum: TBH, many New Yorker stories confound me. Have you read anything by Gabriel García Márquez? Haruki Murakami? I'm not sure you'd enjoy either (Murakami's Second Bakery Attack is hilariously weird), but I fell in love with those writers. It's hard to find good stuff I think because I think publishers are trying to still figure out what's worthwhile.

Last edited:

jsmiles

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of SS, too. Most of the publications are for, by and about MFAs. Nothing folksy. I wonder of Mark Twain, Ring Lardner or O"Henry would get accepted today.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Mark Twain would have gotten started with a travel blog and progressed to a multi-book fiction deal.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Every writing program I’ve ever engaged with teaches fiction writing through the short story form. There are practical reasons for that, as you can get through a variety of short stories in limited time frames, which is impossible for novels. But short stories also better teach you how to craft tight prose that doesn’t waste words.

I will say, however, that short stories seem more appreciated by literary writers than genre writers. I know that there is an increased effort to merge these terms, but the truth of the matter is that there are plenty of classic literary short stories widely appreciated by readers. One can’t exactly say the same for genre fiction, though there are some very good genre short fiction.

Genre fiction, which requires a different set of narrative tools, may not lend itself as well to the short story form as literary fiction. Genre fiction is known for being epic in scale. Are we on the sixth or seventh book of Games of Thrones? You just don’t see this in literary fiction. Sequels, prequels, trilogies, etc.

A lot of the best genre short fiction I read often times feels unfinished. I can’t say the same for literary short stories. And that may be another reason why consumers aren’t overly interested in the short story market. If you like genre fiction, you crave something epic. If you like literary fiction, you’re satisfied with something smaller, but the lit market doesn’t sell nearly as well as the genre market.

Interestingly enough, what seems to be getting greater attention as saleable fiction is the novella. People seem to be interested in paying to read novella series, but again this applies to genre fiction. And the key word is ‘series’. Consumers still want to see developed worlds, characters, plots and subplots, etc.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
A lot of the best genre short fiction I read often times feels unfinished.

I think this is probably a matter of taste. I do read a lot of SFF shorts that seem like atmospheric vignettes, and those don't really work for me - but then, I also read a lot of shorts that pack a pretty good punch (Nagata's "Nahiku West" comes to mind), although when plot is involved they tend to be closer to 10K than 3K, which is a hard market to sell into (just because there are so few places that take pieces that long).

I don't think genre shorts need to be "epic in scale." I do think the short story is a different art form than the novel, and you need a fundamentally different sort of idea to make it work. My sense is that lit fic is more tolerant of the slice-of-life stuff than genre, but I could be wrong.

stevebargdill

Registered
Reaction score
T.C. Boyle's [URL="https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/07/are-we-not-men]Are We Not Men[/URL] seems like a complete world to me, and also one of the few pieces in the New Yorker that don't confound me.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Magazines have a "feel" to them. You're not going to like every magazine, and you're not going to find that every magazine likes you (most won't, from the perspective of submission.)

I'm pretty confident that there are some magazines I will never crack, not if I wrote for 100 years, because they like shorts of a style I have no interest in reading or writing.

I enjoy FFO, not EVERY story they publish, but as an overall thing. I enjoy Strange Horizons. I enjoy *some* of Clarkesworld but rarely Asimov's, and rarely Analog. Etc etc. I tend to like weird stories that fall between genres and have a literary edge, which there is only a surprisingly narrow market for. I would love to make it to Strange Horizons some day, but they're a very competitive market. Well, everything is competitive, I guess.

I'm incapable of writing short stories every day, but I do try to write to sell. In practice that means only writing a small handful every year. It works for me, or rather I can't work any other way I suppose.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So you read a certain kind of short story in a certain venue. I think rather than giving up on understanding the short story market you should look around for where stories like the one you write are being published. If I followed your path I would thin romance short stories aren't published at all, that being what I write and have published. And whne I did so I write knowing the length and style they wanted, and the aspects where I had free rein.

Last edited: