Next in Reboots: Flash Gordon

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this over on 'the Kinja', apparently the director of Overlord wants to remake Flash Gordon.

Hollywood has been trying to make a new Flash Gordon movie for years—and now, an up-and-coming director has just approached the plate.
Deadline reports that Julius Avery, director of the upcoming zombie movie Overlord, has been hired by Fox to write and direct a new Flash Gordon movie. The piece doesn’t call it a “remake” or a “reboot,” though, simply because the famous 1980 film is just one of dozens of different iterations of the popular, serialized character. Flash was born in a comic strip in the 1930s and from there became a comic book star, a serialized film star, television star, radio star, animated TV star, and a movie star.

Now, I know what you're saying: "How could they reboot it, when Dino de Laurentiis made what is objectively the most perfect movie in existence." And I'd be prone to agree with you. But I think this could be fun, there's a fair amount of versatility to the setting. It's a matter of getting the camp right, if it takes itself too seriously OR winks and nods at everything, it'll probably be bad. We'll see, and I actually thought John Carter of Mars was a good idea, so what do I know.

But if they do a new Flash, they should definitely bring back Brian Blessed.

Last edited: