Can anyone recommend some good publishers/agents that buy the translation rights to Chinese books?

andreafuyu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I represent Chinese Media&Universe, one of the biggest distributors in China. Now I’ve got a winter catalog which includes diverse non-fictions and fictions. The author bio and the synopsis are all in English. I can send over the sample chapters per the request.
How can I find the literary agents or publishers who buy the translation rights to Chinese books?
I also need some advice. Besides the Beijing Book Fair, what are other ways you can approach Chinese publishers/agents/authors? Do you know there is a national fund to support selling the translation rights? What are the typical issues while dealing with Chinese publishers/agents/authors?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I represent Chinese Media&Universe, one of the biggest distributors in China. Now I’ve got a winter catalog which includes diverse non-fictions and fictions. The author bio and the synopsis are all in English. I can send over the sample chapters per the request.
How can I find the literary agents or publishers who buy the translation rights to Chinese books?

I also need some advice. Besides the Beijing Book Fair, what are other ways you can approach Chinese publishers/agents/authors? Do you know there is a national fund to support selling the translation rights? What are the typical issues while dealing with Chinese publishers/agents/authors?

I am perplexed. How have you got the job of representing this distributor? You clearly don't understand how rights sales works (because you're asking for the names of literary agents who buy translation rights, and that's not what agents do); you clearly don't have the contacts required to do the job (ditto); you don't know how to contact publishers; you don't even know how these sales are usually made.

I'm sorry to be so harsh. But you don't seem to know anything about the job you've apparently got, and I don't know where to start helping you.

If you could give us some more information, and ask more specific questions, we might be able to help.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
If you are Chinese, get in touch with the FAA (Future Affairs Administration) group who do a lot of Chinese-English rights and translation for Science Fiction books. Although it might not be your genre, they might know about how to contact authors and agents in relation to publishing between two languages.