November Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
I managed 1.6k today, which was crucial for salvaging the <0 word sum I came away with Monday (edits). Tomorrow, I need to hit 1.3k to stay on target rolling into next week, since Thursday and Friday are off for holidays.

Oh, and I need to also read two chapters, take a test, and do a full project.

Ugh, hopefully I can get it all done tomorrow. As soon as I was done writing today, I knew I was tapped out. Gotta stay strong, though. I've got myself a long weekend ahead.

Last edited:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 20

New Words - 1078

Revisions - 4 chapters and two scenes

Research - The cost of a kilo of cocaine, guns, and loudspeaker brands in 1985. 18th century cosmetics.

April - Congrats on the brainstorming. I love doing that and the research almost as much as writing. Lol.

WGough - Amazing word count!

Layla - Congrats on the half page!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
SecondMoon: Woohoo for finishing that story!

starrystorm: Argh! Glad you’re feeling better now :)

Pterofan: Well, there is that. Mine’s been banned from all leagues, domestic, international and preternatural.

ap123: Hang in there. 240 words is still something.

Layla: Another solid day of getting shit done :)

WGough: You’re beastin’ those revisions! Are these drafted chapters ones you discovered you needed after finishing the first draft?

xenylic: *sends fairy dust to help you through the week*

Cindyt: Yeah, me too. Sometimes I prefer it, because I can imagine the story to be as awesome as I want. It’s only when my grubby fingers come along to type that it all goes pear-shaped. I shudder to think what folk in the 18th century were slathering on their faces…

I managed about 1200 words yesterday on Chapter One. It felt nice to be back at my desk and actually typing… (Though I had a caffeinated coffee out of desperation and paid the price.) I think I’ll keep hobbling ahead for a wee bit, then get back to brainstorming. Right now, I’m following my gut instead of a set plan. We’ll see how that works out.

Day 20: Decent bit; 7 miles; The Special One!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 20: 50 words. :e2paperba I'm not even going to comment on that.

xenlyic: Good luck.

Cindyt: Good job.

April: I'm doing the same thing with my new book. I don't have much planned out and am just moving forward.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 20 - 410 words

Sure, I could write over the weekend ... but I think it's going be stuff myself silly on turkey, read a lot, find a good movie to watch and squeeze some writing in if I feel like it. Right now revising the story I finished last month is battling its way to the top of the to-do list.

No way am I leaving the house on Black Friday. I can write then.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21 (wut?)
So had some slack time there but I'm back at it. Worked on the competition story today. I want to have a solid first draft by the end of the month at the latest, and that's while also working on another revision.

I have a new trick! Or rather, it's an old trick in a new dress. One way I've imprinted a lot of habits is by tieing things together. I learned to meditate daily by banning myself from coffee until I had meditated for at least 5 minutes, for example.

Here's the latest thing: Only writers get chocolate. (I've cut out nearly all sugar but I have a few pieces of dark chocolate every day. Yes, it's an addiction. I'm okay with it.)

Working very well so far. It's funny how easy it is to trick ourselves.

Keep at it everyone! <3

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
Hard fought writing today. 1.4k when all is said and done. Plus I read three dense textbook chapters for my test today.

It went as well as I could hope really, but I'm just too tired to work on my brochure project, which means I'll have to return early during the weekend.

Still, 2/3 ain't bad. And I survived another week of college. Three more and I'm done for the semester :D

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21
Re-revised a scene, 2512 words. Revised a scene, 1443 words. May tackle another if my eyes refocus.

xenylic: Awesome work. Enjoy your break.

Cindyt: Arghh, you are a revising machine! Tell me they're short chapters. Or a polish edit. This thing is taking me forever. Apologies for the writer's envy. Good for you!

April: 1.2K words is incredible. Congrats! I feel your caffeinated pain. Re: my revisions, yes. Probably a huge mistake, but after reading through my first draft, I wasn't comfortable with the single MC POV. I'd experimented with both POVs in a previous draft of Book I, got rid of the second POV, and now I'm adding it back in. Heh, heh, funny thing about discovery drafting... The other three books are from both POVs. Clear as Spackle.

starrystorm: I am! Way to keep at it!

Pterofan: I'm with you. A sound plan, indeed. Great word count, btw.

Magnus: I fully support this reward system of yours.

Gobble, gobble.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Moon :D

Whew, Gough - you are really keeping at it - congrats!

Congrats on that 1.6 Xen :)

Cindy, you're a powerhouse

April, looks like those index cards paid off

(ps - I shudder to think about 1950s radioactive makeup…)

starry - I think the days we keep at it in the face of 50 words are the real winning days. Congrats on that victory over the blank page.

Nice work Pt!

Magnus, keep on keeping on!

Whew, Gough - two scenes, all those words.

Hey Moon - Hopefully they thought about you, too. Take it easy :)

Day 21

WIP - I'm taking a skip day
R/SC - earning service; I have a cold :( so I'm just curling up on the couch with lots of tea - and cotton wool stuffed up my nose. (kleenex just hurts too much now…)
$$ - indy project study

Very early to bed -

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 21

New Words - 1227

April - WTG on 1200 words

Starry - 50 words is better than 0

Layla - We celebrated Thanksgiving today, so I didn’t push it too hard.

A beloved scene became redundant, and I forced myself to transfer it to my deleted folder.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
starrystorm: It’s better than nothing! Every time I try and stick to a plan, it seems to fall apart…

Pterofan: Enjoy your weekend :) Those words will pop out if they want to.

Magnus: I know! Seriously, where did the month go? Smart thinking with the chocolate. Yesterday I scoffed a whole bar. (I had not written the words to deserve it.) Good luck with the story.

xenylic: Well done for pushing through and hitting that target. Enjoy the weekend!

WGough: The fun is in the discovery, right?! If the other books came out in both POVs then you’re probably right to add it to the first book too. You are also a revising machine!

SecondMoon: Some days are thinking days.

Layla: Booo! Take good care and feel better soon. Colds are evil.

Cindyt: WTG on 1200 words!

I sketched a couple hundred words for Chap 1, then tried to figure out the next couple of scenes. I flipped through my index cards but I have to say, they weren’t any help! Oh well. Maybe today will be better.

Day 21: Wee bit; 6.5 miles; late-night Jean-luc

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 21: 143 words. I'm slowly getting back on track.

Magnus: This month went by so fast.

xenylic: I'm impressed by how much you can do in one day.

WGough: That's a lot of words.

Moon: It's the thought that counts.

Layla: Thanks. I feel better now.

CindyT: You said you didn't push it that hard, but over a thousand is hard work. Congrats.

April: Yeah...Index cards aren't really my thing either.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
At grandmas for the holiday. Hand wrote five pages, a super short story about a man who has the devil as his literary agent. Made myself laugh. I love subverting that old trope.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 22
The chocolate trick is working. I think I'm also slowly getting results from working with positive thinking over a long time. When I think about my writing and my stories, I tend to get this sinking, pre-anxiety type feeling in my chest. I don't know why, I love writing, even when it's difficult (perhaps especially then), but that weird negative association has kept me away from writing so many times. So I've worked on facing it and telling it no (or I tell it something else but it's better I don't type that out here ;)). It takes a long time to recondition such reflexive feelings, but this morning when I woke up, I thought about continuing work on my story, and it felt nice instead of angsty. I nearly laughed from joy because I honestly don't think that's ever happened before. Every little step, right?

Layla -- Get better!

Everyone -- stay positive!

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 22
Revised two scenes. Turkey.

The Second Moon: Thinking counts in my book.

Layla: Ouchy nose! Take care of yourself.

Cindyt: Poor scene. Congrats on cutting the cord.

April: Nice sketching. Hope today was better.

starrystorm: Nice work. Way to find that track!

Taylor: Awesome job making yourself laugh. Love that.

Magnus: Great advice. I tell my Negative Nelly "Stop that." Thanks for the positive vibes.

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Idk when I last posted in here. My days slipped away. I've still been writing, but I am still sick (my flu morphed in a cold which makes my crappy lungs and heart hurt). But I am currently at 43,840 words for the month, and that puts me... about four days ahead for NaNo. I had a lovely thanksgiving and I hope all you who celebrate it did as well <3 (also it's my puppies 2nd birthday today) ((the one in my profile picture I have two but the other one turns 4 in January))

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 22

Draft - 1389

Copyedit - 2 chapters, 3 scenes, Author’s Note.

Research - profit earned from a 3000-acre pot crop in 1985. nick for a Ferrari Testarossa. No luck. Decided to call it a Testa.

April - I went from pants to outline of a sort on the crime novel, but everything but the main plot changed. Boing! I hadn’t even looked at the outline during the writing anyway. Sheesh.

Starry - Ah, but I usually do heavy research and revisions.

Wgough - I spend long, tedious hours editing my work.

I need the pictures of my trawler yacht and can’t find them. I’ll have to buy the book again. Worth it.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Sorry folks, drive-by for me, feeling ropey. Anyway, I dragged my bum to three pages yesterday and though it took me all day, I GOT THERE. I feel today will be equally long, and equally chocolate-filled.

Day 22: Decent bit; 2.5 miles; cosy-up

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 22: 332. Honestly, I thought I would get more done considering its a new story, but I guess not... I spent most of the day planning out the series I would write after this one. My thinking is that it would be better to fall in love with those characters now than to have to love them while writing their story.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 21 - 210
Day 22 - 146

It was too cold to leave the house on Thanksgiving, so I stayed in, ate turkey and watched Jurassic World 2. Dinosaurs eating stupid evil people. Just the way to celebrate the holiday.

I got the cover art for the book! It looks just like a comic book cover, which works perfectly for the story. And my heroes have faces this time! I've had so many naked torso covers I'd forgotten men had heads. On their necks, I mean.

Kay - Happy Birthday to your pup! :partyguy:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23
Good day, got further on my current main story and did some writing on another piece as well.

Keep thinking positive thoughts!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 22: Holiday, so nothing.
DAY 23: 368 words plus a 1,200 word essay that I spent six hours on. :Headbang:

Magnus: Good job. Two stories in one day.
Moon: I can't remember the last time I hit 1K on fiction.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Drive by for me - 1 page over the last two days. LOTS of tidying and too much pie (my belly hurts now & I'm just going to bed...)

Status
Not open for further replies.