Any feedback on NetGalley?

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
Just looking for places to promote my title and came across this. It's a bit pricey, but claims to be able to get the right eyes on books, which results in reviews in the right places, which should result in sales. I don't mind spending money if it brings in sales, but at this price, it's something I'd like to get some feedback from those who have tried it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a fair number of pre-existing threads on the topic of NetGalley and other pay-to-play review/promo sites at AW (here's one from last year that covers NetGalley).

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a central NetGalley thread in our Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks subforum. Maybe it's time we had one.

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
There are a fair number of pre-existing threads on the topic of NetGalley and other pay-to-play review/promo sites at AW (here's one from last year that covers NetGalley).

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a central NetGalley thread in our Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks subforum. Maybe it's time we had one.

Sorry, I should have searched before I posted. My bad!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, FWIW, reviews don't usually result in sales. Reviews are usually the result of sales (or giveaways, in my case). We all guess at Amazon algorithms, but most people poo-poo the "fifty reviews required for Amazon algos to kick in" idea as a myth.

Getting proactive with customer reviews is usually done for a couple of reasons. Some newsletter promotions require them, and some readers are more likely to check out your book if you've got them. I usually fill this need with goodreads reading rounds and Hidden Gems.

The general impression I've had of NetGalley is that they strongly skew toward trade-pubbed books, so they're not worth it for SPers. Also, I've read that their reviews are editorial, not customer. I'd verify both of these impressions independently, however, before making any decisions based on them.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree with the comment that NG reviewers flock to the popular trade-published books and mostly the self-pubbed books don't get as many hits.

There are currently GR reading rounds forming, as Cathleen mentioned. I also posted a link in the thread you formed a week or two ago with another group, if you're interested.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The reviewers will favor certain books but it is not just trade, a book based on a popular indie serial also got hundreds of reviews. I, personally, doubt it is full of book pirates. You only get access to books you are approved for, and I doubt pirates would be maintaining accounts that meet the common criteria of having a publication or busy blog and giving thoughtful reviews to at least 80% of book requested.