Genre Confusion - Need Help!

Miss Vicky

Getting the hang of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a short novel/novella (it's about 65,000 words, so I'm unclear which label it falls under). I'm toying with the idea of self-publishing it online but I'm assuming I'll need to tag it with genre labels and I really don't know what genre(s) it is?

I don't yet have enough posts to be able to ask for a beta reader and, due to my lack of posts and certain aspects of its content, cannot post it for critique on AW. So I thought perhaps I could describe its plot and maybe get some feedback?

My MC is an 18 year old male who finds himself homeless after his abusive father locks him out. After unsuccessfully trying to find other ways to support himself, he eventually turns to prostitution. Through his work - both directly and indirectly - he meets four different prospective love interests (two male, two female) and must choose between them.

The story contains a lot of sex (mostly with other males) - some of which is described in fairly graphic detail - but not all of its sex scenes are written to arouse and sex is not the focus of the story. The focus is on the MC's path and the sacrifices he must make in the name of love. It is not an uplifting tale. The MC endures considerable abuse, especially at the hands of one of his lovers, and his story does not end happily.

How would I go about categorizing such a thing?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Probably Adult if you're looking for an age category.

Miss Vicky

Getting the hang of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Well googling YA literature says YA targets readers aged 12-18 so that's definitely out. Most of the secondary characters are at least in their mid twenties and some much older.

In any case, age demographics isn't really what I meant by "Genre." Is there no way to narrow it down further than adult contemporary?

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It's over 40k so it's a novel, and not a novella.

Genre sounds like contemporary or mainstream fiction, and for age categories could technically be YA but is probably adult.

I've only just had a similar word count confirmed to me by my agent for an upcoming possible project, and was quite surprised to see that. Up until now, I'd been working under the assumption that anything under 80-90K was probably still a novella.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary fiction sounds like the right genre to me. Your description sounds like it's neither romance nor erotica. I see nothing to suggest mystery or thriller, nor speculative, historical, or horror.

The only further classification I can see is literary or commercial, which is hard to pinpoint without reading the book. Here's a blog article that provides a quick guide to that.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've only just had a similar word count confirmed to me by my agent for an upcoming possible project, and was quite surprised to see that. Up until now, I'd been working under the assumption that anything under 80-90K was probably still a novella.
Makes sense though. Here are some classic novel word counts:

69,066 – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
63,766 – Brave New World
59,900 – Lord of the Flies
49,459 – Slaughterhouse-Five

source

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well googling YA literature says YA targets readers aged 12-18 so that's definitely out. Most of the secondary characters are at least in their mid twenties and some much older.

In any case, age demographics isn't really what I meant by "Genre." Is there no way to narrow it down further than adult contemporary?

The thing is, you don't WANT to narrow it down. Not for querying. You want to go broad as possible and keep it simple.

"Mainstream fiction" is big, yes, but they're all big. Literary is big. Scifi is big. Fantasy is big. Crime is big. All of them have endless subdivisions--but it doens't matter, those aren't useful unless you're listing your book on Amazon. Agents are just baffled by books listed as romance adventure fantasy novels with science fiction elements and LGBT themes or whatever. They're more likely to think "??? well I dunno what that is, but I probably don't rep it" so really, truly, go for the biggest category you can to avoid self-excluding, and other than that, don't stress too much. ;)

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
pick a more general description for your book and let the publishers pidgeonhole it. Contemporary is a convenient catch-all.

Last edited:

Miss Vicky

Getting the hang of it.
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, you don't WANT to narrow it down. Not for querying. You want to go broad as possible and keep it simple.

I've no intention of querying or contacting an agent at all. As I said, my intention is to self publish. I'll most likely be going through KDP and perhaps one or two other avenues.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
1.Have you decided where to self-pub it?
2.Have you checked what categories are available there?

From your description it sounds like it can go into the Erotica, Romance, Gay Romance and Contemporary. Include as many as you can.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Fair enough. It wasn't clear to me that self pub was categorically set in stone; I read "toying" in the first post and assumed that meant you were on the fence.

For self pub, I would find books you can make comparisons with as a starting point, and see how they are situated. Doesn't have to be an exact match, just to get an idea.

What categories you should pick for Amazon probably doesn't have a hard and fast answer; there's a lot of marketing science behind which categories work for what books, and no firm agreement between indie gurus on the exact best strategy. Somewhere like 20booksto50k (facebook group) could still give you a lot of specific advice for selecting sales/genre categories.

I would avoid getting locked in the erotica box if you can, though.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
New Adult (some think New Adult is only romance but it isn't). As long as the MC is a certain age it can definitely be categorized as New Adult and contemporary.

Sounds interesting! I'm getting a Basketball Diaries feel from it. Maybe look into books like Basketball Diaries and see how they were marketed. Basketball Diaries is a biography but Jim Carroll embellished a lot of it to so it's a mixture of fiction. Anyway, even though yours is fiction, I don't know I just get a BD vibe from it. I feel like an audience who enjoyed BD or similar books would like this.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Your novel sounds like something I want to read, OP.