Facebook - Writer Page. What's OK to spread out?

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
So I've recently started my search for a publisher and I found that many publishers want a website or a Facebook page.

I've recently started my writer's FB page. I've added friends and I'm curious - what can I share?

I don't want to give out too much and upset prospective publishers. I mainly stated that my book has elements of X, Y and Z.

Can I give a synopsis, like what I would put in a query letter? Is putting out the first chapter crossing a line? I'd like to stay on the conservative side of things. While I would love to have people totally stoked, I don't want to reveal too much and have it be the reason my book doesn't get published.

Thank you all in advance.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I posted fragments of the novel in avant-premiere, news about the creation process, the cover photo when I received it, also writers' memes, articles about creative writing, chronicles of the novel, short stories, etc.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Past works are fair game, your cover blurb is perfect for the new book. Not sure why publishers want these pages, new writers have nothing to put on them. Of course, you could do what turns me off of 90% of new author's pages - Post pictures of your dog. :)

Jeff

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I post quotes from other authors in my genre: Tolkien, Lewis, Rowling, etc. Also funny LOTR and Star Trek memes. I post book reviews I do--this one is nifty since it can be automated. Link your goodreads account to Facebook, and every time you post a review there, it automatically goes to Facebook, too.

I'd go find names of authors doing well in your genre and search out their pages on Facebook. Re-post their stuff if you think your readers will like it. It sucks to basically be posting into the void, so you want to promote other people's stuff, too, to attract some traffic and likes.

Last edited:

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about this. Midterms came up and I couldn't get to this until now.

So yes. I am a new writer without any previous works done. I suppose the consensus is not to write anything about the book unless the publisher gives the ok? (And not to posts any pictures of puppies? :p)

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You can post anything about your book, because it is yours, and raising hype is good. Except the cover reveal, to this the publisher has the final say when to post it.

Inspiration music directly related to your book, small fragments (you might change them anyway till the final version), information about you, all are good.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You can post anything about your book, because it is yours, and raising hype is good. Except the cover reveal, to this the publisher has the final say when to post it.

Just FYI, not all publishers do a coordinated cover reveal (mine got leaked on Goodreads, and literally nobody at my publisher cared). If you want to post your cover, ask your editor; they may very well say "go ahead." (But do ask.)

Inspiration music directly related to your book,

Lists with links OK. Autoplay music? Never OK for any reason ever on the web. (Probably not what you meant, Elenitsa, but it's a pet peeve, so I had to say it. :))

small fragments (you might change them anyway till the final version),

Personally I'd advise against this. For one thing, you want your most polished and finished work to be publicly accessible, not earlier versions (even if you think they're good). For another, if you're trade publishing, you're likely to have a word count limit on how much you can use for your own promo, and you want to know what that is before you start dipping into it.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score

Inspiration music directly related to your book, small fragments (you might change them anyway till the final version), information about you, all are good.

I know it's mine, but I wouldn't want to post anything that the publisher would have a problem with. Would they have a problem with me saying, "This book is about X, who does Y and then Z happens..." and all that?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Try to make Facebook friends first, join groups, put yourself out there, make people notice you're there! It's easy to post stuff but it's much more difficult to get people to read it. Don't put excerpts of the book before the publisher okays this but you could discuss the topics of the book. Or you can just discuss your adventures in trying to get published. Also, definitely look up other writers on Facebook, lots of people are there, some post about their work, some don't.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know it's mine, but I wouldn't want to post anything that the publisher would have a problem with. Would they have a problem with me saying, "This book is about X, who does Y and then Z happens..." and all that?

My publishers encourage me to create hype and advertising on the internet as much as I see fit. They have no problem with revealing the ideas of the book or an excerpt, in order to create hype. Only one of the three publishers I published with, told me not to reveal the cover until the book is printed, and I obeyed.

I don't know what @Lizmonster meant by autoplay music, but there are youtube links. And I had never any limitation of promo words. I can do promo or not, they aren't interfering. Some of my other fellow writers published with the same presses do promo, others don't.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't know what @Lizmonster meant by autoplay music

This is probably my age showing. Used to be people would have web pages that automatically started playing music when they loaded. The irritation factor was MASSIVE, but it took a long time to convince certain types of site designers of that. (Artists. I'm talking about artists. I went to art school about 10 years ago, and I had countless arguments with artists who'd say "But <insert favorite tune here> will only enhance their viewing experience! Of course I must use autoplay!!")

Youtube links are fine. :)

And I had never any limitation of promo words. I can do promo or not, they aren't interfering. Some of my other fellow writers published with the same presses do promo, others don't.

I'm not talking about promo in general. I'm talking about actual text from the book. My contract says I can use up to 10% of the text of my published books for promotional purposes (and I can't charge money for any of it).

My point: If you're planning to trade publish, it's risky to publish any words of the final text of your work before you know all the details of your agreement with your publisher. Folks can make their own decisions, but it's not a risk I'd personally take.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, all! I'm only planning on really releasing a small blurb of what it's all about, like what I would send in an query letter. Part of me toyed around with releasing the first chapter or something to see what kind of writing style they're dealing with while releasing a teaser of what the story/characters are all about, but that's possibly a bit much.

:)