How do you know when you're done?

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
So I had an idea for a short story but I've sort of hit a wall. I know how I wanted it to end and have notes I had planned to add but now I'm wondering if it's done. The draft is only 266 words and although I know shorter works are published I just... I don't know. So how do I know when it's done?

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I hit a wall with my novel in a similar way: It was too short. So I went back and added some new scenes in the middle. Just because you wrote the end, doesn't mean you can't add new stuff. But don't cram things in that you don't need. Plus, when you edit sometimes you add more words. I don't know if that works with a short story, but that's just my advice.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Detri, if you didn't use all the content you'd planned to, maybe what's done is just the shortest version of it.

The fact that it seems complete at a very low word count doesn't mean you cannot or should not revisit those notes and attempt a longer, more publishing-friendly version using the same concept and characters. It's not unusual to write the same short story many times, cobbling together the final version from what's best about every other version.

You have enough posts here to put it up at SYW to see if people feel this version is complete and sufficient in and of itself. (I know--scary!)

Maryn, noting it's a double-spaced page

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot you two. I feel much better now. Are you saying I could TRY submit it as is and even if it's accepted I can rewrite it adding all the other details and submit again!? Also, any idea where I can submit crime/mystery flash fiction (man scews up with a murder type of thing)? I just wrote one have no idea where to look since I'm mostly just a scifi/fantasy type of guy.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. What you submit should be what you want them to buy and publish. Edits will let you tweak but not do major rewrites.

You're the one who says you know shorter works are published. I wouldn't know where to market something this brief. There was a time, when mystery magazines were many, that it might have make a delightful little filler piece, but now? I've got no market to suggest. I wish I did.

The good news is there's no ticking clock. Write a different version of the story. Take however much time you need. If you're pleased with the basic concept, look up some writer's guidelines and aim for a marketable length before you do a new version.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn I will give the scifi one the love I know it deserves and just enter the mystery or whatever it is in a contest or something lol.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what word count you are trying to hit. After you’ve written a few you’ll work out a few pages in what ballpark your end word count is: if I haven’t cleared the first act by page 5 then I might be looking at a solid 7k words, but lesser word counts need tighter pacing. That’s why the short story/ novelette distinction is usually at 7-8k.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
At 266 words it would qualify as flash fiction by most definitions I've seen, and it's possible your genre has a few markets looking for flash pieces. It's certainly worth exploring, but only if you think it really is finished.

I face this question a lot. I'm nearly always thinking of something further I can do to a story, to enhance the tone or explore the theme or improve the dialog. It's only when these thoughts stop coming to me that I understand that my story is finished.

drdecadent

Registered
Reaction score
Until it's published, I don't think a story is ever done. And when it's published, it could be done differently. I like short stories that get the job done quickly. Some of those stories running into thousands of words don't need it. I'd suggest getting a second opinion. Get someone to read the story and give you an honest opinion.

TheRyustyNail

Registered
Reaction score
Detri, if you didn't use all the content you'd planned to, maybe what's done is just the shortest version of it.

The fact that it seems complete at a very low word count doesn't mean you cannot or should not revisit those notes and attempt a longer, more publishing-friendly version using the same concept and characters. It's not unusual to write the same short story many times, cobbling together the final version from what's best about every other version.

You have enough posts here to put it up at SYW to see if people feel this version is complete and sufficient in and of itself. (I know--scary!)

Maryn, noting it's a double-spaced page
That's fantastic advice!