So many ways this could go wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in a bit of a panic right now. I was at the XPRIZE conference last week and I met David Brin. Just so we're clear here, he's one of my favorite authors, so I suffered a bit of lock-up--otherwise I could have asked the question at the time. Anyway, he said he was going to download my book, gave me his card, and told me to send him something. His exact words: "Send me something."

So. Other than the obvious, what does that mean? Send him copies of my books? A hello email? So many ways this could go wrong. Even emailing him for clarification feels like a minefield.

Yes, I'm probably overthinking this. I realize that. Not helping.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Usually in this industry when someone says "send me something" it means they want to see some of your work. Congrats! Cool you met your favorite author. I met one of the authors I used to enjoy reading but only online. We exchanged emails a few times. It was cool to get to speak with her. I know how you feel. If I were you I'd be nervous as heck. LOL! Wow, someone you love will be checking out your work. Get him a book pronto! Never know where it will lead!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is awesome news! I would love for an opportunity like this!!! Yes, send him the best one you got!!! Good luck, hope you get some feedback. That would be wild!!!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Dennis! So, now your life is complete, it's all downhill from here... :evil

Take a breath. Relax. *whew* There, that's better...

I wouldn't assume he meant, "Send me a book." He said he was going to download your book, yeah? I'd assume he meant, "Send me something you think is interesting (that you didn't write)." Maybe he's just curious what other SF authors find interesting? Maybe he badly needs a friend? Maybe he's out of ideas for novels and is crowd-sourcing his research? Maybe it's his equivalent of, "Have a nice day"? Dunno.

But I would send him something you like -- link to a blog, link to an article -- with a comment on why you think it's interesting, and see where it goes. Maybe nowhere? Maybe the start of a beautiful friendship? Most likely something in between. How bad could it be? Wait, don't go there...

Good luck. It's awfully cool to meet one of your favs!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming that all your books aren't free, I'd send him a book. Perhaps he might be willing to give you a blurb if he likes it, but he doesn't want to raise your hopes in case it turns out that what you write isn't really his thing. :)

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think he's looking for other pieces you wrote, like essays, short stories, etc. He could be doing scouting for writers for an upcoming project.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'd be inclined to write a friendly email saying it was nice to meet him and you enjoyed your conversation. If you were discussing something interesting with him, you could comment on that as well, but I'd leave it at that. He already said he'd download your book, so I wouldn't send him additional work unless he asked in a followup.

Status
Not open for further replies.