Resubmission etiquette when an agent gives advice

JackieZee

Registered
Reaction score
Back in March, I submitted my novel to an agent who requested a partial MS. She rejected the MS, but she gave me specific advice as to what she didn't like about it as well as positive feedback regarding what she did like. I replied asking if she would consider allowing me to resubmit if I revised with those suggestions, but I didn't receive a reply, so I figured it was just a rejection, which is fine.

Now I've done major revisions using that advice as a starting point, and I'm ready to query agents again, but I'm not sure the proper way to go about re-querying at this agency. This agency allows authors to submit to another agent at the agency if one passes, but I wonder if it would be proper etiquette to e-mail the original agent first, letting her know I've made revisions based on her suggestions, and ask if she'd like me to resubmit to her or if it's ok to submit to other agents? Would that be a polite thing to do, or would that be irritating and pushy?

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Back in March, I submitted my novel to an agent who requested a partial MS. She rejected the MS, but she gave me specific advice as to what she didn't like about it as well as positive feedback regarding what she did like. I replied asking if she would consider allowing me to resubmit if I revised with those suggestions, but I didn't receive a reply, so I figured it was just a rejection, which is fine.

Now I've done major revisions using that advice as a starting point, and I'm ready to query agents again, but I'm not sure the proper way to go about re-querying at this agency. This agency allows authors to submit to another agent at the agency if one passes, but I wonder if it would be proper etiquette to e-mail the original agent first, letting her know I've made revisions based on her suggestions, and ask if she'd like me to resubmit to her or if it's ok to submit to other agents? Would that be a polite thing to do, or would that be irritating and pushy?

Thanks!

You asked if she wanted to see it again, and she answered (by not saying yes, please send it if you revise).

If the agency allows for resubs to other agents following a pass by one, I'd say feel free to query someone else, but do it as if you were querying anyone.

lis_kb

Registered
Reaction score
I received a few rejections on my full MS from agents that offered advice to fix it. After I had made the revisions, I did contact those agents again stating that I had made substantial revisions that I felt addressed their concerns and asked if they would be willing to re-read. All but one said yes. None of these asked me to contact them again after rejecting me. I just took a chance. That said, I wouldn't do this unless you really had made substantial revisions that addressed their concerns otherwise it's a waste of their and your time.

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Had a similar situation with a big editor at a major publisher once. He sent me really detailed notes on my manuscript. I was delighted and replied, asking if he'd be willing to look at it again if I made these changes. No response. I figured that was a no, but am not sure. I figured if I ever made those changes, I might send it to him again. All he can do is ignore me again or say no.

In your case, I think it would be okay to email the agent and say you've made the changes and would they like to see it - or just send the query and partial again. If you don't hear back, query another agent at that agency.

Last edited: