Good news! Book deals DO happen!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
My copyeditor had no problem with sentence fragments, happily! They created a style sheet based on my own style in addition to the publisher’s style sheet, so whenever the latter didn’t dictate something, they could make sure my style was still consistent. I really appreciated that, because it gave me latitude to have my own voice/style without giving a pass to errors and inconsistencies.

Elsewhere on AW I read about someone who signed with a small press and discovered his book had been edited to remove all the em-dashes because the style sheet forbade them. It sounds silly, but this scares me so much I think I’d ask to see the style sheet before signing a contract with a small press now. If you want to dispute my use of a particular em-dash, fine. But strange global rules like that don’t fly with me.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
No em-dashes?! I can’t imagine.

Jeneral, when is your publication date? Pretty exciting to think tomorrow will be within the year for you. I don’t know mine yet other than either winter or spring 2020. It’s strange to think my second book will be due before the first one publishes. But I also think that’s good because it keeps me busy and out of my own head.

As for today, I’m taking the day off to read books that aren’t mine.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
When did everyone out there get their official publication date? I have a general idea.... either winter or spring 2020. But at what point is that narrowed down? (In U.S.)

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I got my UK date right away. I'm assuming the US date is the same since my publishers are closely coordinating the edits together, with same deadlines etc. But I'm not totally sure. I heard the US fills its calendar very fast. Anyway, you'll have a date soon, I bet. Everything will move towards that deadline.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
My agent told me that pub dates can be kind of fluid for a while as they get things nailed down. You'll have the "season" (Fall 2019, etc) but not necessarily a firm date. I asked and was told "probably September", and when the pre-order info went up everywhere it has a pub date of September 3. That happened in early December. Publicity stuff doesn't kick into high gear until at least 6 months out, so since it's still early I'm going to double check in a month or two to make sure that's the real date before I start planning the launch party, etc.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I was given my publication dates in the offer (Hardcovers February 2020, 2021, 2022 respectively. I assume paperbacks a couple of months after that, or concurrently with the hardbacks, I don't know)

Technically this is only Commonwealth. Though my agent tried to get me a US/NA deal, it was a no-go. People just aren't ready for that hot cryptozoological romance in the home of the brave after all.

I might have a chance of ever publishing in America if my publisher sells the rights at a book fair in the future, but that would mean all my US sales would be undercut by about 20%. (There was an initial offer of getting published in some dumping ground of an imprint owned by the same publisher, but that fell by the wayside because even trashfires have standards, obviously)

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Technically this is only Commonwealth. Though my agent tried to get me a US/NA deal, it was a no-go. People just aren't ready for that hot cryptozoological romance in the home of the brave after all.

I might have a chance of ever publishing in America if my publisher sells the rights at a book fair in the future, but that would mean all my US sales would be undercut by about 20%. (There was an initial offer of getting published in some dumping ground of an imprint owned by the same publisher, but that fell by the wayside because even trashfires have standards, obviously)

LOL. I guess we're just not as brave as we thought, darn it.

As for the publisher selling in the US down the road, just make sure it's such a sweet deal that you won't mind that -20% quite so much. :evil:

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
It is nice to hear, from the horses mouth, that book deals exist. I will bask in the borrowed glory for a few minutes and then get back to work. But thank you and congratulations!

- Mark Charke

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I guess we're just not as brave as we thought, darn it.

As for the publisher selling in the US down the road, just make sure it's such a sweet deal that you won't mind that -20% quite so much. :evil:

Ahahaha, yes! I wonder if publishers change their minds at a later date or if it really is no-means-no, even at that level? We went out pretty wide. I think the only US publishers we haven’t sent to/recieved a rejection from might be some little indie press or maybe (lol) Amazon.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
While we were on sub, I had a conversation with my agent about whether I would ever consider an offer from the trade pub arm of Amazon. I've become so mercenary, I think I said, "If they make me an offer I can't refuse...." :e2brows:

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to consider... rights are sold at all stages. So maybe they will change their minds if (WHEN) your initial sales show promise.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I do know a couple people who are published through Amazon and seem relatively happy ... ?

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Structural edits done!! Sending tomorrow, a day before deadline.
Woohoo!!

That’s fantastic!!! I’m still awaiting word on whether we’re doing another round or....? Which is fine, because I really need to do more on my WIP. Did you see Janet Reid’s blog post about sophomore books over the weekend? The pain is real.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I hope I get a couple weeks break so I can get on with my life before the (hopefully) line edit. I have a non-book to do list a mile long. And inspired by the FB 2020 Debuts group, I need to dust off my Twitter and co.

I haven't seen that book 2 post yet. Is it new? I've been feeling anxious about my book 2 since I need a good proposal at some point for the publisher to look at. And I have so much research to do, I'm intimidated by it. Why don't I write stuff I can just make up?? Me= :dummy:

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I hope I get a couple weeks break so I can get on with my life before the (hopefully) line edit. I have a non-book to do list a mile long. And inspired by the FB 2020 Debuts group, I need to dust off my Twitter and co.

I haven't seen that book 2 post yet. Is it new? I've been feeling anxious about my book 2 since I need a good proposal at some point for the publisher to look at. And I have so much research to do, I'm intimidated by it. Why don't I write stuff I can just make up?? Me= :dummy:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-dreaded-sophmore-novel.html?m=1

I asked for a reduction in hours at work from 40 to 32. Crossing my fingers it will be approved because I know what you mean... there’s just so much to do.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I was given my publication dates in the offer (Hardcovers February 2020, 2021, 2022 respectively. I assume paperbacks a couple of months after that, or concurrently with the hardbacks, I don't know)

I'm not sure if the UK is different, but in my experience, the paperback usually comes out a few months before the next hardcover. (And that's when the e-book price gets lowered.) However! It depends on the publisher.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Read the Janet Reid blog post, and I'm not comforted! LOL. I need to seriously hit the gas very soon.

Hope you get your reduction, sbw. A 4-day week would help!

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Omg I'm so happy for you! It's always wonderful to hear when things like this happen. Book deals do happen! Your success is so amazing, I bet it feels great, and you deserve to feel great! You did it. This is your moment!

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Kiteya! The hard work has begun getting the book ready for the publishers' final line edits, but it's so much fun, and still feels really good (if also stressful).

elmoujabber

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful! Congratulations! I'm so glad I came across this, this is just the motivation I needed. It was also very informative. Editing is sucking the joy out of my story. Hopefully it'll be worth it! Again, Congratulations :D

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful! Congratulations! I'm so glad I came across this, this is just the motivation I needed. It was also very informative. Editing is sucking the joy out of my story. Hopefully it'll be worth it! Again, Congratulations :D

Thanks, Elmoujabber! Glad the thread helps, that's what it's for. :) Hang in there with the edits. They can suck you dry at any stage all through the process. I'm line editing for my publishers and it's very hard to motivate myself to do this tedious stuff, even knowing how close to done it is. But yes, it will be worth it!

Updown

Registered
Reaction score
This was such a lovely read, thank you for posting.

I really enjoy reading detailed stories like this, it somehow gives me hope that we'll all get there one day :ROFL:

Congratulations on all your happy news!