Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any books anyone can think of that's popular where the public requested a sequel and one hasn't been granted yet?

There are lots. It happens often. Writers move on to new projects, publishers turn sequels down if sales of the first book weren't good enough... I'm surprised you have to ask.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the cars exited the apex of the curve where breakfast had just been eaten, the only thing that could be heard was the ear gratifying concerto coming from the steel and titanium exhaust pipes of those magnificently engineered machines. The soothing off pitched hum made the fluid in their spinal cavities resonate sending a chilling yet soothing sensation throughout their bodies. It was so powerful and raw as the cars accelerated towards the exit marker that it made each person's body slight pitch forward onto their toes in a slow climaxing guesture.
Can this be understood? Does it have specificity and context?
There's no context or explanation for the text you quoted. I had seen it in the "Favorite Lines" thread, but others may not have. A note expanding on why you posted it and clearly indicating you are the author would have given context.

In an overall, big-picture way, I have a general idea of what you are describing. However, on a sentence level, not so much, IMO. Apart from overwriting and spelling/punctuation errors interfering with my reading experience, there are ambiguities, odd descriptions, and POV questions that leave me scratching my head.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah . . . that's the wrong approach to take with me. If I'm going to have to teach freshman comp again, I need to be paid.

As the cars exited the apex of the curve where breakfast had just been eaten, the only thing that could be heard was the ear gratifying concerto coming from the steel and titanium exhaust pipes of those magnificently engineered machines. The soothing off pitched hum made the fluid in their spinal cavities resonate sending a chilling yet soothing sensation throughout their bodies. It was so powerful and raw as the cars accelerated towards the exit marker that it made each person's body slight pitch forward onto their toes in a slow climaxing guesture.

1. It's in passive voice. That's not necessarily bad, but it suggests an unreliable narrator, and it's confusing. For one thing, it implies that the cars have just eaten breakfast.

2. off-pitched needs a hyphen; so does ear-gratifying.

3. "those magnificently engineered machines" has an unclear antecedent; it's also over-written and telling rather than showing.

4. "the fluid in their spinal cavities" has a vague antecedent; the context suggests that the "magnificently engineered machines" have organic spines.

5. "It" has so vague in "It was so powerful and raw as" that it's completely unclear what the antecedent is.

6. “body slight pitch forward onto their toes in a slow climaxing guesture.” This isn't even quite English. Slight is an adjective; you need an adverb. Gesture not guesture; pitching forward on their toes is a physical impossibility and is rarely associated with climax.

You're clearly not quite understanding where you are. I'm going to give you a time out for a week while you get your bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.