Proposal: A Workshop for Developing Story Ideas

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Particularly wrt romances like those you mention . . . but, ackshully*, it's common with nonfic, too; some romances and certain types of nonfic are written to spec. So, that's why. I'll admit—from the discussions I've seen around the boards—I've made the assumption that story ideas are usually developed during plotting. Yeah, it's an assumption and we know how those things go. :greenie

I hate to be one of those "Actually..." people, but actually, creating your premise and synopsis up front isn't uncommon with publishers, at least in romance publishing. I've had to do it twice, then the idea is taken to the acquisitions meeting before there's a manuscript. So it's a good exercise regardless. Even having done it twice, I suck at it, and both books came out WAY different (and were a lot more agonizing work) because I hadn't solidified the stakes well. That's what I'm hoping to avoid with this exercise.

*Hoping you love me enough to forgive that. :e2flowers

ETA: Full disclosure—although I've always, always wanted to be a novelist, my experience is in nonfic. Alack and alas for the missing storytelling gene.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
No forgiveness required. I only wanted people who might be looking but not participating to know the skill we're learning here has a wide and useful application. Unlike HS algebra. *ducks*

p.s. My love for you knows no boundary, Ari.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
No forgiveness required. I only wanted people who might be looking but not participating to know the skill we're learning here has a wide and useful application. Unlike HS algebra. *ducks*

p.s. My love for you knows no boundary, Ari.
[emphasis mine]

:)

That part I put in bold? Yeah, excellent point.

Also, I may be the only person you know who came this close || to flunking high school Algebra II, but sailed through my first-semester college course in Calculus. Found out then I totally hate maths in any shape or form and never took another course.

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'ma try this after finals are over, when I can fully devote my attention. :D I have a stalled story that is stalled partly because I just haven't had time for it, but also because I never really took the time to sit down and think through the concept before I started. I expect this exercise will be helpful as a segue into picking it up again over break.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Silva and Atlantic12. Glad to have you. To get an idea of what's going on, you can tool on over to Brainstorming Sandbox where we've begun to put up story ideas for development. The thread titles begin with "Story Idea Workshop:". Feel free to add your thoughts and comments to those threads while you're pondering which ideas you want to put up there, too.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I think I get it, but perhaps I'm just not circumspect enough to pants it to that degree. That said, I had the urge of a notion on a possible story idea, so will throw my 2¢ in the mix. Likely already been done, and better than my idea, but will share regardless...

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jason, and welcome. Everything has been done. Originality comes from your voice & worldview + your character's voice and worldview and the character's approach to problem-solving. Together, those add up to story . . . provided, of course, that the problem to be solved is interesting enough or big enough to hold your reader's interest.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Note: Sign-ups and links to your sandbox threads are in post #10. If I've failed to include you on the list in post #10—which ain't beyond the realm of possibility and for which I apologize—please let me know.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I posted the following in Harlequin's thread in the sandbox; I think it's a good idea to post here, too:

Just a note to everyone: If anyone is concerned about having to share too much of their ideas, worry no longer. It's perfectly fine to share only what's necessary to help work out the thornier details. Our questions and comments are meant to help you delve deeper into the story idea. Use what you think helpful, ask questions for clarification if needed, but don't feel like you have to explain overmuch. You may, of course, but please don't think it's necessary for participation.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I've received a most excellent suggestion of something like the "wouldn't it be nice" variety and I reely like it. Twas this: To take an idea from inception—that initial spark of perhaps an image or that first what if?—through the exploration and development process.

Anyone game? Gotta bare-bones sticky-note or a flash in your brainpan you want to see worked out in the sandbox?

Last edited:

Barfus

Registered
Reaction score
Just to be sure, is it okay to lay out a fair amount of detail in an idea thread? I've been working on a piece for the good part of this year and have done quite a bit of world building, but I don't to be too cumbersomeness to the good people here.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
We're not limiting the amount of detail needed to lay out a story idea; lay out as much as you need for us to understand the story concept and help you with further development, but please keep in mind:

• The sandbox threads are meant for story idea exploration and development.
  • The sandbox threads are not critique threads so please do not include already written pieces of your WIP; that's what the SYW rooms are for.
  • The more concise you can be in explaining your idea, the more likely you are to get the help you need; iow, if we get overly wordy, eyes are likely to glaze over.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to return to this. Have.hit a snag. Heh. Life does not play well with others. :)

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to do this. I've been kicking this idea around in my head for years and yesterday wound up doing some intense world-building and story development that has really come together to something that seems worthwhile. I'd love eyes on it and suggestions. I'm about 30 minutes away from having a block of time large enough for me to type it up and post it over there. I hope that's okay?

I'm going to go read what others have posted in the meantime, so I can understand how I should present this thing to you awesome folks!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely okay. The workshop is open to anyone at any time who wants to kick around a story idea for viability or just needs some help in further developing the idea. Just let us know here when you put it up in Brainstorming Sandbox so that we'll know it's there and so that I can link to your story idea in post #10.

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely okay. The workshop is open to anyone at any time who wants to kick around a story idea for viability or just needs some help in further developing the idea. Just let us know here when you put it up in Brainstorming Sandbox so that we'll know it's there and so that I can link to your story idea in post #10.
Cool! I couldn't get it done in my little window of opportunity earlier today. Is there a certain format that's most helpful? I've seen others that have: Setting, Characters, and Stakes. I'm trying to figure out an uncluttered way to share the idea. I tend to ramble. I'll work on it this evening once I'm home from work and I can focus better!

Thanks!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever. We're always open. ;)

There's no real formula for presenting your idea. You can take a look at post #11 for the basics or you can flesh it out as much as you need to explain the idea. For clarity's sake you should include: your MC, what the character wants, what the character is up against (obstacles), and the cost of failure (stakes). If you can provide that much, you have the bones for your pitch and your query.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
May I please join, as well? I'm trying to write a murder mystery but my ideas are all over the place, I excel at procrastinating, and I over-plan in some areas while under-planning in others. As in: I don't know who my main character is yet or the consequences, but I can tell you a -ton- about everything else that's going on.
Three friends/roommates (tentatively named K, C, and A respectively) attend another friend's annual winter party, where someone is poisoned. The murder victim drinks the poison and tries to drive himself to the hospital, but dies during. The car crashes, so it at first looks like a motor vehicle accident. The murderer is a homicide detective who kills his brother out of jealousy. K is dating the cop. C and A aren't fans of cops, and K knows this, so there's already tension there. All three roommates are connected to both the murderer and the victim but they don't know it. I don't want to make K the main character--I want to make A the main character, but I can't figure out how. If I can somehow have the homicide cop get away with murder, I've done something I was indeed intending--the whole "he's investigating himself, so of course he's going to cover his tracks." Orrrr have his partner discover he's the murderer and refuse to cover for him. One of the two.

I would like help with this, as I feel like it's a cool premise that needs um, a lot of help already. But I intend to complete this project!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
You certainly may and we're glad to have you. It does sound like a cool premise.

Put your story premise up over at the Brainstorming Sandbox forum with a thread title beginning Story Idea Workshop: plus your story's working title or your username; ex. Story Idea Workshop: iszevthere. I'll watch for your story idea to go up over there and I'll link to it from this thread in post #10.