New old writer

jconnor

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just trying this out with fears flying through my system. Took a few days just to post something. So, about me eh.

Okay, first started writing in 1991, it was published but self-published (2007) and I didn’t know it was self-published until after I signed on the dotted line. (I know. Absent minded)

My second book, Infinite Power, is complete in the draft phase but I want to really improve my writing and to do that I would need to start correcting, or at least read others work and see what I would, or could do.

Now, I’m assuming everyone knows about the plethora of tips on YouTube, they didn’t exist when I started and so my writing suffered as did my confidence. But now with all of the tips spread throughout the internet I’ve been feeling a new life is brewing within. My only question is where are these postings that people want you to see? This site is kinda big you know. :)

There are so many things to remember and the best way to keep remembering is to do it over and over and over again. We can even post the link to a video to help the writer out.

See, that’s all I want, to improve my writing and that’s something we all want because it will lead to our publication.

What do I like reading?
Good stories or words. Yeah, I haven’t read for pleasure in a long time but I’m hoping that’ll change.

Do I beta read?
One must know what that is to accomplish it. So, no. Unless brain is performing it without my knowledge.

My only question is, where’s the work? Or words that need a little attention. Actually, I don’t see them as requiring attention, we need the work. So we can improve. If that is your goal, I’m here to help.

Okay, so that’s my intro post and I want to wish all of you a wonderful time and I’ll see you at the correction table.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi JConnor,

You'll find some pieces of writing under the AW Writing Lab and the SYW(Share Your Work) section. There you can see small excerpts of books people are working on in a variety of genres.

Beta readers are those who do a read through of your work and give you feedback.

Hope AW gives you what you need in order to continue writing and working on your books. Good Luck!

jconnor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I didn’t elaborate on my position but I shall rectify that.

My first book was a vampire book that turned into a series of 3, after the first book was written, a publisher wanted to publish it but it wasn’t until after I signed the contract did I realize it was a self publisher. Not terrible, but not wanted. While I was waiting for the contract to expire on that book I started writing my second book that turned into a series of 4 books. So I have 2 books written and 2 series to write but something always told me something was wrong with my writing and no one could tell me what it was. It was only later did I realize no one could tell me because they didn’t know. A professional could, but I didn’t see one. I guess I was young and scared. Now I’m here.

I’ve looked up the latest videos or work that suggested ways to improve writing and it has revitalized my effort. I’ve finished going over the material and just started rewriting the old vampire book. I’ll do a few pages and maybe, be brave and have people check these pages.

I’ll just mention that in 1991 when I first started thinking I could write, I was 19. Today I’m 46 and needing to have these stories told (they won’t stay silent). They have their own reason for existing, I just need to have the stories conveyed in a pleasurable manner. I’m slow in writing because I’m still a perfectionist but look foreword in going over other people’s work because it’ll help me with mine and obviously the other writer.

For now, I need to rewrite and perhaps get more comfortable writing and maybe be more trusting of myself.