• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What do your characters want?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time figuring out what my characters want. I can think about what they look like, about what jokes they crack, about what annoys them, about their backgrounds, but I just can't get the I-want-this thing going for them. On those rare occasions I can come up with that for my main character, a story revs up and gets going nicely. (It may turn out to be a stinker later, but at least it's a story.)

So what are some exercises for figuring this question out?

If it helps, I usually write about people's personal dramas in the real world. Not that I'm against sci-fi or fantasy, but I just have a hard time doing anything with a spaceship or dragon that doesn't become ridiculous fast. ...

I didn't know what my character really wanted until I got close to the end of the book. It was always there, and one could summarize it superficially from the beginning: She wants to change the world. But what that meant changed.

At first the changes she sought were the most important things in the world to her. But as she found out about the much bigger world out there, her view of what mattered in life changed. Like when you think finishing school and getting a job are the most important things then you find out society is screwed up and you're going to need some bigger goals if you want to change the world.

Goodreads: Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence by Lisa Cron is a good guide for inner and outer goals of your characters.

Like all writing advice books, some writers loved it and some were not impressed so YMMV.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know what my character really wanted until I got close to the end of the book. It was always there, and one could summarize it superficially from the beginning: She wants to change the world. But what that meant changed.

This is a theme I've always resonated with. I enjoy books where the characters discover and refine their wants. I also write many characters who have changing desires and goals. When you take that journey with them, it really makes you feel like you know the character.

Gateway

You Are My Density
Registered
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time figuring out what my characters want. I can think about what they look like, about what jokes they crack, about what annoys them, about their backgrounds, but I just can't get the I-want-this thing going for them. On those rare occasions I can come up with that for my main character, a story revs up and gets going nicely. (It may turn out to be a stinker later, but at least it's a story.)

So what are some exercises for figuring this question out?

If it helps, I usually write about people's personal dramas in the real world. Not that I'm against sci-fi or fantasy, but I just have a hard time doing anything with a spaceship or dragon that doesn't become ridiculous fast.

Not coincidentally, I've been having a dreadful time deciding what I want in finding a day job I can tolerate. This is something of a personality flaw of mine. Sigh...

Will Smith says a few things here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrETxYW4YJw

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes backgrounds shape who they are. Maybe think about what goal they want based on their personality and background because what they want depends on who they are.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score

Wow. That was good. Thanks for sharing!

ETA - I'm watching it again and now I'm taking notes specific to my WIP. I've been writing this story for two years, have examined it from every angle all that time, and understand it better than anyone could understand a piece of writing. I need to change a few things based on some of what Will said.

I'm so glad you shared that. :Coffee:

Last edited:

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I ask a lot of questions. Sometimes, I don't realize I was asking myself questions until I find the answer. I mean, asking questions is a simple exercise, but it works. I ask another question once I have an answer to the previous question. The question has to have the previous answer in it UNLESS I hit an EUREKA moment. It helps to start with the Who, What, Why, Where, etc. Here's an example with random questions and answers:

Whose the MC?
Jacob.

What's Jacob doing?
Going from village to village, collecting the sick on his cart and taking them away from their village.

Where is Jacob taking the sick?
To a small cave along the Northern shores of Remina

Why is Jacob taking them to the cave in Remina?
To throw them over the cliff.

Why is Jacob throwing them over the cliff?
Because the demon, Illinast, lives there and eats them.

Why is Illinast eating them?
Because Illinast is weak and is trying to gain strength. He needs someone to get his food for him.

Why is Jacob feeding Illinast?
Because Illinast promised to cure his village of a dreadful plague that hit a few weeks prior. Among the sick is a group of orphans that live with him.

Why did Jacob keep the orphans?
Because he's a thief with ties to the wealthy. He can find the orphans good homes.

From my questions, I've determined that Jacob's motivation for this...really vile deed is to save orphans from dying of a disease. This, as a result, will get me thinking about his actions, and dive into the details so a motivation can be developed more! It's a lot of fun when you sit down and imagine what's possible!

CaliforniaMelanie

Registered
Reaction score
What my characters want was/is actually the ONLY part of my book I've found easy so far. I know what they want; I knew it before I put down a single word. They want to be loved and if they can't be loved, they'll find a way. Take that as romantically or in as sinister a way as you want; they will go in different directions on this.

Wanting, deep down, to be loved - or having been hurt severely by not being loved - is at the core of every single one of my MCs' motivations even though they express it very differently.

By the way, it's not a romance novel.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but I'm gonna throw my process at you.

Identify a character flaw and ask: why?

If you're having trouble figuring out what your characters want, take a closer look at their weaknesses. Got a character who parties a little too hard? Maybe he wants to feel young forever. Got an overbearing mother? Perhaps she wants certain expectations for her children. This goes another level deep. Why does she want these expectations for her children? Maybe because she didn't grow up with opportunities.

Usually character flaws are related to what characters want. Not always, but sometimes.

Last edited:

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
By Series:

Adventures of Elsabeth Soesten

Elsabeth: It's...complicated. On the surface she just wants to live her life in a world where society wants her to put her in a box, and gets away with it largely by virtue of no one actually knowing WHAT to do with her, and just having a better sword-arm than anyone who might force their objections. However she's actually driven by a mess of issues underneath, particularly a longing for recognition by her peers despite knowing she'll never have it, and other things too spoilery to get into within the context of this post.

Hieronymus: By contrast to Elsabeth, Hieronymus is quite simple: To serve God to the best of his ability (even if he's not the most reverent of holy men himself) and despite his mercenary nature, most of what he doesn't need for his daily expenses (and doesn't get deposited in the local nunneries and taverns) is given to those in need.

Changeling Saga

Ælfbeorht Gyldenéage: All he really wants is to live his life in peace, and once he's dragged away from his home to find out why he's being hunted so he can return to it again.

Ælfþeow: Ælfþeow strives to fully earn his freedom, and to pay back the debt he feels he owes to the the ones who rescued him from bondage.

Galdor: The scop desires nothing more than finding new tales to tell and songs to sing, and if that means taking an active hand in making them, so be it.

Beornwíf: Beornwíf wishes for her comrades to stop only seeing the Lady of her father's hall. She wishes they would remember that despite her station she was raised to be a warrior, and is as strong as any of them and not in need of protecting.

Hræfna: She is driven by her failures, and is desperate to set them right because it is the only way she'll be able to go home again.

Þegnlíc: Þegnlíc wants vengeance for his fallen King. It's a death that weighs heavily on his shoulders because he was a part of the Hearþwára — the King's bodyguard — and he feels deeply ashamed that he survived battle when his Lord did not.

Shieldmaiden

Réada: Réada is driven to regain the memories of her past that were taken from her, and to find out not only who she once was, but what she will become.

Reflections of Exeter

Cynefrið and Ælfwina: Their foremost goal is to be reunited.

Last edited:

Lehssner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble knowing what my characters want too. I've done a lot of world building and have the plot down but figuring out what my characters' motivations are has been hard. On the other hand, I'm not sure most real people know what they want, I definitely don't, so I think it may seem forced if you create a character that already knows what he/she wants out of life. I say figure out what your character is like, how they respond to stimuli and all that. Then toss them out into your world and see how they navigate the plot while remaining true to the identity you've created for them. They may not turn out the way you thought they would but it might be more organic and the character should develop in exciting new ways. I'm not sure if that's the best advice to be honest and I haven't gotten far enough to find out but its appealing somehow.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Some great answers that I like talk about wanting, willing, needing and conflict between them. (I also agree that the 'want' is perhaps most effective at 'hooking' if it is something the reader can picture. A character wanting to make enough money to buy a basketball is easier for a reader to hold in mind as a sort of goal-destination, than that character wanting to be more athletic.)

Here's how I think about it, FWIW. I've learned to conceptualize this as what they want vs what they love. The central conflict of the story can be between these two things, and the protagonist makes a choice for one or the other late in the story.

I've also conceptualized these two ideas as the external want, and the internal want. The internal want can be relationship-based, but not necessarily. the external want is a thing, typically that the character wants to attain or change. Again, internal and external goals go into conflict. A character want to preserve her marriage (internal/what she loves), but also wants to be the CEO of Big Corporation.

Last edited:

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble knowing what my characters want too. I've done a lot of world building and have the plot down but figuring out what my characters' motivations are has been hard. On the other hand, I'm not sure most real people know what they want, I definitely don't, so I think it may seem forced if you create a character that already knows what he/she wants out of life. I say figure out what your character is like, how they respond to stimuli and all that. Then toss them out into your world and see how they navigate the plot while remaining true to the identity you've created for them. They may not turn out the way you thought they would but it might be more organic and the character should develop in exciting new ways. I'm not sure if that's the best advice to be honest and I haven't gotten far enough to find out but its appealing somehow.

Impelling the character to action via plot may give the author a very straightforward 'want' for a character. I think some characters find out what they want through an action or behaviour, you might find out about them once they are moving so to speak.

Last edited:

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not judging, i'm far from perfect here, but i am surprised at just how many writers dont know their characters. I know mine in and out, right down to every hidden demon, every hope and dream, every flaw, every quirk. I'll get right into the sick detail; say, how they dress, even why they dress that way, hell... how they like other people to dress... i mean everything. I'm particularly fastidious in this way, but if i'm reading right here, some people dont know the first thing about their characters. I guess a plot is as important as character, but i find at least that with a deep and powerful characterization, the stories just spring from the page.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not judging, i'm far from perfect here, but i am surprised at just how many writers dont know their characters. I know mine in and out, right down to every hidden demon, every hope and dream, every flaw, every quirk. I'll get right into the sick detail; say, how they dress, even why they dress that way, hell... how they like other people to dress... i mean everything. I'm particularly fastidious in this way, but if i'm reading right here, some people dont know the first thing about their characters. I guess a plot is as important as character, but i find at least that with a deep and powerful characterization, the stories just spring from the page.

Are you a pantser or a planner?

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
Are you a pantser or a planner?

A bit of both. When i started, 100% pantser, but back then this was all a fancy and i didn't take it at all seriously. Now, i'm taking it seriously, and when i actually want to achieve something, i plan. I'm not anal/obsessive, i dont think i even could be, but outlines are good.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Plot-driven stories and character-driven stories are different beasts though, aren't they? (Obviously there can be plenty of overlap but speaking generally.) Certain types of mysteries, thrillers etc don't necessarily require much character development at all.

I'd love to write more plotty stories personally because I find myself struggling a lot of the time to drill down into my characters' motivations... sadly, I'm pretty shit at plots, so struggle on I must.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not judging, i'm far from perfect here, but i am surprised at just how many writers dont know their characters. I know mine in and out, right down to every hidden demon, every hope and dream, every flaw, every quirk.

Did they spring fully-formed from your forehead like Athena from Zeus? Or did you need to get to know them at some point? I suspect for a lot of people, it’s the latter. And I think a lot of discussion in this thread is about the different techniques and approaches people have for doing that.

There are a couple of characters in my current novel whom I am still struggling to fully understand after working on the thing for more than two years. And understanding them doesn’t just mean knowing what they like to put on a sandwich. It means knowing how they would respond to any situation, what desires - conscious or unconscious - drive the choices they make. It also means shaping them coherently so that it makes sense when they do the things I want to have happen in the story. And it means figuring out how to reveal those details of characterization within the weave of the story itself. That’s a lot to do and it doesn’t happen in an instant.

For me, it’s very helpful to place my characters in situations other than the ones that appear in the novel, and probe their responses to those situations.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score

I'm inclined to find out about them as I go. I might have a vague idea of appearance or height and a couple of interests but apart from that they end up revealing things as I write. I never wrote a bio for my lead character in my first book, but I could see him and knew him and his family so to speak.

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
Did they spring fully-formed from your forehead like Athena from Zeus? Or did you need to get to know them at some point? I suspect for a lot of people, it’s the latter. And I think a lot of discussion in this thread is about the different techniques and approaches people have for doing that.

You know, some of them did! I've tried to describe my creative style to some people. Best i can say is that i dont write at all, i dont create at all, i channel this stuff. Where it comes from i have no idea. I need a character, lets say a female love-interest, and she's there. Boom. I need a minion for a malevolent antagonist, he's there. I need details, she provides. I need more, i just wait... more comes. They are all completely from the ether, and often i'm even shocked as to why they come that way. Occasionally i'll nix a certain trait, or explanation, but i'll still wait for the character to replace it on their own. Its hard to explain. Its like i',m not writing/creating at all... i'm taking dictation. Other times i'll just 'grab' a character from somewhere. I'll turn my tattooed tough guy friend into a misunderstood beta teen. I'll turn an 8yr old Cosby-kid into a hardened USMC mercenary. I'll turn a sappy Hallmark movie lead into a vicious LotR style elf. With the 'grab' technique i can have staggering amounts of backstory, character, or motivation. I love to twist things...

Sometimes, for me it can get truly intense, as even plot twists and endings reveal themselves. I've had stories move themselves along so effortlessly sometimes i kinda get to sit back and read, like reading my own book for the first time. Problem with that is, i think its also made me a bit lazy.

There are a couple of characters in my current novel whom I am still struggling to fully understand after working on the thing for more than two years. And understanding them doesn’t just mean knowing what they like to put on a sandwich. It means knowing how they would respond to any situation, what desires - conscious or unconscious - drive the choices they make. It also means shaping them coherently so that it makes sense when they do the things I want to have happen in the story. And it means figuring out how to reveal those details of characterization within the weave of the story itself. That’s a lot to do and it doesn’t happen in an instant.

For me, it’s very helpful to place my characters in situations other than the ones that appear in the novel, and probe their responses to those situations.

:e2coffee:

You know what reading this last paragraph brought to mind? Some scene in a movie somewhere, i think a kid who's recently lost her mom telling her dad that she cant remember her face. Her dad says: 'dont try and picture her face, or remember faces at all, instead, remember something that happened, a time you had with them... and the faces will come to you'. Or something like that. Thats actually really good advice, and it works. So taking your character and say, 'dumping' them into a scene that requires, or creates character might just work. I actually do a lot of 'deleted scenes' writing... chapters i dont intend to publish. Some can be pretty silly. Like, big tough badass goes to a jewelry store to buy his girlfriend a necklace. Or strong female lead goes on a date with some asshat narcissist. Or just grocery shopping during a robbery or something. You'd be surprised what comes out of the woodwork, or what you might learn from the scene. I'll write alternate endings too, 'it was just a dream' endings, etc, etc. I do a lot of different things to really squeeze blood from stone (my characters). Sometimes i'll even get a story chapter out of it.