• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Opinions of "skillShare"

nctransplant252

Registered
Reaction score
That may not seem writing related but go with me here. SkillShare is a site I have heard many youtubers pushing, youtubers I trust. You can watch videos and learn skills. One of the skills is writing techniques. So my question is this, from those who are not paid to push it, are sites like these worth investing in. I got code that enabled me 2 free months of skillshare for free and I am trying to decide if it's worth investing 15 a month in. If I'm honest it would be 15 a month to do writing classes on there, so I would really like opinions about wether it would be helpful or should I just delete my account and RUN!
thanks guys, you always have great ideas.

Emily.

(if anyone is wondering what youtuber hooked me, it was Matpat, with Game theory, please try to keep focus on the site though and not your hatred of him)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Did you learn anything in the 2 free months?

If yes, consider investing further.

If no, don't.

Everyone responds to different teachers and techniques, as we're all at different stages of journeys to different destinations with our writing.

I will say that there seem to be numerous online writing courses through numerous venues (such as Udemy), and it's not uncommon to find discount promotional periods; very rarely is the "once in a lifetime" offer just once in a lifetime, so don't let a sense of false urgency spur you to spend money you wouldn't have otherwise spent.

JMHO, of course.

(For the record, I've done a few online learning things, with mixed results. Took a couple online writing courses that taught me a few things, learned a fair bit about HTML/CSS and time management on Lynda for a while, but I couldn't blanket recommend anyone spend money sight-unseen on any one venue. All mileage may vary.)

nctransplant252

Registered
Reaction score
That does help, and admittedly the site doesn't impress me. Ironically enough I have a "if it seems to good to be true, it is" motto. I just want a site to help me figure some of the basics out, plotting, world buiding, charecter design. Maybe the best thing to do is ask for help in those areas. Lol again thanks

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your previous threads all seem to be related to the same issues. Starting. :Hug2:

This here - AW- is a huge and helpful site. Of course you can and should ask for help in specific areas, but first, have you tried using the site specific Google Custom search box at the bottom left corner of this (and every) page?

Pop in a brief 'plotting' 'world building' or other few words on whatever topic about which you wish to learn something and you will be shown stacks of existing threads relating to and/or covering that topic. Note that the higher the thread number the more recent the thread. And be wary of re-opening any old threads.

Happy hunting.

Other ways of learning basics include reading widely, including books of the type you wish to write.

There is a massive Share-Your-Work Forum here, too. Try reading submissions there. Reading the responses of others can be helpful, too. And if you wish to make a comment on any submission you are free to do so. There is a 50 post qualification in that Forum but that is only for the opening of a new thread - not for commenting on the submissions of others.

Nothing helps us become more aware of potential flaws in our own writing than spotting the flaws or errors in the work of others. Again, be wary of opening old threads.

Good luck.:Hug2:

ETA- If you can get hold of it, the paperback Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V Swain may be of use to you. It's an older book but from what you have posted it may cover a lot of your issues in simple language. Don't study it, just relax and read it.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I would say that even if you do find something useful in the info on the site (or any other pay/subscription site), is it anything that you can't get for less or for free just by reading around the internet and books at your library? I'm a bit wary of monthly subscriptions because it doesn't seem like you're spending much - but (for example) even a fairly small amount like £5 a month is £60 a year and are you getting anything more than from it than you'd get if you spent £20 or so on how to books? Or spent nothing and borrowed the same books from your local library?

Also I agree with Bufty's advice, wholeheartedly. And be careful not to fall for salesperson talk, like giving you the impression that you NEED to do their course in order to have the tools to succeed at writing. They talk like they've got magic beans. No-one has magic beans.

If I was going to recommend just one site for writers to find all kinds of information, advice, ask advice from other writers, get great feedback... you're already here. When your post count gets to 50 you can post stuff for feedback in the SYW section. But I agree with Bufty's advice to spend time just reading other critiques and try giving some critiques as well, before you post your own work. You learn as much or even more from reading and giving critiques as you do from getting them.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
'plotting' is an art, something you have to discover. It's not like you can go to a book and get the FOIL* method of plotting.

(Remember? First, Inner, Outer, Last - from algebra)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Check your public library not only for books, but for free classes online and off.

Participate in NaNoWri Mo; it's completely free, there's no pressure to be perfect, and it's actual writing, which will teach you more than just about anything (and I'm including revising your own writing in writing), followed closely by critting for other writers, and reading.

There's a wealth of information about writing on AW, from every aspect.

Mostly though, you need to write.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
That may not seem writing related but go with me here. SkillShare is a site I have heard many youtubers pushing, youtubers I trust. You can watch videos and learn skills. One of the skills is writing techniques. So my question is this, from those who are not paid to push it, are sites like these worth investing in. I got code that enabled me 2 free months of skillshare for free and I am trying to decide if it's worth investing 15 a month in. If I'm honest it would be 15 a month to do writing classes on there, so I would really like opinions about wether it would be helpful or should I just delete my account and RUN!
thanks guys, you always have great ideas.

Emily.

(if anyone is wondering what youtuber hooked me, it was Matpat, with Game theory, please try to keep focus on the site though and not your hatred of him)

I'm sure SkillShare is probably a great site for some things, but I don't think it's necessary for writing techniques. This forum is a great place to get help and there are TONS of books on the craft of writing that are extremely helpful. I took a couple years off writing just to simply read more and learn about the basics of writing, and while I have definitely learned a lot and feel so much more confident in my writing, I've come to accept that I will ALWAYS be learning more about writing for as long as I choose to write.

Instead of spending $15 a month on SkillShare, why not spend that money on a new writing book every month? If you need some recommendations, here are some of my favorites: The Secrets of Story by Matt Bird, Story Engineering by Larry Brooks and Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas. And I'm sure there are dozens, if not hundreds, of other great books on the craft of writing. (However, I do NOT recommend Stephen King's book On Writing. It's an interesting read, but I don't think his situation/writing style really applies to the average person and I felt more dejected about my own writing after reading his book...)

PS: I LOVE Matpat. He's a great youtuber and really puts a lot of work and research into his videos.

AJakeR

Not with a bang but a whimper
Registered
Reaction score
People hate MatPat? Did I miss something?

I wouldn't trust YT'ers because, yeah, they will likely be paid to peddle it.

My outlook on writing is always to learn things for yourself. Self-help books are great for reference but everything you learn is what you've taught yourself through trial & error; the best way to learn is by doing. At least in writing. Though I appreciate others will be helped more by lessons and lectures, etc,.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree on the local advice. Can you spend the $15 a month on something local, like at a community college or a library? And I don't know where you live but many cities have local writing centers where you can attend workshops on varying topics, such as genre fiction or getting published. That way, you'll be learning in person and have face-to-face contact with others; yeah, it might be intimidating but it can only help in the long run.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing Bufty's advice to check out Share Your Work. The critters there have taught me most of what I know about editing. And it's free.

*scatters random chocolate for any critters who might pop by*

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many free great videos on youtube that cover all sorts of writing techniques that I can't see a reason to pay for one.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Brandon Sandersons classes are free on YouTube and they are university quality, the same lectures he gives his students. I am sure he has already had a mention in here somewhere. And they are good by all accounts.

Sounds like Skillshare assumes everybody's skills are worth sharing. They're not. At least, not when you have to pay a sub.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing Bufty's advice to check out Share Your Work. The critters there have taught me most of what I know about editing. And it's free.

*scatters random chocolate for any critters who might pop by*

*trips on random chocolate*

Good heavens, who scattered all this random chocolate around? I'd better pick it all up so somebody doesn't trip and break their neck or anything!

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Brandon Sandersons classes are free on YouTube and they are university quality, the same lectures he gives his students.

Seconding this suggestion. I don't write SF but I've learned a LOT from Brandson Sanderson's classes. I also recommend a podcast he's involved in: Writing Excuses It drops every Sunday evening US time and is only 15 minutes long. I think it's in the 13th or 14th season. Past seasons are online as well as the current season: https://writingexcuses.com/ Seasons 3 and following are especially good. There are transcripts as well as the podcasts (but the interplay among the regulars and guests is worth taking the time to listen to them).

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite free YouTuber

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_fcv9kBpDN4WWrfcbCrgw

Jenna Moreci

She's funny and her videos are informative. Her early videos are the best, her recent ones have ads, I think she has skillshare as a sponsor.

But like others have said, just write your first novel, you'll learn so much. Finish it all the way to the end even if you run out of material or it's horrible. Your second novel is going to be so much better and your third even more.

writingexcuses.com is good too and is also free.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Check your local, public library (PL). With a library card, you can checkout hard copy and digital books (ebooks) for free. My PL has LOADS of books on writing novels, screenplays, and so on.

nctransplant252

Registered
Reaction score
Wow... sorry I just logged back in. I have been thinking over the advice. I will check out the youtube link and Brandon sanderson video. I will also take some time to read through the site to get advice from you guys. I am doing nano, but I do not why.
But thanks again for the advice.