Don't want to break any rules.....but I have a couple of questions.....

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know I can't advertise my books here until I've posted like 40 times, right? And that's fine.
Could I post a facebook author page and asked people to please go and comment on my book cover for my next book that is coming out in November?

My first book got really good reviews but everyone panned my book cover BIG TIME! Hurt my feelings. I'm trying to do better but I don't know if I have or not and of course my beta readers and friends all said they liked the first one.

I'm being careful here, not mentioning any names or anything cause like I said I don't want to break any rules but I really need help with this AND if this is against the rules does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get some new opinions on the subject.

Thanks ever so much.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AW is not really the place to advertise your books. If you've got a promotion going on, or an announcement to make, you can use the Announcements, Events and Book Promotions subforum, but as you've already noted, there's a 50-post minimum before you can post your own thread there.

If you want to create a thread for people to give feedback on your cover design, you can do it in the Art & Design subforum. Just be aware that many members balk at going offsite to give feedback. If you want, you can post your cover within the thread, but you should make certain it conforms to the guidelines of that subforum (specifically, the size of the artwork you post).

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
What mrsmig and Maggie said with regard to getting feedback on your cover design. Just be sure to read the stickies in Art & Design.

If you have questions about what is considered acceptable book promotion on AW, my "door" is always open via PM or the thread "Have a question about your promotional opportunities on AW? You can ask it here." You can also check out the links in my signature for a quick reference. I recommend the thread How do I promote on Absolute Write with aplomb, and What's this deal about "engaging the community"? as a starting place.

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ari Meermans. I wasn't really looking to promote. Although, I can see how it might have been taken that way. I just published my first book on Kindle on October 1. It has actually sold fairly well. But my cover has been panned BIG TIME by EVERYONE. So I'm putting out the second one on November 12....I have 30 ready to publish......and I am trying to improve on each one. So I wanted to do better on my cover and I wanted some fresh eyes on it. All I'm getting from everyone that has seen the first one is "Well, it's better than the first one." I have had a lot of great compliments on my writing so I want the cover to match it and someone told me I could prowl around on Good Reads and they offer beta readers, so I'm checking into that right now and maybe I can find someone to help me there.

I hope no one thought that I was trying to promote. I really wasn't. But I've been watching a lot of pod casts regarding indie publishing and they make such a big deal out of the Cover....like I said, just trying to do better.

Thanks for the offer though. I really appreciate it.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Listen to the Ari, for she is wise and full of excellent information.

Also, definitely read the stickies for rooms before you post in them, so you know if you're posting in the right place. Frex, this is the room for users of the AW IRC chat channel. Where you're also welcome to come join us, by the way. Instructions are here. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved this thread from the IRC forum to Book Promotion Ideas and Advice.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Asking for critiques on Absolute Write? :Wha: You're very brave.

Just kidding.:tongue But be aware that folks will be honest (some brutally so) but it will be to help you.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Hi, Art & Design moderator here.

Anyone is welcome to show proposed book covers for critique and advice (provided it fits the forum's image size guidelines). We're a relatively mellow bunch over in Art & Design.

You can check out some cover assistance threads here and see if that's the sort of discourse and advice you would find helpful.

Here are a few:
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?339019-Two-books-two-covers
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...-humorous-thiller-looking-for-feedback-please
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?337621-Asking-feedback-for-a-fantasy-book-cover