Nanowrimo question: Does it need to be a new book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyB

Registered
Reaction score
To participate, do you need to wrote a new book in a month or can you work on something you’ve started?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing you're supposed to do is write 50,000 "new" words of a novel.

There are rogue NaNoers who'll write nonfic or short stories, but still with that 50k goal. There are writers who will write ahead of NaNo, then use that writing to jump-start their NaNo project. You can pretty much do as you want; no one is going to check your work against your word count. You could write absolute gibberish and it'll still count toward your goal.

While I've done NaNo in the past, I find that its goal and my writing style (I edit as I go) are at odds with each other. I much prefer the twice-yearly Camp NaNo, for which you set your own goal. There's also the added option of being placed in a "cabin" with other writers. You can form a cabin with friends (there's almost always at least one AW cabin for Camp), be assigned to a random cabin, or opt out of being in a cabin. It's up to you.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Used to be the rules would tell you it had to be a new book, but a few years ago they changed that. All you need are 50,000 new words.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to NaNoWriMo; I'm moving this BWQ thread there.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
They do recommend for your first NaNo to start something new for the full experience of coming in fresh, but it's not required at all and is no longer considered rebellion.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, they said that to do NaNo right, you had to start a new novel. And I like to recommend that for newbies, even now that they've changed the rules, because I feel like the big build to NaNo is much better when you're revving up for something new (or something you haven't worked on in a long time), rather than continuing something you've been working on for the months leading up to NaNo.

However, in reality, I recommend working on whatever is exciting you. Whatever state it is on day 1 or how salable it'd be in the long run or how many drafts you'll have to do in the future. As long as you're motivated, go for it and have fun!

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Really, as long as you're satisfied with how you get those 50,000 words, you're good. The point of NaNoWriMo is to get people writing and show them how to do so regularly and repeatedly. So cheating at it is like cheating at solitaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.