Hello, world

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
A quick introduction, as some famous dude said something about brevity and wit and souls, and I tend to agree with him.

I write speculative fiction, mostly sci-fi at present. Unpublished but pretty close to having a book ready to start shopping around to agents, so I expect to be in the query trenches soon.

I read voraciously, about 50-70 books/year. About 75% sci-fi and fantasy, with some other stuff mixed in. Favorites in the past year or two include The Murderbot Diaries, most of John Scalzi's work, 'Salem's Lot, and Cloud Atlas.

I've been writing most of my life, but took a break from seriously working on anything for about 15 years while pursuing an acting career. Now hyperfocused on getting a complete novel out into the world, hopefully to be followed by many more.

I do beta read, and I enjoy critiquing and exchanging thoughts on work. I've done a lot of it over the years, and I look forward to exploring this new forum in which to do so. And yes, I'm also hoping I'll find some people here who will be able to help me hone my own work.

My hobbies include hiking and Krav Maga, though I'm sadly rusty on the latter at the moment. Too much time spent hammering the latest novel into shape--but so it goes. I have, alas, not figured out how to fit everything I'd like to do into 24 hours/day. ;)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting life you’ve lived!

Welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. And thanks for the info, regdog. Already checked out the Newbie Guide, Forum Rules, and a fair number of stickies, though it will take me some time to work my way through all of them. (Then again, I doubt I'll have the need to read the ones in forums I won't be active in, so that makes it a bit more manageable. :) )

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Fullon_v4.0. Yes, more hours would be lovely. As the timing of this post indicates. Blast, one of these days I'm going to learn not to start a critique at ten at night.

Maybe.

Pampurrs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorpamanders.com
Hello there...

I'm new here too. Everyone was so nice to me when I posted my intro, so I'm trying to reciprocate. I've read some pretty interesting intros. Welcome!

Pam

daughterofeve

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm new as well, also working on a SF novel. I can definitely relate to the struggle of fitting everything into a day. I'm supposed to work on my writing, pursue an education, exercise, sleep, and have a normal social life in 24 hours? Please.
I hope you find everything you're looking for on this forum!

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
Wellcome!

I read voraciously, about 50-70 books/year.

My hobbies include hiking and Krav Maga

Maybe we can have some day a nice talk about what books fit to self defence in wilderness?

I like to put my soft cover Bibble inside my coat in front of my right hand elbow so I can use it in some elbow tecniques. ("Let's just beat them with the Bibble, you know.")

And Hellers Catch 22 is a perfect choice to trickery & bluff.

And...

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Starsknight

I've been writing most of my life, but took a break from seriously working on anything for about 15 years while pursuing an acting career. Now hyperfocused on getting a complete novel out into the world, hopefully to be followed by many more.

I do beta read, and I enjoy critiquing and exchanging thoughts on work. I've done a lot of it over the years, and I look forward to exploring this new forum in which to do so. And yes, I'm also hoping I'll find some people here who will be able to help me hone my own work.

My hobbies include hiking and Krav Maga, though I'm sadly rusty on the latter at the moment. Too much time spent hammering the latest novel into shape--but so it goes. I have, alas, not figured out how to fit everything I'd like to do into 24 hours/day. ;)

I look forward to seeing some of your work on here and hopefully when the time comes you can help me out with mine. I've actually heard of Krav Maga. I have a friend who was very involved with it a few years ago. Although, that is the extent of my knowledge on it.

Hope you find your way around easily enough.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there!
I'm new as well, also working on a SF novel. I can definitely relate to the struggle of fitting everything into a day. I'm supposed to work on my writing, pursue an education, exercise, sleep, and have a normal social life in 24 hours? Please.
I hope you find everything you're looking for on this forum!

Thank you, oh Koala One! The same to you.

I like your location, incidentally.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Starsknight

I look forward to seeing some of your work on here and hopefully when the time comes you can help me out with mine. I've actually heard of Krav Maga. I have a friend who was very involved with it a few years ago. Although, that is the extent of my knowledge on it.

Hope you find your way around easily enough.

Thanks, Gerald, and welcome yourself! Funny, I didn't think to elaborate above. So for anyone who's curious, Krav Maga is an Israeli martial art focused on practical self-defense, and borrows extensively from a variety of martial arts and fighting techniques. It's used by the Israeli military and a fair number of law enforcement agencies; it's also increasingly used as a basis for Hollywood hand-to-hand combat choreography.

Blast, just writing about it makes me miss it. Ah, well. Hopefully I'll be back to it come December.

I'll look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Last edited:

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Wellcome!

Maybe we can have some day a nice talk about what books fit to self defence in wilderness?

I like to put my soft cover Bibble inside my coat in front of my right hand elbow so I can use it in some elbow tecniques. ("Let's just beat them with the Bibble, you know.")

And Hellers Catch 22 is a perfect choice to trickery & bluff.

And...

@Alan Aspie, Ha! Not sure how I missed your post earlier, but that's a marvelous idea!

Silver Lining

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

As you mentioned to me in my introduction thread, I also look forward to seeing some of your work.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Silver Lining! (I like your moniker, btw.)

I'm currently working on version sixteen-hundred-and-shoot-me-now-three of my query (okay, it's not actually that bad, but I have well over fifty pages' worth of scrapped possibilities). I think I'm finally beginning to get to the point where I'll be seeking some outside eyes to shred it to bits and help me rebuild. (Better. Stronger. Faster.) So yes, you may be seeing me over in QLH soon. :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, starsknight. :hi:

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
@Alan Aspie, Ha! Not sure how I missed your post earlier, but that's a marvelous idea!

And if you roll your Sun Tsu: The Art of War very tightly you can use it as kubotan.

And 3 Hiaasen's + couple of Harry Potters in a bag is good to use as a sledgehammer.

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
Alan - I started reading The Art of War, but had too many other things on my plate and left off fairly early on. I should give it another look; just finished a book which makes several references to it (Arena, Holly Jennings), and it'd be nice just to be familiar with the book to pick up on such things. Not to mention that I've heard it's quite interesting in its own right.

Zan75 - Thanks! :)

Alan Aspie

Registered
Reaction score
Alan - I started reading The Art of War, but...

Chinese literature is old. It is wide. If they pick five classics among all that has been written in thousands off years... Well... I think it must be worth reading.

If you read it, you should remember that it is layered.

There is always practical layer. And there is another practical layer that is in the direction of bigger picture. And there is third practical layer that is in detailed direction. So here you have 3 layers.

And the substance is layered. Everything he says about war, he says about politics too. That is too layers. And he says it about society and culture also. That is three layers of substance.

And there are layers of abstractions. Practical + abstract + meta abstract...

And there is of course warcraft, tactics and strategy. And one more I will not name.

And there is...

And he deals with these as overlapped fields - as they are.

If think you understood something easily, it means you haven't even started to understand what there is to understand.

Take any sentence through all of these layers and you see part of it's point. Not all, but some.

That is why great brainiacs of war use to say, that reading it hundred times is not enough and great hacks use to tell that "I read it - it is not so cleaver."

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.