Contract help?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Hey all - I suspect this is one of those "talk to a lawyer, Liz!" questions, but I'll ask anyway.

I am currently without an agent, but I've just received a contract for a short story. A lot of it seems straightforward, but there's a whole section that seems to be related to producing a film (a "just in case we want to" section, I'm assuming), and some of the terminology is pretty foreign to me. And I've no idea if the terms are typical or not.

My mom's a retired lawyer, so I hate signing something I don't completely understand.

Does anybody have any pointers/resources/web pages with some background on this stuff? Anybody have a lawyer I could email in a panic? :)

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if this will help, and it is certainly not the same as targeted advice from a lawyer, but The Publishing Crawl podcast did a whole series of episodes, each about different common clauses in publishing contracts. It was mostly focused on novels, but I know I felt like I understood everything a lot better after I listened to them all.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried punting it to Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware? It might take her a couple of days to get back to you, but she's been helpful to me in the past in interpreting some confusing clauses.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a member of the UK's Society of Authors they give free contract advice to their members. I suspect there are similar author organisations in the US that would do the same.

I'd probably strike out the clauses relating to film unless they have a record of publishing stories which are later made into fabulous films.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
If you're a member of the UK's Society of Authors they give free contract advice to their members. I suspect there are similar author organisations in the US that would do the same.

I think the closest we have is Writer Beware.

I'd probably strike out the clauses relating to film unless they have a record of publishing stories which are later made into fabulous films.

It's a whole separate contract, which makes me think it may've been included by mistake. I've reached out to the acquiring editor, who's going to check for me.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So just to give you folks some closure on this:

I talked to some knowledgeable folks, and I went back and asked for a few changes, to which they said, "Sure, makes sense, no problem!"

And I signed a few minutes ago. :) So I guess I sold a thing!

Thanks for all the support, everyone. AW is wonderful. :e2flowers