Did video games inspire/influence anyone else to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
Heck yeah. As a matter of fact, it was the video game World of Tanks that not only re-kindled my interest in writing, but also inspired me to plan out a bunch of stories about tanks.

Brad Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
While games didn't spark my interest (It was RL Stine admittedly) they have been a constant influx of new ideas. Even now, I'm working on a fantasy novel inspired by elements from Witcher 3 and God of War PS4. The relationship between games and novels is very dynamic, as to be expected since the best video games have their own fully realized fantasy worlds full of lore.

Sakura_ASH

Registered
Reaction score
Video games have been a very big influence for me. Especially the JRPGs with good world-building and character development. A 4-book series I finished a few years ago took some inspiration from the little-known Golden Sun video game series for the Gameboy Advance, and also the Tales series of games, most notably Tales of the Abyss. I definitely played Golden Sun before starting the series, but I played Tales of the Abyss in the middle of writing the series, so the idea of my protagonist being one of thousands of mass-produced clones may not have been inspired by Tales of the Abyss.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Every time I boot up "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" I want to write vampire fic, then think better of it.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
A short story I wrote (one of my favorites, actually) was inspired by a few Dark Souls bosses I crunched into one demigod-like character.

Video games are a separate medium, for sure, but I think they deal with themes in a similar way to books. I was always inspired by how the Souls games and Bloodborne connect the themes and motifs of the individual games to the imagery, world, and gameplay. It's so satisfyingly cohesive.

Sometimes, with my books, I like to think "This is a book about fire and moonlight, the same way Dark Souls 1 is a game about death and sunlight." Or, "this is a book about water and passion, the same way Bloodborne is a game about bodies and dreams." It helps me think of ways to tie the book together like the games are tied together. Every image, every sound, every moment is a deeper exploration of the same few ideas.

Yesss. Miyazaki's games have had an enormous influence on the way I view the unities of storytelling. As a reader (and player) they've also taught me the joy of piecing together a narrative through the fragments of a found world.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yesss. Miyazaki's games have had an enormous influence on the way I view the unities of storytelling. As a reader (and player) they've also taught me the joy of piecing together a narrative through the fragments of a found world.

Since Miyazaki is the Gene Wolfe of video games, it's fair to say his influence has also ruined me as a writer. I like unsatisfying narratives!

Lawless

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember getting any ideas for novels from video games, but I am writing a report of my current Skyrim game in the form of a novel – meaning, it's strictly from the perspective of my player character, first-person, without any mention that it's a video game. (Although, of course, it'll be obvious to the reader because I'm posting screenshots.) I have currently published 33 chapters in my blog and I keep writing new ones as I play.

RCRichardson

Registered
Reaction score
Although I was already an adult when the first video games came around, I did like some of them.

Last edited:

kujo_jotaro

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say they played a huge role, especially the Final Fantasy series. I remember just being so hooked and engaged with the story in a way like I could never experience with movies or books, probably because you are engaged with it more directly as a player, but I also remember just how original and out there the ideas were. It was just the kind of thing you never got to experience in Western storytelling!

Blue Tortoise

Registered
Reaction score
For me, yes. And the biggest influence was Metal Gear. That story is deep, engrossing and spans over decades. Cheesy at times sure, but I really love the story Kojima told.

kujo_jotaro

Registered
Reaction score
For me, yes. And the biggest influence was Metal Gear. That story is deep, engrossing and spans over decades. Cheesy at times sure, but I really love the story Kojima told.

What did you make of the 2nd to 5th Metal Gears? I loved the first one but the second had way too much dialogue, and the plot was kinda bloated. I thought Snake Eater was the one that came closest to capturing that magic again, but after that for me it felt like it lost its way.

Rojack79

Registered
Reaction score
For me the God of War series has inspired me to write my current WIP. What if there was a world where the gods and goddesses of ancient mythology are real and what if they were all killed or died out and then got reincarnated as normal humans that have to re-ascend to godhood. All of that from man's quest to kill the gods of Olympus.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Games follow story structure, why not? I watched a gameplay video on YouTube for Luigi's Mansion. I knew exactly where, in the 3-Act structure they were during the videos. I knew when the climax was coming, before it came, for example. Very interesting to watch these videos and spot story beats.

I watch these videos to add fun PG-13 type extravagances to the stories. I got a lot of great ideas.

To answer the OP's prompt, I do not play video games to be inspired to write. I watch gaming videos to enhance my writing.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Video games have definitely inspired me, although more in their tone than anything. I used to play very story-light games like Spyro or Pokemon when I was little, but more recently, I've tended more towards games which are very much about atmosphere and lore (Owlboy, Hollow Knight, Bloodborne etc.) and I find those tones very inspiring.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Two video games in particular hugely influenced the idea of my first manuscript. Final Fantasy 13 (Xbox 360) and The Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy). I absolutely adore those games and their tones inspire e to this day.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Two video games in particular hugely influenced the idea of my first manuscript. Final Fantasy 13 (Xbox 360) and The Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy). I absolutely adore those games and their tones inspire me to this day.

RedMargarita

Neck deep in research
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queerstrada.wordpress.com
Fallout and Mass Effect have been enormous influences on my writing. Especially when I find something I dislike about the series, I make a note of it, and put in a story. Sometimes, when I get writer's block, I just play about an hour of a video game, and then I get the urge to write. It's kinda great when that happens, to be honest.

There was one time I was going to write a ME fan fiction, until I decided that it would be better to make it an original story.

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
Games are a unique medium of expression, and I'd be surprised if anyone who writes and plays games isn't affected by them, in the same way people are affected by movies and books.

The feeling you get in some games like Baldur's Gate II, after you've overcome the enemy's traps, golems, and dragon, and you're headed for the last battle, is great. Precious few books have made me feel that, and I remember those.

Blue Skies

Registered
Reaction score
Twenty years ago I had an Ocarina of Time-inspired dream that started my first major piece, fantasy, however, also tragically fated about a year later when it got completely corrupted. Oh well...

mhdragon

cats, writing/reading, video games
Registered
Reaction score
My whole life since high school has been World of Warcraft. Took a break for about 5 years, then picked up it again. My WIP is inspired by WoW and anime.

It's funny whenever do fight scenes in my head they play out like fights in anime. But then when I write them, I have to put all the anime away and think in terms of craft what would make the most sense. When I first started writing seriously in college, I was notorious for head hopping. However, now I favor a limited 3rd person POV.

Aegrin

Registered
Reaction score
A short story I wrote (one of my favorites, actually) was inspired by a few Dark Souls bosses I crunched into one demigod-like character.

Video games are a separate medium, for sure, but I think they deal with themes in a similar way to books. I was always inspired by how the Souls games and Bloodborne connect the themes and motifs of the individual games to the imagery, world, and gameplay. It's so satisfyingly cohesive.

Sometimes, with my books, I like to think "This is a book about fire and moonlight, the same way Dark Souls 1 is a game about death and sunlight." Or, "this is a book about water and passion, the same way Bloodborne is a game about bodies and dreams." It helps me think of ways to tie the book together like the games are tied together. Every image, every sound, every moment is a deeper exploration of the same few ideas.

Splendid! I'm not the only one influenced by vague yet deep souls lore and themes! I recommend watching Vaatividya's videos on the matter. It is wonderful source of inspiration.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Video games are one of my greatest passions and have laid down damn near the entire foundation for my interest in storytelling. The stuff I write has taken inspiration from them, both knowingly and unknowingly, since the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.