• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Golden Brick Road Publishing House

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
A somewhat bizarre set-up: https://goldenbrickroad.pub/pages/about-us

They're a bit close-mouthed about what they actually *do* and there are no nitty-gritty details as such on the site. Other than they're apparently a "traditional/hybrid publisher" (isn't that just hybrid by default??)

However, someone in one of my groups was investigating their "co authorship" programme as a source of income (for her), and posted info they'd gotten from an enquiry, wanting to know if it sounded like a vanity press.

"To be a lead author in our coauthor model, there is no cost to you. You actually earn 20% of the coauthors investment because you will be the creative lead and their project manager. We are fully involved but you take on some of the work and source most of the authors; we will add anyone we feel is suited that comes our way

If you just want to do a solo book, it depends on what the book needs. Depends on the production costs and marketing plan we are going to take. We recommend $20-50k for a book over a year or two depending on its goals. This includes first print and shipping budget which can easily be $5-10k.

Co-author-$2500 per book is your contribution. We don't charge any additional marketing or admin for the life of the book but we continue to market our authors and their services. We use 25% to keep the book going, 2% to every coauthor. When we sell 10,000 units, every coauthor earns it back.

Most our authors take advantage of our author cost on the books, and sell at their own signings, and online in their own community. You get 65% off.
We also offer 10-20% on bookstore connections you send us / signings you do there personally as an incentive to get active with the book."

Am I reading this right? They want someone to spend 20-50k per book?? Or am I missing something?_? I'm going to feel like a dolt if I've misread.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I can't work out what's going on there. By co-authors, do they mean contributors to an anthology? So, as 'lead author', if you want to make the $20,000 required to produce and promote the book, you'll need to secure eight 'co-authors' each of whom ponies up $2,500 for the privilege?

I...don't understand.

(Reading about the "Inspiration Trickle Effect" just makes me want to go to the loo.)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Hrm, sort of like a pyramid scheme? I don't know, I'm honestly not sure. It could be.

Apparently, an acquaintance this person knows, paid $2000 to write a single chapter for one of these co-authored books. I have no idea how many chapters the book had, or if it ever made them money back.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
To be a lead author in our coauthor model, there is no cost to you. You actually earn 20% of the coauthors investment because you will be the creative lead and their project manager. We are fully involved but you take on some of the work and source most of the authors; we will add anyone we feel is suited that comes our way

What this appears to be, to me anyway, is the lead author finds 19 writers wanting to be published, wanting it bad enough to pay $2,500 and that gets the publisher $47,500 (the lead not having to contribute money) and then the publisher pays the lead 20% of that total for organizing everything.
Looking at FB and all the excited new Authors talking about their books, they seem to order boxes of their own books and hand sell. So again, the publisher is making a lot of money off that too. The retail price of the books are set so high that even with the author discount, the publisher is getting from the writers, say $10 per book. Saw one co-author announce on FB to her friends to order her book now, during pre-order promo, while the price is only $31. Because when the book comes out and hits the market, she's been told the book stores have said the retail price will be set at $41.95 (OMG!)
Meanwhile the "publisher" is all excited that one of her books (with her name as lead Author) has won a, more then dubious, "Book Excellence Award". (once more, OMG!!!)