(re)introducing myself

rosemary1023

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to do another intro post, because it's been a while since I was active here.

I try to write, but I never finish anything; mostly because I have an idea, and then it branches off into fifty different directions and my indecisiveness gets in the way. Or I get to 60,000 words, realize I absolutely hate it, and have the digital equivalent of a doorstop.

When I write short stories, I have to write them as a script first, for some reason, and then fill in the blanks later. Not that I've ever successfully completed a short story after college.

I have a mild interest in graphic design, but my self doubt gets in the way and I stumble over myself. My grand idea was to do projects gratis for people while I try to build up my skill, but I run into the issue of either not being able to find people, or finding people whose expectations far exceed my skill level (you want a web banner or photo editing? Ok! Oh...you want me to do fifty books covers, and you want them all to look like they were hand-lettered by Jessica Hische...um). I went to college for it, I have a BFA, but I was described by one of my professors as "one of the most uncreative people ever admitted to this program" so do with that what you will.

Lastly, I love proof reading. It just pushes all my fun buttons. I've made a couple of attempts in the past to actively beta read, but three things messed me up: my complete and utter lack of organizational skills, just not poor follow through, and frequent brushes with poor mental health, the most extreme of which included a hospitalization. I've flaked on people because of a mixture of the three, and I aspire to fix the first two, because I did a well enough job beta-reading that people actually have asked for me to read for them again. I've basically resigned myself to reading short stories and novellas at the moment due to the aforementioned lack of organizational skills/follow through, and it's helped productivity a lot.

The point of me coming back here, is this is all stuff I want to fix. I need pointers, and accountability, as I try to do that.

Uh...something else about me...I'm 32 (I think?) I live in upstate NY, currently am unemployed, which is one of the reasons I decided to dive back into investing time in this stuff. I'm married, a cat named Lithium and a peke/chi mix named Bear. I have an interest in paganism and witchcraft, but spiritually I'm more Buddhist (but I don't actually consider myself Buddhist). For fun I go on nature walks and take pictures of any mushrooms and/or bones I find. I'm AFAB (assigned female at birth) but I consider myself agender and prefer They/Them pronouns (though I don't care if people use She/Her). I still play the PS1 Resident Evil games and Tomb Raider, much to the bewilderment and chagrin of my husband. My top two genres to read are PNR and horror, but ne'er the twain shall meet, and the last book that I read that I would hands-down recommend is Gonzo by Jann Wenner.

I honestly need to get a name change or something because this handle no longer feels like me, lol.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rosemary,

Welcome back! I hope coming back allows you to tackle those obstacles that you're working on. Sorry to hear about your inability to finish a project. i don't really have any experience in finishing a project to give you advice, but I will say don't stop. Continue on with your writings and it you don't like something, rewrite it and do so until you're happy with it. Nothing wrong with scrapping something you've written and getting after it again. Hope AW allows you to overcome some of the difficulties you have at the moment.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with everything.

CindyB

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back! Never give up. Sounds like you know about a lot of intersting things