Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Hi, I'm increasingly receiving all-pages, without any error notices, when I click on a thread. This happens on multiple devices. Refreshing the page doesn't help. Neither does closing the tab and trying again.

Does anyone know why this happens, or at least see the same issue?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm increasingly receiving all-pages, without any error notices, when I click on a thread. This happens on multiple devices. Refreshing the page doesn't help. Neither does closing the tab and trying again.

Does anyone know why this happens, or at least see the same issue?

If there are no error messages, that suggests that there's a connection problem on your end.

Can you check that you're using https:// (rather than http://) — some anti virus software will interrupt a connection if you are not using https://

Are you connecting via WiFI, broadband or modem?

Are you using a computer (what OS?) or a device like a tablet or smart phone?

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I first assumed this was a connection issue. My internet service isn't great. The thing is, this happens on specific threads. I can open up most, but some only show up as a white page. The same thing happens the next day, or several days later. For example, I can't see the thread about which movie we last watched, while I can see this thread.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I first assumed this was a connection issue. My internet service isn't great. The thing is, this happens on specific threads. I can open up most, but some only show up as a white page. The same thing happens the next day, or several days later. For example, I can't see the thread about which movie we last watched, while I can see this thread.

1. I suspect this may be related to very long threads.

2. On your non-computer devices, like smart phones or tablets:

Try using the Mobile template

1. Scroll down to the very bottom of the forum.
  2. On the left is a menu; it probably says --AW Style.
  3. Click the menu and try selecting a Mobile style.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The length of the thread could very well be the source of the problem. I'll compare threads and come back to report.

I'm fairly confident the style is already set to Mobile.
awwcscreenshot_20181017.png

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Here are some results from poking at the Science Fiction and Fantasy forums.

"Sticky: The Suspiciously Sweet Siren's Seaside Sandwich and Sing-Along Shoppe" (>7k posts) returns a "Secure Connection Failed" error page saying, "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." That one makes sense to me.

"Sticky: The 2018 Works We Loved" (<50 posts), "Sticky: Fantasy/Sci-fi Blogs" (~200 posts), "The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap" (~2.7k), and "What we're reading, the SFF edition" (3.5k) load correctly. So far, so good.

"Sticky: The Bragatorium" (~1.9k) goes to a white page.

Size doesn't appear to matter. With the exception of any super-large threads that take too long to load, threads both smaller and larger will open without problems.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some results from poking at the Science Fiction and Fantasy forums.

"Sticky: The Suspiciously Sweet Siren's Seaside Sandwich and Sing-Along Shoppe" (>7k posts) returns a "Secure Connection Failed" error page saying, "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." That one makes sense to me.

"Sticky: The 2018 Works We Loved" (<50 posts), "Sticky: Fantasy/Sci-fi Blogs" (~200 posts), "The 2017-2018 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap" (~2.7k), and "What we're reading, the SFF edition" (3.5k) load correctly. So far, so good.

"Sticky: The Bragatorium" (~1.9k) goes to a white page.

Size doesn't appear to matter. With the exception of any super-large threads that take too long to load, threads both smaller and larger will open without problems.

That really does look like it's an issue on your end.

Please see if you're running any security/firewall software that might object to a https:// page that has, for instance, images or links that are loading from an http:// connection.

Members, as an example, my have book covers or links in sigs that are not https://, thus making it a "mixed" site. Some Web browsers will drop the connection.

AW has not dropped the connection out or had server-side lags.

The "Connection was reset" refers to your connection. I suspect the white page is because the connection is blocked on your end, possibly because of "mixed" pages with http://.

That is, by the way, going to be an issue going forward, as large numbers of sites are not https:// and, on sites like this one with sigs and other user content pointing to other sites, it's going to be mixed.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Admin, why does the issue of the blank threads look as if it's on my end? I can access threads that include images from http sources. The connection reset error is not the issue in this thread. I feel as if the issue I brought up here is not being addressed.

I can not access certain threads and do jot see a pattern to the ones that return a page with text and one that opens to nothing but white.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How do you view threads? I seem to recall that I couldn’t view really long threads when they weren’t in linear mode. It was very long ago, though; many upgrades since then

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I've tried different settings, but the problem is that the tab is completely. There's no header, no footer, no lines of any kind. The

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Sorry. I'm also having troubles with replying, an issue on all threadswhere replying is even an option.

@Sage, when you had a problem a long time ago with threads opening, were those pages completely blank? Do you remember?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm also having troubles with replying, an issue on all threadswhere replying is even an option.

@Sage, when you had a problem a long time ago with threads opening, were those pages completely blank? Do you remember?

Android is dropping the connection. I can see it happen.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, can you capture the inbound HTTP headers? I'm wondering which version of Android and browser. I have an interest in such matters.

Yes. That's the user's data and they're the ones to share it. Not me.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
For the white page issue or the reply freeze issue? I'll give you info for both.

Android 8.1.0

Firefox: White page for inaccessible threads. Browser freezes during reply attempts (regardless of number of tabs open or a cleared cache before logging into site).

Chrome: Error page for threads discussed here:
"This page isn’t working
absolutewrite.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"
Can reply? (Testing that with this post.)

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
This is a reminder that the issue of inaccessible threads occurs on desktop and mobile devices, using different security software, on different browsers, and with different settings for AW.

An "HTTP ERROR 500" is an indication of a site-side, not a user-side, issue.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I can access "The Copper Colossus's Chowdah & Chai Cafe" thread in the SFF forums on my mobile device (with the desktop view, using a mobile browser) but not on my desktop computer (also in a desktop view but on Firefox). On my desktop computer, the page loads entirely white with no text, images, or error messages. The devices are on the same internet connection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.