Joined forever ago, forgot to make an intro!

Eurydice

Case Study
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name's Mary, and as you can tell by my name... I'm one of those people who likes to talk about Greek Mythology. I joined the site forever ago, but never made one of these threads...? I mean, I checked. I didn't see one show up where it should be. Well, here I am now!

When I'm not writing, I'm doing other nerdy things, like tabletop gaming and video games. I also bake, do cosplay, craft jewelry, and window shop for clothes I will never fit into because I'm kind of chubby. I mostly write various forms of fantasy... I mean, even my sci-fi is fantasy. It's like a cookie, you can't have just one. I used to have 3 WIPs, but I chopped it down to just one so I would have a reasonable workload, since I'm just now learning about those at 25. I'm a slow learner I guess.

I consider myself a friendly person, eager to make lifelong friends and share recipes! Except my mother's buttercream frosting. No one can have that one. Sorry.

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Though technically should I be saying welcome when you've been here longer than me? It's ok to be a slow learner. I'm 28 and still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

I used to love Greek mythology but haven't studied in years and in a recent conversation came to learn I'd forgotten most of what I used to know. Have you ever written stories based on mythology? I've only ever tried once.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Mary Eurydice! I'm a fan of Greek mythology as well. And cookies. Not so much of buttercream frosting, though, so you’re safe with me. (No offense to mom, of course.)

Eurydice

Case Study
Registered
Reaction score
Nathan: One of my WIPs that I shelved was heavily drenched in Greek mythology... and then I got embarrassed by my idea and, well, told it to bother off for a bit. Now I'm writing my own mythologies for original worldscapes, and I find that immensely fulfilling (and less likely to set off my inner critic.)

Denevius: Hello there!

regdog: Thanks for the official list of things~

coddiwomple: Oh, my last name isn't Eurydice! I wish it was, though, that'd be... kind of neat. I do have plenty of cookie recipes I can share~

Last edited:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my last name isn't Eurydice! I wish it was, though, that'd be... kind of neat. I do have plenty of cookie recipes I can share~

See now, here’s where we may have to agree to disagree. Because I thought Mary Eurydice had a nice ring to it, and maybe it SHOULD be your name... ;)

Or I could stick to baking cookies instead of renaming people.

Anyway, about that love for Greek mythology... have you ever been to Greece, or would you like to go? I went this summer on an art history study abroad trip, and saw the cave where Demeter mourned Persephone, and the spring formed by a stamp of Pegasus' hoof when he was captured by Bellerophon. I know, mythology. But darned if I couldn’t picture it happening, right there.

Have you studied other mythologies as a basis for your fictional ones?

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Mary! I've suddenly got the urge to go and have a cookie now! Perhaps I'll slap on some buttercream frosting as well.... hmmmmm.... cookies.... I'll be back in ten....

CindyB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Do you know anything about the Greek language? Nice to meet you.