• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

My biggest problem at the moment is starting to write

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I'm doing a thousand words a day and I've done so for about ten days now.

The hardest part of the whole thing are the first 20-50 words. I sit there and procrastinate for like an hour, checking reddit, different forums, checking email.

Once I get the 20-50 words down, I write the rest. Maybe taking a break here and there but it's not as hard restarting as the first few words are.

Am I alone? Is there some kind of psychology behind this? Anyway to make it easier?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I'm doing a thousand words a day and I've done so for about ten days now.

The hardest part of the whole thing are the first 20-50 words. I sit there and procrastinate for like an hour, checking reddit, different forums, checking email.

Once I get the 20-50 words down, I write the rest. Maybe taking a break here and there but it's not as hard restarting as the first few words are.

Am I alone? Is there some kind of psychology behind this? Anyway to make it easier?
Based on this, the distraction seems to be the internet. My first step, in this case, would be to disconnect when it's time to write. I would turn off my router/phone/tablet and anything else that could access the internet. Then I'd open my document and either stare at it or write. :)

Or have you tried this and simply found a different means to procrastinate when the internet isn't available?

All the best,
Riv

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Or, if the Internet is the problem, try writing with a pencil and a journal. It keeps me away from distractions, and I always get a higher word count that way.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I like the SelfControl app, which I get a lot of traction out of (and is going on as soon as I type this).

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I find that the way I start my day will set the pace for the rest of it. If I get up and start writing right away, then I can look at the internet later on, but my mind is already engaged, so I don't shut down. If I start browsing first thing in the morning, then it's really difficult to get into work.

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm really struggling, I use a timer. Something about seeing the seconds go by in the menu bar usually forces me to work.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You're not alone at all. I start each day in pencil and don't move across to the computer until the speed has picked up a bit. It seems to help. I tell myself it helps a bit, anyway. (Also, if you have chickens, go out and look at the chickens. It won't help you write, but chickens are lovely things.)

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score

That's me, too, though I can't say I'm as productive as you. Sometimes, the 20-50 are all I get. I just assumed that it was because I was assembling the mental troops, and getting organized. Editing what I'd written the session before has helped my focus a bit.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

The hardest part of the whole thing are the first 20-50 words.

Sounds normal. Although maybe you can cut your procrastination time down disabling your internet and putting your phone in another room.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Based on this, the distraction seems to be the internet. My first step, in this case, would be to disconnect when it's time to write. I would turn off my router/phone/tablet and anything else that could access the internet. Then I'd open my document and either stare at it or write.

Echo this. Beyond which my recommendation would be to just rip off a bunch of stream-of-consciousness crap for a couple hundred words or so. You might come up with a diamond or two hidden in the manure, but even if not, you'll have moved off being stuck, methinks.

caw

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I relate to this.

As others have said, limiting your internet access might stop the procrastination, though it is always possible you might investigate other distractions.

When I have difficulties in putting words on the page, I write notes for my scene, including lines of dialogue , what my characters are thinking and feeling etc. This may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
I poke around and make up silly excuses before I actually start writing as well. When I do get a little bit down though it starts to flow better. I've just come to accept it though. It's just part of my writing process I guess. I keep a tab open with my writing on it and look at it a ton before actually writing, but I think that helps me with thinking about what I actually should write.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
When I find myself procrastinating, I sing to myself "pro-cras-ti-na-tion" to the tune of Rod Stewart's "Infatuation". It doesn't actually help get me going, but it makes me a little less frustrated :)

Anyway to make it easier?

No. Granted, the advice here will help, but if it wasn't hard to get motivated, everyone would be doing this. The fact that you are pushing through the hard part is what will make it special when you succeed. Most people don't push past it.

Now I'll add to everyone's advice :) I finally realized a few months ago that staring at my ms on the computer screen is not conducive for creativity. When I know I'm stuck, I'll sit down with a pen and paper and just brainstorm, jotting down ideas and key phrases as I go. After a little bit of that, I usually get inspired and go running to the keyboard to start banging away.

It was a breakthrough, really, and I felt stupid when I realized it. I mean, two years ago I had basically never written anything in my life. As I read my WIP now, I can look at certain moments and pinpoint exactly where I was when I came up with the idea. For one thing, maybe it was that one day I was out for a walk. Another was that one time when I was driving (btw that's not a recommendation to daydream while driving). And yes, a lot of ideas happened in the shower. :eek: And it was those organic moments that finally inspired me to start writing. Now for some reason, I expect to force myself to come up with ideas while I'm staring at Microsoft Word. No.

Shut off the computer and go brainstorm. :Coffee:

Last edited:

Ztwist

Registered
Reaction score
How about when you are wrapping up for the day after your fabulous 1000-word streak, you leave some very concrete advice on the page for the next day. It could just be notes saying what happens next so you can just warm up by finishing the prompt you left yourself.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
This may not work for you, but I start with scenes that I find fun, or motivating. I write as many fun scenes as I can, then start trying to write "around" them (leading up to, or following on from) and go from there. Then usually dip back to write some of the less-fun stuff.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what enthusiasm you have for what you've already written in the story if your first urge is to wander around the internet.

Nothing wrong with choosing to surf before writing but it can be used as an excuse for not doing any writing.

But if you're writing for fun there's no issue here.

Thinking about how to start is perfectly normal.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
How about when you are wrapping up for the day after your fabulous 1000-word streak, you leave some very concrete advice on the page for the next day. It could just be notes saying what happens next so you can just warm up by finishing the prompt you left yourself.

That's a good idea. It seems like it would be easier to get started if you know you aren't starting cold.

I think I'll try that :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'm also one of those writers who find it hard to sit down to write. Has nothing to do with enthusiasm for the project and everything to do with the procrastination gene running very strong in my family.
A couple of tricks I use to get myself to start writing when I'm faced with the page first thing in the morning/writing session:

• I will have left off in the middle of a sentence the day/session before.
  • I set a timer for five minutes and promise myself that I will write anything for those five minutes. I let them be my throat clearing minutes. After that, I'm limbered up and can transition smoothly.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
  • I set a timer for five minutes and promise myself that I will write anything for those five minutes. I let them be my throat clearing minutes. After that, I'm limbered up and can transition smoothly.

It's amazing what a little limbering up can do.

Starting to write each day (or after a longer absence) can feel a little like nerving yourself to jump into cold water. A few of us can manage that first chilly plunge, but the rest of us need to get our toes wet first, then our feet, then a slow wade in, and suddenly the water's not cold any more, and we find ourselves far from shore and swimming.

Gateway

You Are My Density
Registered
Reaction score

Rewrite yesterday's last sequence/scene to get going again.

Or yesterday, leave the last scene for today. Leave today's last scene for tomorrow.

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
OK for me right now, it would be "avoid checking AW" and just write. Distractions abound, and once you get a prompt here that lets you move forward, seize it and write. Trying that out, now.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I face the same problem, but not when I start, but when I'm about to finish. I'm in my 15th page of my 20 daily pages (I write by hand) and I just don't know what else to write, and I'm like "Ummm..." and it's like being constipated. Then I finish and let out a sigh of relief.