Hello Water Cooler!

JoeyRes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Joey. I always have to say it's Joey like the boy's name when I introduce myself because I am a girl. I tried for a brief period in the 90s to say Joey like the baby kangaroo, but no one knew that baby kangaroos are called Joeys.

Also, to answer the usual questions: it's not short for anything and my parents would have named me Michael if I was a boy.

Sigh.

Because of this lifelong "thing" with my name, I've taken to giving my female protagonists boys' names. The work in progress is about a woman named Andy.

A little over a week ago, I shut down my Twitter account and went on a media blackout. The 24-hour news cycle just wasn't making me a happy person. I'm hopeful to find some friendly Internet friends (those do exist, right?) to converse with in the downtime when I'm not being actively productive. I just can't write about Andy all of the time. Lately, I write about her for about 15 minutes per week. So maybe I'll find some motivating threads here too.

It's very nice to meet you!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Joey! It's nice to meet you, too.

We're (mostly*) a friendly bunch here, so it should be easy to make friends.

*I'm about the crankiest one here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi, Joey, it’s nice to meet you, too!

Welcome to AW!

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Joey! I'm pretty new, too, and it's been a great experience for me so far. Hope it is for you, as well.

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joey,

Hope you find some motivation through some of the threads here or through people. Did you ever go by Joey Lynn? I know a fair amount of people who have Lynn as their middle name and just sort of combine it with their first name.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work, hope you find friends too!

JoeyRes

Registered
Reaction score
I include Lynn 100% of the time when giving my full name and still get addressed as Mr. by my daughter’s school and others that I really think should know better. I suppose I could make it one word like Joeylynn, but I never thought of that until just now and I think it’s too late to make that kind of change.

I think a large percentage of women born 35-40 years ago have the middle name Lynn.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for the kind welcome everyone!