A more fitting word for 'war chief'

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Hey guys! I'm asking for help once again ^^; Maybe it's my crazy brain, maybe it's the hour, or maybe I just don't have a wide enough vocabulary, but I cannot think of a better term than 'general' or 'war chief' for the leader of the army in my fictional setting. In this case it's a woman, but this is a position passed down through a familial line. Doesn't matter if it's man or woman, just as long as it's this line. I'm trying to stay away from made up words as much as possible (and the ones I do make up I'm trying to keep to 3 syllables at absolute most). This position is essentially the leader of the entirety of the army and is overarching head (though not directly in control of) the capitol city's police force (called peacekeepers). The familial name is "Canthet."

Any suggestions? I really can't think of anything.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the war chief is always a member of this particular family, would it make sense for the title to be the family name; i.e. The Canthet? Which is a really cool name, by the way.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I get the sense this is hereditary nobility . . . So, how about Lord Protector (or Lady Protector)?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
+1-ing Waylander's suggestion, Marshal sounds the best to me, though I suppose it depends on the culture you're trying to evoke. High Constable would work too. Or Despot.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! In this culture each child born is given a destiny of sorts, or a job. So in the Canthet line the first born is the leader of the army, second born becomes the Emperor's (or Empress's) personal spy and assassin, third (if they have that many) is given to the priesthood, etc, etc.

Shogun would be proper, I think, if this were taking place where such a word existed. Probably Warlord or Lord Protector. Thanks again for the help!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm late, but this may help the OP....

A "captain" is a chief. Azog, from LOTR, was an orc chieftan. Take some time looking at modern military regimes and how they are set up too. For example, in the U.S. military, a corporal was designed to lead a company. If you recall from LOTR, a company would be one square of orc soldiers in the aerial shot of seeing the entire army. Commissioned vs. Non-Commissioned ranks might help, if you are going for an epic war.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Nooo! Don't use Shogun, unless you're writing specifically in Japanese culture. It would be as jarring as a "Quarterback" in a nice game of cricket.

There are plenty of words they that sound legit and slightly self-servingly patronising like a proper baddie name: Intercedant, Promissary, Mediator, Adjudicator, Conciliator. Same way a cop is called a "peacekeeper"

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Nooo! Don't use Shogun, unless you're writing specifically in Japanese culture. It would be as jarring as a "Quarterback" in a nice game of cricket.

There are plenty of words they that sound legit and slightly self-servingly patronising like a proper baddie name: Intercedant, Promissary, Mediator, Adjudicator, Conciliator. Same way a cop is called a "peacekeeper"
I was going to suggest a calque of 'shogun', but I looked up the characters and they literally mean just "general [of the] army", which isn't very exciting. I'm a fan of borrowing words if they represent a distinct concept without an English equivalent. I've used 'zaibatsu' in my WIP, not in a Japanese cultural context. I considered 'chaebol', but I don't think that's as widely known a word (though their origin is the same). I can see how 'shogun' could be jarring in a non-Japanese context, but then I've read books with grand viziers in non-Arab settings as well.

Lehssner

Registered
Reaction score
Adjunct? I've seen it used primarily in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen but remember thinking it was a pretty good title.

Cal_Darin

There's always another secret!
Registered
Reaction score
Not to hop onto this thread super late as well, but here's what I do when I can't find a word that fits right. I make something up and call it "a title in the old tongue that roughly translates to war-chief in modern terms", but since it's an old word it can have more nuance than that. Like, the title once meant war-chief, but it has come to encompass the overall protector

Plus you get to do a bit of subtle word building, as people often associate the phonetics of a word with the culture it comes from (be it true or not)...

Barring that, IronMike might be onto something with "Lord Protector"