Relationship Question

dragoncat

Registered
Reaction score
Thomas and Lucy are siblings. What is the relationship between Lucy and Thomas' great-grandson Adam? Due to Lucy being cryogenically frozen she and Adam are the same age and I'm trying to figure out what to call their relationship.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Thomas's son would be Lucy's nephew.
Thomas's grandson would be Lucy's grandnephew.
Thomas's great-grandson (Adam) would be Lucy's great-grandnephew. (That's what ancestral tree templates are telling me, fwiw.)

ETA: Since siblings are at the same generational level, Lucy would be Adam's great-grandaunt. You know, if Lucy's status is the direction you're going.

ETAA: Was wondering, then, why we say great-aunt or great-uncle 'cause, yanno, I'm easily confused. Found this: Aunts and Uncles: Grand, Not Great.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Grand aunt etc - never heard that - it's logical, just never heard of it. Always been great aunt and great uncle as far as I am concerned (here in UK). Further back than that I'd say my great-grandmother's sister rather than any form of aunt because it would do my head in. But then I tend to avoid the great-great nomenclature because I lose count once I am past great-grandmother I use my grandmother's grandfather or grandmother - which is in any case more informative. Personal quirk.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Grand aunt etc - never heard that - it's logical, just never heard of it. Always been great aunt and great uncle as far as I am concerned (here in UK).

US too. I'd use great great because that's what I hear when I hear it at all. My guess is they'd shorten it anyway because no kid wants the fuss of saying all of that. She's his GGA and he's her GGN. Just cooler that way.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the reason we don't hear more of the defining terms is that it so seldom comes up in real life. That far back, that relationship loses most of it's relevance, unlike actual generations of parents.
Depending on what your characters are like, one or the other might well call the other by the full title just to tease.

Last edited:

Unpolished

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on culture. I grew up on the southern border of the US. Hispanics(or at least those Hispanics) don't mess with all the complicated relationships. They have parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings, maybe grandchildren. Everyone else is a cousin.

Lucy and Adam are cousins.