Kinda new, but can't find where to ask...

JennyA

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I joined a little while ago and drop in every once in a while when I'm searching for something specific.

This is my first post. I have searched many threads and can't find the answer to my question this time around and hope someone can direct me to the right area. I've written a YA novel, queried it for awhile to no avail. Took a break to work on another book, then months later, I heard back from an agent requesting the full.

I replied and sent my whole manuscript to her a month ago (the email goes to agency query email address). I didn't receive confirmation it was received (which automatically came from that agency with the query letter), so I had been worried that maybe my manuscript was diverted to junk mail. But I also know agents are busy, so I wanted to give it some time before I pestered the agency.

Over a month has gone by. Then the other night, the agent sent me an email. My first thought was I was getting a rejection. But her email says thanks for sending the manuscript, that she's looking forward to reading it, and she gave her direct email address saying, "let's be in touch there going forward."

Do I reply to this? Would it be rude not to? I'm worried about doing anything (or NOT doing something) in case it puts her off. This was my first request for a full by the agent I had at the top of my list. I don't want to ruin anything by not knowing the proper etiquette for when/how/if to reply to an agent.

Any help? Is there a thread with all the dos and dont's for communicating with an agent that would include my situation above?

Thank for any advice you can offer.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Replying with a, “Thank you”, and a few additional words, seems relatively normal.

My main advice, honestly, is not to get too worked up about this. Be as professional as you would in any other potential business interaction, and you should be fine.

Definitely giving a short response should be okay. It’ll probably pop up on their phone or smartwatch, they’ll read it quickly, and go on about their day.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to guide you a bit, Jenny, we have a board in the Publishing category of the forum titled Ask the Agent. Working literary agents come by to address our questions at times, and your fellow writers who've had experiences like yours can also chime in.

I think you got a good solid answer already.

JennyA

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I left a quick reply like you mentioned. I should have done that yesterday, but was overthinking things. Thank you for the advice :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Ask The Agent

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think what I would do is email the new email address with something like:

Hey Agent!

Emailing you back at this address now per request!

So glad you got the manuscript and I hope you enjoy reading it!

best,
Author Person

The new email address gives you a reason to get in touch, but you want to just make sure you aren't overstepping either. I think this gives you the perfect way to say "Awesome, glad you got it!" and also make sure you two are now communicating on her personal email which helps keep your messages away from the overflowing general inbox.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like it's passed the first round at the agency.

Some agents don't actually read slush, so full requests are occasionally signed by the assistant.

If the assistant thinks the MS is worth the read, it will go into the agent's inbox and the communication will go on from there.

My last 2 agents had assistants either pre-vetting or being on hand to make the final decision.