words of wisdom for trying times

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"—a Sikh greeting)

I noticed the thread about coping and decided to start athread with words of wisdom for trying times. Feel free to add to it.

First, understand that all things change. This too shallpass. Put things in perspective and look at the long run. The Berlin Wall isdown. Apartheid is over in South Africa. We have had a black president. Womencan and do vote. Blacks can and do vote. Some "extinct" species have beensighted. This does not mean that things can't be better or that we shouldn't workfor them to be better. It is a reminder not to despair. Things have been worse.They can get better. It may take a while, but so can publishing.

Second, if we do despair, we end the good we could do rightthere. If we despair, we also let evil trump good. Don't go there.

Don't cave into hatred either. I cringe whenever I seeprogressive people say they'll "never forgive" whoever voted forthis, that or the other. A refusal to forgive is another form of hatred, and ifyou cave into hatred, you increase the hatred in the world. If you want to endhate crimes, don't go there either. Do you really WANT to be like people youdespise?

And while we're at it, let's not harass people in the name ofstopping harassment. That one backfired, as you may have noticed.

Does any of this mean that we can't take a stand? Of coursenot. But take your stand with dignity and grace and decency towards all peopleand creatures.

Grace and dignity include avoiding jeering and baiting. As athinking and praying being, I came close to permaflouncing off this site fromall the people using "thoughts and prayers" as something like a swearword. I chose not to do that, but itdidn't entice me any further to the left than I already am. Do you really wantto destroy the good you can do by using words in a destructive way?

As for things that have helped me, there's yoga that balancesmy body and meditation that balances my mind. There's deep breathing. Inhale slowlyand let your belly expand; exhale slowly and bring it back in. There's serviceof all types and giving of all types. And yes, there's gratitude for the goodthat's always there if we look for it.

Feel free to add to this.

Blessings,
Siri Kirpal

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My addition would be Don't become the thing that you hate.

As for "thoughts and prayers" used like a swear word: The phrase is used cynically by politicians who intend to do nothing for their constituents dealing with disaster. Mocking it is a way to let the politicians know that blurting a couple of nice-sounding words while sitting on their hands is unacceptable. But I completely understand how the phrase used cynically from by those who refuse to help, or mockingly by those who want to shame them into doing more, could be hurtful to people like you who mean it in earnest.

This is a great idea for a thread here. I hope it keeps going.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay to block or otherwise disconnect from people you know, including family members, whose every post or utterance makes your blood boil.

It's also okay to seek out people and posts that make you feel good about the world. If you smile at fat puppy tummies or old people holding hands, find more.