Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
I just randomly stumbled across a short list of these "tests" on Pinterest that had two I hadn't heard of before, but make sense:

The Anti-Freeze: No woman assaulted, injured, or killed to further the story of another character (for the curious, it's called Anti-freeze because the act of harming or killing women to push someone to act is called "fridging" after Green Lantern's girlfriend, who was murdered and shoved into his refrigerator for him to find)

The "Strength is Relative": Complex women defined by solid characterization rather than a handful of underdeveloped, masculine-coded stereotypes.
I actually find these more relevant to storytelling quality. While interesting, the Bechdel test is way too stringent to deliberately achieve, because it requires an entire scene, or sub scene. It is narratively uneconomical unless two characters are women and need to have a separate scene. My novel actually passes, when a little old lady calls 911 about a truck-led invasion column, and speaks to a female operator (!).: Completely random... (Although I realize now the sex of the operator is never stated: In my mind she was, trust me)

Other than that, the only major female character is a sub-terranean "General" going along -unenthusiastically- with the likely extinction of Mankind... She completely overshadows all the male characters combined, and gets a good 20% of her very own first person narration, so thanks to her I guess I pass all the tests!

Gaston