I thought I would try to contribute some materials to this discussion. I suppose I should provide a more substantive contribution, but I'm feeling lazy. Sorry

Robot Hugs Webcomic about how too many movies write women: http://www.robot-hugs.com/pitch/

In terms of recent movies, I think Black Panther was just as amazing for its female characters, as it was for its Afrofuturism. Merely the act of having more than one female character felt oddly revolutionary. By doing so, the characters were able to be so much more interesting than the stereotypical Strong Female Character, because the movie didn't just have this one woman character who has to represent all women everywhere. So we get Nakia who wants to open Wakanda to the outside world and has no problem talking smack to T'Challa, Okoye, the faithful general who wants Wakanda to stay closed to the outside world, Ramonda the maternal figure, and Shuri, who is freaking adorable and is the smartest person in the MCU according to those involved in it. The smartest person in the MCU isn't Tony or Bruce; it's a sixteen-year-old black girl.

Though to add to all the stuff about Fridging and Sexy Lamps, there's another pernicious trope afflicted on female characters.

Amy from Gone Girl defines the trope:

Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.
And it's totally okay if you want to have a female character who likes cheap beer and hot dogs. The problem is with the Cool Girl trope is the same that afflicts the Manic Pixie Dream Girl: both feels like a creation from a male fantasy, rather than an actual character with any kind of inner life, hopes and dreams whatsoever.