So, I wanted to begin by saying ...

Marlowe Edison

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I greet everyone with a 'hi' whether it's first thing in the morning and I'm going to work or it's afternoon, I've just arrived home, checked my letter box and noticed my neighbour is out watering. I've never been a 'good morning' or 'good afternoon' person. I thought I'd put that out there; a way of saying I'm fairly informal.

At this moment, I'm a wannabe writer. It's been a dream. It's been a hope. It's been my exit plan out of the classroom. Having watched yet another graduation ceremony, accompanied by the same wistful tug somewhere in the pit of my stomach I sincerely think it is time for me to leave school finally. Up until this point in time it has been the hope that I could become a great writer that has kept me going from one day to the next.

I realised recently it is also this 'hope' that has been preventing me from taking the next step. What if I act and nothing comes of it? What if it's just a another dream that didn't pan out? What if I'm no good? Isn't it better just to hang onto the hope and never put it out there?

I don't know how it happened but in recent weeks I came up with a plan, found my resolve and now I'm putting it out there. Even just this afternoon I've signed up for do-it-yourself book PR and marketing.

Anyway, the point of this was to say 'hi'.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Good luck on your writing objectives, and welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Good to meet you, Marlowe!! :welcome: What's your chosen genre to write? :)

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Marlowe! What a great introduction.
Worst case scenario:
- you develop your English and communication skills
- develop your imagination which will help you see outside the box and learn to solve problems in new and creative ways
- build up your strength and grit and determination to get things done.
- help you stand strong in the face of opposition and keep going. You can't help but develop a thick skin in this industry
- have a damn good time doing it.
On the other hand, what if you succeed spectacularly? what if you get a book deal? What if you get to leave something behind for generations to enjoy?
Sounds like a win either way :)

Last edited:

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Marlowe.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, what if I write something and nothing comes of it? I'm going to write it anyways.

Listening to famous authors many of them wrote four or a dozen books before they had one that was good enough to get published. Brandon Sanderson is such an author.

I think I'll go that far, if it doesn't work out by then I'll quit and try something else. But even then writing skill is useful in many other artistic things, YouTube videos for one so it will never be wasted time.

Last edited:

Marlowe Edison

Registered
Reaction score
I like reading books with a little romance, a little mystery/suspense, sometimes with a technology flavour so that's where I am now heading with my writing.

Marlowe Edison

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. All good reasons to continue playing with words. If I had to identify a weakness it's definitely running at the first sign of adversity. This will strengthen my ability to accept rejection and plan new ways to meet my goals.

Thanks

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
You are not alone. Many of us suffer from similar fears. As the saying goes "ain't nuthin to it but to do it." I keep having to remind myself that this is a dream I can't stop myself from wanting so I have to power through the rough stretches.

Marlowe Edison

Registered
Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder when and how my dreaming became something more. As I said in the first post 'hope' was driving me but also keeping me in a holding pattern of writing, revising and more writing without ever taking it further.

In recent times somehow, somewhere, while I was reading about the efforts of others, I formulated a plan. Part of this plan is to self-publish and out-source where needed. I've just hired someone to do the cover. I have given earlier versions to friends to critique. I've since learned this is not the best idea so I've updated the plan and given copies to non-friends to critique as well.

I've just finished another revision of my work and sent it to an editor. All because I happened across the term 'ARC' which seems to be something I really need to know about as an indie author.

At some stage I'll remember I have a day job. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
G'day :) I love that you still check your letter-box