Facebook messenger malware.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got an email alerting me that my cousin has a FB message for me. I never use messenger but I thought, oh shit, did someone die? So I open messenger reluctantly suspicious that it was really some FB nonsense getting me to sign-in in order to see my cousin had posted another picture of the thermometer showing 100F in Redding.

But nope, it was a message that didn't use my name and claimed someone has asked to friend him, my cousin, using my name and I should do XYZ and forward the message or something like that. I've already deleted it.

So instead of doing what the message instructed I opened his FB page and there was another one of his friends that asked him what was up, pasting a screenshot of the same message.

Turns out his FB messenger page was hacked or something and the malware sent that message to everyone on his friend's list. He said he had to shut FB messenger down.

Since then two of his friends posted the same thing about the spam-ware and FB is messaging me with the usual [person b] also commented on [person A's] post.

Thought some of you might want to know in case you get the same message.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, MaeZe. Will keep an eye out.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just got one of those, myself; didn't open the message. Going to run Malware Bytes just in case it did anything anyway. (TBH, I want to deactivate Messenger altogether - I never use it, and don't want it, but there seems to be no option other than to ignore the little indicator saying I have a message.)

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's yet another hoax, according to this and several other sources. About a dozen of my FB friends, who should know better, received that message, freaked out, and did exactly what the hoaxers wanted - they forwarded it to everyone on their friends list.

I got that message first from my elderly Aunt, who tends to fall for every single such hoax that happens on FB. The first thing I did after reading her message was to search to see if there actually is an account posing as me (with name and photo.)

Nope, no such account exists.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I got it and then did the FB security check. Turns out someone in NYC accessed my FB account a few days ago. I haven't been in NYC in 5+ years. So while the messenger chain mail was fake, someone had been into my account. I changed the appropriate things.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My father-in-law's FB was one of the ones hacked during that data breach -- right when he's on a cruise. :-/