Punctuation and format for written communication/dialogue

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who writes some of their dialogue as they are unable to talk at various points of the story and I'm wondering how would be best to format it and if there is an accepted punctuation for this type of dialogue? I wasn't sure whether to use quotation marks or not or italics...or something else?

A few examples from my WIP:

“You want me to leave you to sleep?”
She opened her eyes again and reached for her board and pen. She squinted at it, pointed to the word NO and wrote talk pls.

The nurse saw her frown too. “You want to see them?”
"No," she rasped and grimaced as talking hurt her throat. She knew that meant she needed to rest her voice again. maybe later she wrote on the board, took off her glasses and closed her eyes.

"What’s wrong?" he asked.
She grabbed the pad of paper. NO CLOTHES she scribbled on it and sighed as she held it up to show him.

TIA

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use capitals if you wish. Or italics. Presumably the written comments are brief, concise, and not lengthy.

Whatever you use, being consistent would help clarity.

You've not been consistent above re the 'talk pls'.

Good luck.

Last edited:

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
Yes the written stuff is as brief as possible and she uses some text speak as she's got hand injuries too so writing is hard for her.

The capitalised NO is a printed word on the board she's using not something she's written. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes the written stuff is as brief as possible and she uses some text speak as she's got hand injuries too so writing is hard for her.

The capitalised NO is a printed word on the board she's using not something she's written. Sorry that wasn't clear.

That was clear.

I was referring to the 'talk pls'.

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score
All caps could get annoying depending on how much there is. It's really a style choice, though, and quotes would be fine with me personally as long as you establish first you are quoting her written word. Other ideas: small caps ala Death in Discworld; a different font; something custom -txt please- and -no clothes-.

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm wanting to set her writing out as separate from speech so really want something different to quotes. It seems to flow to fast otherwise which seems wrong to me as it wouldn't in reality.

Italics I'm already using for thoughts so I guess that would get too confusing for the reader?

I like the idea of a different font..but am slightly worried I could end up with a confusing mix of them as I'm also trying to figure out best to format articles that appear at various points as well as text messaging. Oh, the joy of having my setting in the modern era and involving a media and social media story arc!

All caps could get annoying depending on how much there is. It's really a style choice, though, and quotes would be fine with me personally as long as you establish first you are quoting her written word. Other ideas: small caps ala Death in Discworld; a different font; something custom -txt please- and -no clothes-.
Thanks for the thoughts re all caps. I wasn't liking it myself. It was an experiment to indicate her annoyance, but I'm not sure it comes across very well so will be changing that.

Small caps and something custom shall be played with. Lots to mull over and experiment with Scrivener compiles :Thumbs:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, you've lost me now. What wasn't clear?

The 'maybe later' is also not standing out because it's not italicised or in quotes and is just part of the nomal text.

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
The 'maybe later' is also not standing out because it's not italicised or in quotes and is just part of the nomal text.
Yeah that was the point of this post to try and decide how to make it stand out ;)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wanting to set her writing out as separate from speech so really want something different to quotes.

Italics I'm already using for thoughts so I guess that would get too confusing for the reader?

Unless you plan to self-publish and can dictate to the printer, or you're Stephen King who can be sure publishers will comply with any printing anomaly, you're wise to rethink using different fonts.

You're also smart to separate non-verbals (thoughts, texts, signs, notes, etc.) from speech your readers can "hear." Usually italics are best, but when depicting signs or handwriting in upper case, ALL CAPITALS work well, too.

Don't think of italics as only for thoughts. Think of them as non-verbals opposite from spoken words within quotes.

Different uses for italics shouldn't cause a problem for readers as italics are also used for titles of books, names of ships and bridges, foreign words and phrases, words needing emphasis, and so on.

Last edited:

starsknight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to second Chase on italics. I'm pretty sure that's the device I see used most often to indicate text. I've seen it used in books which also use italics for thoughts, and I've never had any problem differentiating between the two.

That also gives you the freedom to capitalize as your character does; as a reader, I get a different vibe from "She squinted at it, pointed to the word NO and wrote talk pls" than from "She squinted at it, pointed to the word NO and wrote TALK PLS." You get more of a range, so that when she does use all caps or unusual capitalization, it's obvious.

Finally (assuming you're planning on publishing), the best choice may vary based on your plans. If you plan to self-publish an e-book, just use whatever you want for now (so long as it's consistent), and when you get to the point of hiring a designer, that person will be able to work with you to find something you both like, whether that's a different font, italics, small caps, whatever. If you plan to publish traditionally, I'd recommend sticking to italics to keep it simple for the agent reading your work.

Last edited: