Fancy Grammar/Syntax Strategies

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to improve my style of writing and have more things in my toolkit.

Can anyone point out some cool things you can do with punctuation, grammar and syntax? You can provide examples from your own work-- as that would make it engaging for both of us! :)

I'm here to learn! :D

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Oh lord... it's such a broad topic. :) One of the most useful syntax tactics I know comes down to mataphors, and how to create them. This comes from Mick Short, and one of his studies on how word choice can make a world of difference when it comes to imagery and engaging the reader:

Shakespeare's a master at metaphor: We burn daylight. And he does the most simplist of things to create them. Instead of saying what readers know can burn: we burn paper, he exchanges one word : daylight (to time), to create the whole concept of burning the day away. Technically it's known as taking a normal paradigm: we burn paper, and making it... an abnormal paradigm: we burn time.

It's simple in construction, but brilliant in how it shows the power of word choice..

This helps me on the whole because even when I'm not working on a metaphor, it makes me look at what imagery I'm creating and how a reader could process it. On the whole, it just shows how less can work so much better than... more. If you can hit hard with one, two, three words, why go for four five, six, seven.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Can anyone point out some cool things you can do with punctuation, grammar and syntax? You can provide examples from your own work-- as that would make it engaging for both of us! :)

I'm here to learn! :D

Read up on rhetorical devices. Goodreads has their list of the top ten books on rhetorical devices, which include The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth. That one is a pretty entertaining, as well as informative, read. You can also do a web search for lists of rhetorical devices. There are dozens just devoted to various ways to use repetition.

You probably already use some rhetorical devices without realizing it, but studying them will open up new possibilities to play with.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
You asked for examples.

These are from my WIP.

He pushed open the latticed window, the bird held quivering and impatient in his hands. A hesitation for something resembling a prayer, a slow release of breath, and he cast his messenger and his fate into the wind. In a flash the sea silver was swooping past the low cliffs, was a brief flicker over the sea, was part of the storm-tossed swell, was gone.

There are two devices in this one. The first device is known as either zeugma or syllepsis, depending on which authority you consult. It's a figure of speech where one word, usually a verb, is used in two different senses, one literal and the other not. In the example above, that would be "he cast his messenger and his fate into the wind."

The second device is anaphora--the (deliberate, for effect) repetition of the same word or group of words at the beginning of successive sentences or clauses. In this case, it's the repetition of "was" in the final sentence.

Another example:
Ferociously envious of Willem getting to deliver those thirty lashes, Darric made his way to his own bed and blessed oblivion.

#

Blessed oblivion lasted all too brief a time before he was awake and sitting bolt upright. His sleep had been black and dreamless, but part of his brain had remained busy in some unnoticed corner, piecing together disconnected bits of information like a child stringing beads on a necklace and then rudely dragging him out of his slumber to show off its progress. The result was disturbing enough to propel him out of bed and back into his clothes, cursing under his breath.

Repeating a word or phrase (in this case, "blessed oblivion") at the end of one sentence and the beginning of the next is known as epanalepsis. There is also an extended metaphor (his subconscious as a child stringing beads and then showing them off) and a touch of personification (giving his brain human characteristics).

Here's one that I don't know the name for (or if there is one), but it involves putting the modifying adjective after the noun instead of before:

He dreamed that his mind was a matrix of crystals grown within his skull. Each diamond-clear structure held a memory, his whole life reflected in moments bright and moments dark.

And the repetition of "moments" is, like above, anaphora.

I found another longish passage (about 400 words), describing a powerful, emotional moment of revelation, that contains several forms of rhetorical repetition, but that's probably overkill to post here unless you think it would be helpful.

I never plan these things when I'm writing, but I'm now more aware of them--what they are, what effect they create--after the fact.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very effective and helpful illustrations, Beth, very.

Oh, to be able to look at what I just wrote and realise it's anaphora instead of just another effin' mess. :Hug2:

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Very effective and helpful illustrations, Beth, very.

Oh, to be able to look at what I just wrote and realise it's anaphora instead of just another effin' mess. :Hug2:

Yet now I'm having second thoughts about anaphora being the proper term for the way I used "moments" in that sentence. :greenie

A writer doesn't have to know the terms (and I have to look up a lot of them myself.) A writer only needs to know that these devices exist and are common throughout literature and can be used to make their prose more effective, evocative, and euphonius.

And just for fun, what three devices did I use that ^^^ paragraph?

Last edited:

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score

I am not sure what you are after. I tried to collect all of the new things people were doing, and that turned into a book on new punctuation and grammar. Can I link to it? I don't want to break any rules. A search for my name and grammar should find it. (Then there is another book on a different style of grammar).

So that's probably more information that anyone would ever want, but there's a lot of exciting things. A lot.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beth's posts clarify what is being sought.

There are many perfectly acceptable and extremely effective ways of expressing oneself when writing. Many of the rhetorical devices, similar to those quoted by Beth, might at first glance cause a beginner to hesitate (or wrongly critique their use) because some of them don't seem to conform to supposed 'rules', but they are perfectly valid.

To me at least, they are best and at their most effective when produced in the normal flow of writing as opposed to one deliberately searching for ways to include them.

Reading good writing creates an osmosis effect.

Google 'rhetorical devices.'

I am not sure what you are after. I tried to collect all of the new things people were doing, and that turned into a book on new punctuation and grammar. Can I link to it? I don't want to break any rules. A search for my name and grammar should find it. (Then there is another book on a different style of grammar).

So that's probably more information that anyone would ever want, but there's a lot of exciting things. A lot.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Read a lot. Learn to look at what you're reading. Read all sorts of things—including poetry.

I'd suggest getting a copy of Richard Lanham's A Handlist of Rhetorical Terms, which is a sort of dictionary with lots of examples (it's actually rather fun to read), and reading his Analysing Prose, which shows you how to look at text and what it's doing, and how it does it.

I was Lanham's R.A. so I'm biased, but they are helpful, and I know they work.