Quote Originally Posted by Gaston View Post

It seems to me the problem is in part unavoidable: If a big word is at the end of the first line of any paragraph, and it gets shoved to the next line, then there is no adjustment possible by drawing in from a previous line. This why the first line of a paragraph is often "airy"...
This problem is solved by turning on the hyphenation. If you choose to stick with Word, turn on hyphenation. Before publishing, review every single hyphenated word to make sure that you can tolerate the word being hyphenated (it's not recommended for proper nouns, etc.)

Whatever you do, do not attempt to self-hyphenate by sticking en dashes in. Any additional editing and formatting will push these words away from the line break and stick you with a lot of le-mons. I've seen this in ebooks where the author forced hyphenation for the text version, resulting in randomly hyphenated, non-breaking words peppering the text.

In Word, if your section break falls directly at the end of a paragraph, there will often be huge gaps between the words in the last line. The simple fix is another paragraph mark at the end, so the section break stands alone and doesn't screw things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Words occasionally are hyphened.

Trade publications do infrequently have orphans/widows. But only very infrequently. Unless every word in the sentence is monstrously long, there should usually be some room for shuffling.
Thank you! I read this whole thread wondering when someone was finally going to bring up what seems to be the screamingly obvious issue. lol