PBS: The Great American Read

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ashamed to admit I have never heard of this American PBS show. (I don't have a TV).

It's about books; more specifically, about American's favorite novel(s). You read about The Great American Read here. It's an eight-episode show that started in March of 2017. It's almost over.

They ran a survey and then used a panel to select 100 books.

They're asking people to vote for their favorite novel from a list.

I thought the list was interesting. It's not particularly American, but there are a lot of good books.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I placed about 8 or so votes. I've read less than half of the books. I feel so philistine!

I liked how this was a mixture of recent blockbusters and not only 100-year old high school reading list stuff.

It was hard to not vote for Twain or Vonnegut as writers, but Tom Sawyer is no Huck Finn, and Sirens of Titan is not nearly as good as Mother Night, Cat's Cradle or Deadeye Dick. I stuck to the titles, although I loved the writer. I also passed on some books because although they were great, they weren't my favorite. The voting has to mean something.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the list, interesting stuff. I like having lists to work through as this increases the amount that I read. I'll try to add this list to my other ones, besides some that I will simply not read (Twilight, Dean Koontz) to add flavor to my reading mix.

Good topic! :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried it last night. The book selections were fine but I was disappointed they had a couple brief comments then moved on to another pair of books. It was too superficial.

I may give it a second try but I found it short of what I would have preferred.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I take it all back, I'm a convert.

I apparently watched the wrong episode first. Last night I watched the episode on "other worlds" and came away with a completely different opinion.

Tonight I'm watching the results of the top 100. It's fantastic.

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the final last night. It felt so invigorating to be surrounded by those who love reading and are so enthusiastic for the stories. Near the end, I was actually choking up. I've read many on the list but I want to get a printout of the top 100 in order and start a quest to read as many as I can. Way to go, PBS!