Any recommendations for audiobooks?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot I had an Audible account! I built up 7 credits without realizing it. I'm canceling my membership but before I do I want to use those credits. I'm definitely going to get a few Robin Hobb books. Hell, I could get two entire trilogies if I wanted. Any other suggestions I should check out? Feel free to recommend yourself if you have audiobooks. :D

LesFewer

Registered
Reaction score
Robin Hobb eh?

I assume you've listened to the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson and the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss?

And here's one from left field, Blood Meridian by Cormack McCarthy. It's sort of a horror, western. McCarthy is one of the best writers around today is why I recommend it.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Stephen King's IT read by Steven Weber and it was phenomenal. It's more like a one-man radio play than it is a typical audio book. It's also a hell of a value considering it yields 44 hours of listening for only one credit.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Hobb eh?

I assume you've listened to the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson and the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss?

And here's one from left field, Blood Meridian by Cormack McCarthy. It's sort of a horror, western. McCarthy is one of the best writers around today is why I recommend it.

Hell yeah, I'm on a kick with assassins right now. But a horror western also sounds fantastic. I'll check it out for sure!

I keep seeing the King Killer chronicles mentioned everywhere. It's probably time to pick up that trilogy. :D Thanks!
ETA: Waitwaitwait, I've totally read The Name of the Wind. Why didn't I pick up the second book? I remember liking it. Haha, it's totally time.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The book in my sig line has an audio - old-school sword and sorcery adventure if that tickles your fancy.
mybook.to/Exileowton

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have some audiobooks listed. First is in my sig.

However, consider as an alternative, looking into the non-fiction section. The Great Courses on audible has some great books on all kinds of subjects.

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
14 by Peter Clines was a lot of fun. Ray Porter always does a great job, IMO. Urban fantasy with some Lovecraft thrown in.

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite has been the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown read by Tim Gerard Reynolds. Sabriel by Garth Nix narrated by Tim Curry was quite good as well. I thoroughly enjoyed Dennis' Bobiverse trilogy, they are definitely worth checking out.

There are so many good ones, what books have you really liked in the past? What subgenres appeal to you?

Last edited:

gem1122

We can pickle that
Registered
Reaction score
I’m listening to Elijah Wood reading Huckleberry Finn. It’s a lot of fun.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
The book in my sig line has an audio - old-school sword and sorcery adventure if that tickles your fancy.
mybook.to/Exileowton

Just got it. :)

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I have some audiobooks listed. First is in my sig.

However, consider as an alternative, looking into the non-fiction section. The Great Courses on audible has some great books on all kinds of subjects.

Thanks for the tip! I do love astronomy and they're stock full on that topic. I also just got a few of your books. Very excited to start listening.

Thanks jmurray! Just grabbed that one too.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to put a plug in for Battlefield Earth. Don't be turned off by the fact it was written by L Ron Hubbard or that a poor attempt by John Travolta to make a movie of it failed spectacularly. That's flak that detracts from the fact it's a damn good sci-fi book and the audiobook has a decent reader.

It's one of my favorites and I'm a connoisseur of sci-fi and audiobooks.

Last edited:

Masel

Registered
Reaction score
Do you like SF as well? One of my favorite audio books this year was Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The books are written as though they are journal entries, IMs, descriptions of videos and the ravings of an AI. With a full cast this makes for an amazing radio drama. (Take a look at the books if you ever get a chance because there are neat visuals.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of these people; much appreciated.

At some point I hope to have a chance to actually listen to some of them.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of these people; much appreciated.

At some point I hope to have a chance to actually listen to some of them.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
I'm listening to Enchantment by Orson Scott Card - nothing like the Ender or Shadow series. It's contemporary fantasy and I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.