Pence Accuses China of Midterms Meddling; China Said Stop Being Ridiculous

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
So.... Pence has accused Beijing of aggressive interference in the US's midterm elections. Pence goes on to say that Russia's interference pales in comparison to what China is doing. Except Pence has no evidence.

China basically shot back, "Don't be so ridiculous".

IMO, China is not interested in the US midterms or its internal affairs. Trade, population control, and managing the deluge of international info/exposure, are still China's top priorities. Censorship? This has been going on for countless years. Privacy issues? Tied into population control. Military advancement? Yes, isn't that expected of a fast-developing country/economy?

Historically, China comprised warring states that were finally united under one Emperor. Military prowess from a history of war and modernised? Expected.

But, back to Pence and the current administration.

Now that Russia is "no longer a sufficient distraction" (my words), the GOP needs a new "enemy"? And Pence is certainly bigoted enough (IMO) to utter unfounded accusations.

But assuming evidence was found in the future, would these actions surprise anyone?

(I'm pro China, so biased, but acknowledge my home country is quite the prick in certain ways.)

FT news article: https://www.ft.com/content/83d985ca-c7e6-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My opinion? This is all setup so if the Democrats do well in November they can claim the elections were illegitimate.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Spearheaded by Hillary Clinton of course, colluding with the Chinese to undermine the Great Patriotic party.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Given the anti-brown biases of the regime, I'm almost surprised they didn't point to Mexico or further south, if they were going to pick a "totally not Russia meddling, must be someone else" country. Then it wouldn't just be "brown immigruntz is stealin' your JOBSES!", it would be "brown immigruntz is stealin' your THEOCR- er, DEMOCRACY!"

My opinion? This is all setup so if the Democrats do well in November they can claim the elections were illegitimate.

As the song says, B-I-N-G-O!

Well, if that happens, at least the Supreme Court will see past that nonsense and - oh, wait...

Spearheaded by Hillary Clinton of course, colluding with the Chinese to undermine the Great Patriotic party.

They met in the sub-basement under the pizza parlor, I hear.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This is fine smoke to blow over the most recent indictment of Russian operatives (three of whom were charged under Mueller's July list of election hackers).

Anyone thinking Pence is not in this up to his eyeballs...

My personal, as-yet-unsupported theory is that Pence is in it even deeper than the inhabitant of the Oval Office, for the simple reason that the former appears capable of long-term planning (and just plain not opening his yap-hole and spewing random words) and the latter has been accurately described as a "useful idiot": the distraction while the regime solidifies power, to be thrown away (possibly martyred, which would make him exceptionally useful indeed) and replaced as soon as is convenient with the new leader of the future Theocratic States of Amerikkka.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think it's also an attempt to bury the Russian interference charges. And it's telling Pence is in on the effort.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Great. So, conflicting reports from the Chinese media. This is really not helping China. Sigh.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
China is antagonistic to the US. We've all read or heard of the computer chip problem, yes? Personal sources say China is one of the biggest threats to US utilities. (Russia is the other.)

That doesn't mean Pence isn't blowing smoke. China doesn't need to interfere with our midterm elections. The nation that most benefits from the GOP holding all branches of the federal government is Russia.

My guess is that Pence is trying to distract from news of Russian interference. With so much of the Trump Administration tied up with Putin's government, China probably looks like a good target to the one pulling Pence's strings.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
China is antagonistic to the US. We've all read or heard of the computer chip problem, yes? Personal sources say China is one of the biggest threats to US utilities. (Russia is the other.)

Only because the US is being deliberately hardline and antagonistic towards China. Seriously, the Chinese government have their reasons to do what they do. I don't agree with all of them, and I certainly disagree with many of the Chinese government's practices, but our culture is not Western, which the US does not seem to accept despite having had Chinese experts in the government. And as far as the media is concerned: Well, that's another thread.

But I guess no one's read anything about how western companies have been exploiting Chinese workers / Asian workers? I'd link references, etc., but this is not the thread for this particular discussion.

/derail

That doesn't mean Pence isn't blowing smoke. China doesn't need to interfere with our midterm elections. The nation that most benefits from the GOP holding all branches of the federal government is Russia.

My guess is that Pence is trying to distract from news of Russian interference. With so much of the Trump Administration tied up with Putin's government, China probably looks like a good target to the one pulling Pence's strings.

Whatever it is that's behind this idiocy stands none of the current US government in good stead. It's the GOP trying to stir up China and any "irritation" on our part to say "Look! China's guilty, otherwise China wouldn't react so badly!" So, yes, smoke it is. Designed to antagonise.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Only because the US is being deliberately hardline and antagonistic towards China. Seriously, the Chinese government have their reasons to do what they do. [...]

But I guess no one's read anything about how western companies have been exploiting Chinese workers / Asian workers? I'd link references, etc., but this is not the thread for this particular discussion.

I understand that US industries are abusive. Workers are exploited within the US, and apparently businesses are allowed to do worse within certain Asian countries.

But what we disagree about is that China is justified in doing whatever it wants to American resources. I personally know technology experts exhausted from trying to keep foreign governments, including China's, from endangering innocent people.

My point was intended to be that Pence isn't lying about China as a threat. For that reason, he's going to have an easier time building up his smokescreen to cover Russian interference in the elections next month.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
China isn't the threat the media is making it out to be. Sure, propaganda is rife, but it's not the only news available. You might be actually be pleased to find out that safety is on the agenda. And things here have changed a lot over the years. But that's inside knowledge and for another thread.

I think we agree Pence is being a dick, though. And scapegoating China is just more evidence of his being one (not to mention the "cover up" of his involvement with Russia (need a source for this)).

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
We've all read or heard of the computer chip problem, yes?

Which has since been classified as a hoax. BTW, Supermicro's stock dropped to 14 from 20 the day the hack was announced. Welcome to the let's-throw-shit-at-a-stock-to-buy-it-cheap era.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dhs-a...d-apple-in-denying-bloomberg-chip-hack-story/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-companies-denying-china-hacked-their-systems

Personal sources say China is one of the biggest threats to US utilities. (Russia is the other.)

China is in the spy-to-reverse-engineer-and-sell-cheaper business. It's not about to cripple its largest customer any time soon. Unlike Russia.

My guess is that Pence is trying to distract from news of Russian interference.

Pence is in the suck-Trump's-ass-until-he-can-take-his-place business.

-cb