Alternating point of view by chapter, or by book section?

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yes. But it will always move back out again to show a broader perspective.

As to whether what you're currently doing is working, well, the proof, they say, is in the pudding. If your beta readers are giving you honest feedback and no one has said anything, then it might be fine.

Hmmm... Sounds like an omniscient POV for mine then. I've played around with specific 3rd person, but every now and then it just really seems to suit or flow the story to jump somewhere else for a time. Might just be a short time. I've found that works.

As for my betas, well, i'm learning this 'finding good betas is hard' now. Had maybe 10 different people read random this or that (most have read one specific chapter i give out). 3-4 were useless as betas, mainly girlfriends at the time who didn't read, and do i trust someone that close to be unbiased? Others read, but not fiction. Now i've got betas who do read fiction, but genres i dont write, and one published fantasy fiction writer beta, who writes in a diametrically opposite style, and has extremely opposing opinions on the 'art' of writing in general. At this rate, i should have a good beta reader in another 5 years or so. But yeah, so far, all is good, or rather, no complaints (about POV).

I'll eventually mine my stacks for a good example of how i do it, in my writing, and post it up in SYW for a good thrashing. Then we'll know.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'll eventually mine my stacks for a good example of how i do it, in my writing, and post it up in SYW for a good thrashing. Then we'll know.

Can't hurt. And if nothing else, if you spend time in SYW you might meet one or two persons who would make good beta readers. There's also a beta reader section here somewhere.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Either way works.