Alternating point of view by chapter, or by book section?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My novel has alternating point of view by chapter. The protagonists don't meet until act II.

Their storylines revolve around the same issues--but different secondary characters and settings throughout their act I plot lines.

I'm thinking of condensing the act I of one protagonist into 'part I' (first ~5 chapters), the act I of the other protagonist into part II (~five chapters), and then alternating the chapters for the rest of the story. Since they don't meet or overlap in act I, I think it can 'work' structurally.

I've seen this approach used, and enjoy both types of structures in novels.

My reasons lie along the lines of streamlining the reading experience. It also seems like I could tailor my querying a bit by shuffling protagonists like this. I doubt this sort of change would be the make-or-break factor, but it could have some small impact on the reading experience.

My question is whether you have any thoughts about this sort of structure. Five chapters with one protagonist, five with another, and then alternating thereafter through acts II and III. Good, bad, indifferent?

Last edited:

BT Lamprey

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I hate it when I fall in love with a character's voice only to take a long hiatus from them. That's just a matter of taste, though.

I would suggest switching each chapter. But you're right: Both structures can work.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Both approaches can work. I personally don't prefer one over the other. So I say, whichever way you think is better for your story, do it like that.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
So much of this depends on what the book and the characters need. The last two books I've written have been straight up two POVs, alternating POVs with every other chapter. And I'm now writing a third novel that does the same thing. I probably won't keep this up forever, but for now, my story structure seems to prefer jumping from one head to the next and back again. It's a nice way to keep things fresh and also keep providing alternative viewpoints.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Both approaches can work. I personally don't prefer one over the other. So I say, whichever way you think is better for your story, do it like that.

I agree with this; either way can work, depending upon the story and a whole host of other inarticulable specifics. The novel I am working on has a similar structure with alternating POVs, though in my case the two POV characters do know each other, and I also have been playing with different ways of distributing the POV changes to see what effect it has on the overall pacing. In your case, though, if it's not immediately apparent how the two stories are related, it might make sense to alternate more frequently, because if your readers have built up a big investment of five chapters in storyline 1, it might be confusing to suddenly drop into a wholly unrelated storyline for an equally long amount of time. In that case, alternating sooner might make more sense, because your readers haven't put as much investment in the first storyline when you move them to the second; they will quickly grasp the structure and might more readily go along for the ride.

Also: In Stein on Writing, Sol Stein points out that switching between storylines or POVs at cliffhanger moments (even small ones) is a very valuable technique for creating suspense. So if you end a chapter with Character A in a sticky and interesting spot, and then switch to Character B, you create suspense in your readers for how Character A's situation will develop. Then, the idea is, you do the same thing with Character B when you switch back to Character A. I think it can work well as long as you don't leave your readers hanging for too long - don't leave Character A at a cliffhanger and then spend the next 150 pages with Character B. This isn't the only way to create suspense, of course, but it's something to consider as you mess around with your scene order.

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score

I agree one is not better than the other it's a question of what is best for your story. For example, John Fowles' The Collector is the same story from 2 different POVs. It is set up as part I the perpetrator POV and part II the victim POV and it don't believe the story would have been as good if it had been alternating chapters.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
And it doesn't always have to be alternating (1,2,1,2,1,2). In my two POV novel, my main MC can have three chapters in a row before the MMC gets a chance.

But it's all up to the story.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it. Either way can work, depending on how you want the story to unfold.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
One of hte purposes of alternating or multi povs is to facilitate better pacing in a complex, multi-strand novel. The povs should be ordered with an eye towards that end, even if that means being flexible in the structure.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and my instincts are to have it alternate.

But reading the book 'The First Fifty Pages' makes the point that the purpose of each *page* is to make the reader turn to the next page. And that at 50 pages, a reader has invested enough to want to continue for more than just one more page. You build up equity with each page you convince the reader to read.

So, for querying and page requests (ex: when 3 chapters are suggested with a query) I mull over the idea that a single PoV (just to get past the query hurdle) might be worth considering.

Certainly the alternating structure works for the book as a whole. This querying stage seems to be its own beast.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As others have said, either approach can work. Like benbenberi, I don't have a strong preference for either style. As long as both characters have good voices, compelling arcs, and the approach used moves the story along.

And it doesn't always have to be alternating (1,2,1,2,1,2). In my two POV novel, my main MC can have three chapters in a row before the MMC gets a chance.

But it's all up to the story.

This too.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So, for querying and page requests (ex: when 3 chapters are suggested with a query) I mull over the idea that a single PoV (just to get past the query hurdle) might be worth considering.

Do what's right for your story. The factors that contribute to readers wanting to turn the page have little or nothing to do with structure. What matters is having plenty of good conflict and compelling characters with compelling issues, and your overall storytelling ability. Focus on that, because if that's lacking, having the first three chapters in a single POV won't make a lick of difference.

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts. Five chapters seems a long time to stay with one character and then jump back to another one. Maybe that depends on the length of the chapters though.

I started my second novel using alternating POVs for three main characters. One, two, three, one, two, three. I got in a tangle. I got upset. I posted on AW. BethS said I didn't have to follow the one-two-three sequence. DUhhhh. - I have no idea why I had been so determined to keep it that way - After that, I was able to finish the book and have it all make sense.

I guess I'm saying, just do what works for you.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
My novel doesn't have a strict chapter alternation. In earlier drafts, I had complaints that it was too long between switches and was jarring. I set a limit of no more than three chapters in one viewpoint and rewrote bits to work with that. The complaint about being jarring has so far not come up again.

In theory, anything can be made to work, but it's difficult to go for too long without the other viewpoint. The times I've read books where it's split by section have tended to be where there isn't an overlap, such as generational stories.

Will Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
My question is whether you have any thoughts about this sort of structure. Five chapters with one protagonist, five with another, and then alternating thereafter through acts II and III. Good, bad, indifferent?

I think if I read five chapters and then reached a part two with a different POV, I'd feel like I was missing out on finding out what the first character (who I'd probably perceive as the main character) was up to. It might depend on whether your second POV character has been in the novel up until that point. It may also depend on how long your chapters are and how long I'm away from the main character.

Funnily enough, I've actually got a situation similar to this in my current WIP. Part one follows the main character. A few chapters before the end of part one, a secondary character is introduced interacting heavily with my MC, then I give a couple of short chapters from the secondary character POV to round out part one. Part two starts with a bunch of chapters from the secondary character's POV, and the MC's POV gradually filters back in. It feels quite natural to me, but I'll be looking for critique partners and beta readers to see what they think soon.

anouchka-h

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anouchkaharris.com
Personally, I think you should stick with alternating chapters. It can work both ways, but taking a long break from one character would be a bit frustrating for a lot of readers, I think. It might also distract from your narrative. You don't want your reader to be wondering where the first narrator is, or when the second narrator is going to be introduced. I think you could build a lot of tension and anticipation by alternating chapters. You'd keep the reader on their toes, wondering when your characters would finally meet. You could tease this out to good effect.

Although, as you've said, it's about the reading experience and much of that will be subjective. You mentioned 'streamlining' the reading experience and my instinct would be to alternate chapters to keep things smooth. Switching narrators abruptly feels like a break in the rhythm to me.

Hope this helps!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW I tried a few queries with the five-chapter approach and no nibbles. (the original alternating format also had no nibbles.) The five-chapter format is with a beta reader now, too.

hannahward07

Registered
Reaction score
Either way works, but personally I think a long break between POV's gets a bit difficult to read and it can seem jarring coming back to someone after a while away from their perspective. A shorted period of time keeps each character fresh in the reader's mind. I'm currently reading a series of books which has approx. 10 characters who's POV's it swaps between but it's little jumps, usually within chapters, and even though there's so many it really does work.

aryheron

Registered
Reaction score
In my personal opinion, POV changes by chapter is much better than by book section.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth I'm in the alternating chapters camp. I can see where the five chapter approach could possibly work but for continuity (and keeping the frustration levels down) I would prefer alternating - though I agree with some other posters that it doesn't necessarily need to be a strict 1-2. IMO having long chapter breaks between character POV works best if there are more than two POVs.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

LF :)

dssatkinson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My novel has alternating point of view by chapter. The protagonists don't meet until act II.

Their storylines revolve around the same issues--but different secondary characters and settings throughout their act I plot lines.

I'm thinking of condensing the act I of one protagonist into 'part I' (first ~5 chapters), the act I of the other protagonist into part II (~five chapters), and then alternating the chapters for the rest of the story. Since they don't meet or overlap in act I, I think it can 'work' structurally.

I've seen this approach used, and enjoy both types of structures in novels.

My reasons lie along the lines of streamlining the reading experience. It also seems like I could tailor my querying a bit by shuffling protagonists like this. I doubt this sort of change would be the make-or-break factor, but it could have some small impact on the reading experience.

As someone mentioned, if the reader for whatever reason finds your first character very interesting, and they get to stay with that character for five chapters, THEN suddenly is moved on to another character who they are not fond of, it could break their reading experience.

Alternating perspectives by chapter is more appealing to me, it lets the reader see what's happening in various sub plots and gives them a glimpse into more of your story's world. They learn different things about different characters and grow to like / dislike them along side each other. Just my personal opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose to do I'm sure it'll turn out great either way!

Will Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
I think if I read five chapters and then reached a part two with a different POV, I'd feel like I was missing out on finding out what the first character (who I'd probably perceive as the main character) was up to.

To go back on my earlier comment, I've just read a book that did just this, gave me four or five chapters from one person's POV in Part 1, then opened with another POV in Part 2. Not jarring at all. I definitely consider the first POV to be the main character, but the other POV was a welcome change. Admittedly, the chapters aren't super long, which probably helps.

Also, whatever you decide to go with, don't let it get in the way of the story you're trying to tell. If you decide to go alternating chapters but need two chapters in a row from POV2 even though that's not the way you've been doing it up until that point, that's fine.

Last edited:

jmurray2112

Registered
Reaction score
I like your structure. The fact that they don't meet to me means you get cumulative time to get to know each one before they do. I also like your choice of bouncing back and forth once they do meet. I think it will work well.