Book Reviews on Editing Blog--yea or nay?

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I've recently rebooted my editing blog, and I've started adding book reviews to my usual content. The concern is that because my website is geared towards writing advice and showcasing what kind of service I could provide as an editor (or, you know, warning off potential clients), I'm worried that book reviews might clutter the site. So far, they've driven a bit of additional traffic, but they're also geared towards a much wider audience than the one that I usually focus on. So, who keeps their reviews next to their writer-oriented content and who has a separate page for their book blog? What seems to work for you?

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Though I can't answer based on my blogging experience, I'll venture an opinion based on visiting your blog and reading the posts.

While I found your reviews wonderfully-written, detailed, and thoughtful, they seem to reflect the POV of a reader, not an editor. You might consider presenting some specific and clearly-labelled editor-oriented perspectives, either in a separate section of the review or integrated within it. This could include (for example) an editorial perspective on arc, development, word choice, and so forth -- perhaps presented as examples or introductions of "how to" (or "how not to") for writers.

Good luck!

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I know this is a bit on the late side (life happens), but I just wanted to thank you guys for answering. I had been using them as bonus posts, but it sounds like they may be better off moved to a different site because the reviews really are for a different audience. So, you've all been really helpful :)

thomasdown92

Registered
Reaction score
Creating a different offtopic section for slightly unrelated posts is okay. I recently submitted an article about writing to a science blog and they published it under the offtopic category.