• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How bad is this mistake?

Tobswrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long-time lurker here. Glad to have finally registered.

The day before entering a prestigious unpublished manuscript competition, I decided to replace some slightly overused words throughout my book. Unfortunately, I changed 'staring' to 'gawking' in the first paragraph of the second chapter, only now to discover that I've used the same word three sentences before and somehow completely missed it! I also made a similar mistake in the middle of chapter three. This is quite frustrating, as the rest of the manuscript is clean and without amateur repetition errors, and I've only used 'gawking/gawk' three times in the entire manuscript. I'd already gone through the manuscript to replace overused words too, so my perfectionist self has come back to bite me.

Technically you can resubmit the manuscript (though it's frowned upon), however I'm seriously considering it. I've spent years rewriting and polishing for this competition, and can't believe I've made such silly last minute mistakes that may give judges the wrong impression. Just interested to hear what others think I should do. Considering this occurred early in the book, would this give you a bad impression if the writing was otherwise error-free?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sounds like a fairly minor issue, IMHO. I don't know that any publisher would say "Wow, this is exactly the story I've been looking for! I was hooked from the first word! Oh, wait - they reused 'gawking' a few times... never mind, that's an entirely unfixable error. Into the trash heap..."

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I'm with Brightdreamer on this one--it's probably not a huge issue and most people are fairly understanding about the fact that unpublished MS's often have moments of clunkiness. If you've only changed one word and resubbing really is frowned upon, I'd say leave it alone.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Considering this occurred early in the book, would this give you a bad impression if the writing was otherwise error-free?
You are the only one who is going to care about it. If this was a thousand word short story contest, it might have an impact, but if you have two examples of clunky word repetition in an entire BOOK it's not going to have any effect at all.

Tobswrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

The issue is that the judges don't have time to read all the submissions in full--the first few chapters will determine whether they continue on. Thankfully, I didn't touch the first chapter, which is error-free. I'm just afraid they'll assume the rest of the book is full of clunky word repetition when it isn't. However, if I'm overthinking, and it's a minor issue, I suppose I'll wait and hope for the best.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you were to re-submit, in spite of it's being 'frowned upon', they are likely to think that the changes you made were far worse that a couple of clunky repetitions. (And, every word does not, can not, be unique.)
Better that they should read 'gawking' a couple of times, than that they should think you made major last minute changes.

And sometimes 'gawking' is more accurate than 'staring'.

aryheron

Registered
Reaction score
That's why books are edited by other people after they are submitted by the author, because publishers are really expecting to find these kind of mistakes in submitted manuscripts... I was talking with an author the other day that said that authors almost never notice their own mistakes of this kind (repetitions, typos...) and other people do the work for them. Everything will be okay.

MichaelC

Registered
Reaction score
I would not re-submit to fix a minor repetition. Once it is done and submitted try not to worry about it too much.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Don't worry about it. They're looking for raw potential, mostly because perfection doesn't exist. They know any script who goes on to win will still need editing.